Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

MCNPA

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1920 on: April 17, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
Interesting Temple article on their recruiting

http://temple-news.com/sports/2013/04/16/cranney-a-new-take-on-recruiting-after-jordan-decision/

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/index?topId=9160495 (Made the front page of Recruiting Nation).

Apologies if these have already been posted.

A Philadelphia native hasn’t committed to play men’s basketball at Temple since Scootie Randall joined the team in 2008.

Sounds like our fans talking about NYC players.

Yea, the idea that our posters don't bad mouth nyc recruits after they sign elsewhere is laughable. 
It happens every. single. time.

Sure it happens, but nowhere near the level of Philly fans. I mean they are literally tweeting an 18 yr old kid tearing him apart. We don't do that with Lawrence or McCullough. Philly is the trashiest sports city and always has been.

I'm actually going to agree with Joe3, to some extent.  Yes, we b!tch everytime we lose a local recruit to another school, but the Temple fans have been screaming from the rooftops over Jordan's decision for days.  From all of the boards and comment threads I've read, the Temple fans have been relentless in trashing Jordan, Lavin & STJ over his decision.  When we lost J Lawrence, sure, we vented, but not to the same extent the Temple fans have been doing over Jordan, at least from what I have read.

Because we don't have enough fans that care and/or are social media savvy ;)

Actually, just the other day, SJ's twitter page posted something about having the most active twitter base out of any Big East school. So that theory is not true at least as far as twitter goes. I remember being surprised, but there was some kind of map showing the traffic to prove it. Being totally objective, I haven't seen any insulting posts towards either recent NYC recruit we just recently lost out on. Jordan has gone so far as to tweet stuff like "Ok try putting salt on my name like a slug", "Most of you Temple fans aren't even from Philly anyway!", etc. It's not just their fans either...it's the Philly media including bloggers and journalists for local papers that tore him apart. Sorry, but that does not happen with our base.

It is evident from Rysheed Jordan's tweets that he is really catching heat from Philly fans and he is hurting from it.  He tweets about not caring what others think, but it's pretty evident that he does.  They must be pretty brutal.  Good for him to get out of town.  SJU fans certainly don't do that, and while our message boards at times can seem harsh, I can assure that most others are much, much worse.

Moose

« Reply #1921 on: April 17, 2013, 12:37:59 AM »

http://temple-news.com/sports/2013/04/16/cranney-a-new-take-on-recruiting-after-jordan-decision/

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/index?topId=9160495 (Made the front page of Recruiting Nation).

A Philadelphia native hasn’t committed to play men’s basketball at Temple since Scootie Randall joined the team in 2008.

Yea, the idea that our posters don't bad mouth nyc recruits after they sign elsewhere is laughable. 

Sure it happens, but nowhere near the level of Philly fans. I mean they are literally tweeting an 18 yr old kid tearing him apart. We don't do that with Lawrence or McCullough. Philly is the trashiest sports city and always has been.

I'm actually going to agree with Joe3, to some extent.  Yes, we b!tch everytime we lose a local recruit to another school, but the Temple fans have been screaming from the rooftops over Jordan's decision for days.  From all of the boards and comment threads I've read, the Temple fans have been relentless in trashing Jordan, Lavin & STJ over his decision.  When we lost J Lawrence, sure, we vented, but not to the same extent the Temple fans have been doing over Jordan, at least from what I have read.

Actually, just the other day, SJ's twitter page posted something about having the most active twitter base out of any Big East school. So that theory is not true at least as far as twitter goes. I remember being surprised, but there was some kind of map showing the traffic to prove it. Being totally objective, I haven't seen any insulting posts towards either recent NYC recruit we just recently lost out on. Jordan has gone so far as to tweet stuff like "Ok try putting salt on my name like a slug", "Most of you Temple fans aren't even from Philly anyway!", etc. It's not just their fans either...it's the Philly media including bloggers and journalists for local papers that tore him apart. Sorry, but that does not happen with our base.

My point Joseph is our fans don't Twitter stalk.  And I'm happy we don't.  Early on me and Dave were quick to point out that in many cases it 'could' be interpreted as violations.  Plus the fact that it just looks downright disgusting as we're seeing with Rysheed.

Just because we have 10k Twitter fans and Gtown and Marquette have 8k and Nova has 5k while your beloved Creighton has 6k, that really means squat as we know from our attendance and all around interest.  Our athletic dept was one of the first on Twitter and very aggressive in that field and props to them for it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1922 on: April 17, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »

My point Joseph is our fans don't Twitter stalk.  And I'm happy we don't.  Early on me and Dave were quick to point out that in many cases it 'could' be interpreted as violations.  Plus the fact that it just looks downright disgusting as we're seeing with Rysheed.

Just because we have 10k Twitter fans and Gtown and Marquette have 8k and Nova has 5k while your beloved Creighton has 6k, that really means squat as we know from our attendance and all around interest.  Our athletic dept was one of the first on Twitter and very aggressive in that field and props to them for it.

We have a very strong twitter following and that's one of the top ways to market this day in age. It will help get the SJ brand name out there and hopefully trending in NY a lot this coming season. I think it just speaks to the fact that there are many SJ fans out there, but they don't want to come out unless the team proves it has truly turned a corner and ready to consistently make the tourney again. The base exists, now the team has to win to bring them out. Pretty damn impressive to have a bigger twitter base than other teams with much more recent success than us. I can only imagine if we made the Elite 8 or something how crazy our twitter footprint would be.

As for Rysheed, even his mother was concerned about all the hate. There have also been threats I heard. As I said, Philly has the reputation of a trashy sports city for a reason. Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Temple...doesn't matter. They were never known as classy. I think Rysheed will love the NY spotlight and all the love he's getting. By the way he just dropped 45 pts in a game earlier today. The kid is a man child.

« Reply #1923 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12:17 AM »
I'm not really sure how adults can bash an 18 year old kid for making a decision about where he wants to go to college.  Why are Phili kids expected to stay in Phili and same for NY?  Part of college is going out and experiencing something and someplace new to you.  Why should that exclude athletes?  Clearly it's nice for the team when a player doesn't want to leave home and you keep him.  But he's not getting to experience a huge part of what makes a man grow up, living away from home and mommy and daddy. 

Poison

« Reply #1924 on: April 17, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »
I'm not really sure how adults can bash an 18 year old kid for making a decision about where he wants to go to college.  Why are Phili kids expected to stay in Phili and same for NY?  Part of college is going out and experiencing something and someplace new to you.  Why should that exclude athletes?  Clearly it's nice for the team when a player doesn't want to leave home and you keep him.  But he's not getting to experience a huge part of what makes a man grow up, living away from home and mommy and daddy. 

You're not wrong, but what puzzles many is the details. Lawrence left NY to go to Cincinnati. Not Florida or California. You do not grow up by going to live in a Midwestern dump.

Durand Scott went to Miami. Ervin Walker went to Florida. What are you gonna do?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:19:47 AM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #1925 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
After morning signing Rysheed off to Kentucky for Derby Classic. Joe 3 hiding in Jordan's gym bag as I speak.

pmg911

« Reply #1928 on: April 17, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »

You're not wrong, but what puzzles many is the details. Lawrence left NY to go to Cincinnati. Not Florida or California. You do not grow up by going to live in a Midwestern dump.

Durand Scott went to Miami. Ervin Walker went to Florida. What are you gonna do?

Maybe the kids that leave NYC just don't like it here....

« Reply #1929 on: April 17, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
When your favorite team signs a major player usually you have interest in the press conference to hear what the player has to say. You are in the minority IMO. Why not be excited about it? No need to get all sour...this is a special time in the program where we might seriously break through in a major way next year because of him.

I heard what he and his coaches had to say.  Check out the articles from last week.  And I am excited.  I'll be sure next time to be more excited.  Maybe I'll even sign onto the Temple boards and talk trash ;)

Haha!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #1930 on: April 17, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »

I didn't suggest that it wasn't the case. But to go to Cincinnati is senseless.

Moose

« Reply #1931 on: April 17, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »

I hope next time we play in the NCAA tournament its in Cincy and Poison has to go.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #1932 on: April 17, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »

I hope next time we play in the NCAA tournament its in Cincy and Poison has to go.

I have a big TV.

« Reply #1934 on: April 17, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
It will be nice to root for a Jordan #23 and not have my heart ripped out by one. 

« Reply #1935 on: April 17, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
Jordan looks about 6'3 7/8" in the signing picture.  :)

paultzman

« Reply #1936 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
Press conference article today;
“@jmverlin: First of a few things up this afternoon. @sheedjordan signed his NLI to @STJ_Basketball this morning, CoBL was there: http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/04/nli-signing-finalizes-rysheed-jordans-tough-decision/

MCNPA

« Reply #1937 on: April 17, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Don't think this was posted yet.  If it was, just ignore...

Brandon Austin & Rysheed Jordan Dominate up Donofrio Classic

« Reply #1938 on: April 17, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »
Derby Classic is Friday, hopefully its on television

« Reply #1939 on: April 17, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
http://distilleryimage4.s3.amazonaws.com/008475a2a77311e2a6df22000aaa21db_7.jpg

What's with the gold medal?

"Jordan entered the Roberts Vaux gym at around 9:30 in the morning, wearing a St. John’s shirt, St. John’s hat and his 2013 state championship medal around his neck. "

Damn it was hot in Jordan's bag...he never unzips that thing.  :tickedoff: