Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #2000 on: April 20, 2013, 01:45:18 AM »
I was at the Mets game, didn't see the Derby.
How did his handle look?  And even though he was looking to dish, did he penetrate?   We've heard a lot about rysheed's ability to get to the lane, any evidenc of that tonight?
Handle looked good, forced a couple of penetrations and turned it over. Only saw last 6-7 minutes of the first half and all of the second. Wait for mcnpa to weigh in as he will probably say he planned the turnovers as part of some reverse strategy or something.  :) ;) But hey it is great to have him and he still looks like a thoroughbred.

« Reply #2001 on: April 20, 2013, 02:12:30 AM »
I was at the Mets game, didn't see the Derby.
How did his handle look?  And even though he was looking to dish, did he penetrate?   We've heard a lot about rysheed's ability to get to the lane, any evidenc of that tonight?

He really didn't try to penetrate or score much during the game. Most of his assists came on fast breaks and on the perimeter but were impressive none the less. The most impressive thing to me was how unselfish he was. Only took about 4-5 shots and gave up a lot of easy looks for his teammates.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2002 on: April 20, 2013, 02:14:38 AM »
Not sure if this is true, but it definitely appeared to me that they had the country kids playing a lot more. It seemed to be a very locally-oriented thing, so Jordan barely saw any time as it was. In the little time he was out there, he missed all his shots, including an air-ball from 3 (or a long 2). He showed athleticism, great court vision, and very good passing ability. He had a few fast break opportunities, but he was very humble and always looked to dish instead of finish with a monster dunk. I was actually surprised given that the kid is a 25 PPG scorer...you would think he'd want to score a bit. He was so selfless it almost made me concerned.

IMO he had a few last second unnecessary passes when he was wide open on a fast break with no one between him and the hoop. It's one of those things that makes you say, "Why pass it? Just take it yourself...". In a real game an unnecessary last second pass can result in a turnover instead of a sure 2 or 3 points. Love to see his humbleness, but he needs to be aggressive for us and penetrate. I think we need him to score more than we need him to pass. Just my 2 cents.

« Reply #2003 on: April 20, 2013, 02:39:02 AM »
Not sure if this is true, but it definitely appeared to me that they had the country kids playing a lot more. It seemed to be a very locally-oriented thing, so Jordan barely saw any time as it was. In the little time he was out there, he missed all his shots, including an air-ball from 3 (or a long 2). He showed athleticism, great court vision, and very good passing ability. He had a few fast break opportunities, but he was very humble and always looked to dish instead of finish with a monster dunk. I was actually surprised given that the kid is a 25 PPG scorer...you would think he'd want to score a bit. He was so selfless it almost made me concerned.

IMO he had a few last second unnecessary passes when he was wide open on a fast break with no one between him and the hoop. It's one of those things that makes you say, "Why pass it? Just take it yourself...". In a real game an unnecessary last second pass can result in a turnover instead of a sure 2 or 3 points. Love to see his humbleness, but he needs to be aggressive for us and penetrate. I think we need him to score more than we need him to pass. Just my 2 cents.

He played have the game. There was 12 people on each team. No one got much more minutes than anyone else.

« Reply #2004 on: April 20, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »
His coach said the difference in Jordan's game when comparing his freshmen year to his senior, was as a freshmen he looked to pass a lot. As he grew, he got into the leader role and took scoring upon himself. This is good for us because we could get 2-4 years out of him if he passes more early in his career.

« Reply #2005 on: April 20, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
Pretty much what everyone said. Had about 8 assists (but no points) with the ball not being in his hands a lot. Keith Frazier was taking every shot when they were in the game. He did look good in transition making some nice passes. Forced a couple of things and his shot was off yesterday, but still looked good moving around and getting the ball out quickly and accurately to open players. Underrated trait imo.

desco80

« Reply #2006 on: April 20, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
Thanks for the reports guys. 

« Reply #2007 on: April 21, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
Stats for the game:

http://basketball.realgm.com/highschool/derby_classic/Stats

Rysheed had by far the most assists (9 assists, with the next most being 4) and apparently scored 2 points (shot 1-5). 1 steal, 3 rebounds also in 18:00 which was about average (little bit less than average). He was in pass mode basically. Nothing much you can take out of this game.

MCNPA

« Reply #2008 on: April 21, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
Stats for the game:

Rysheed had by far the most assists (9 assists, with the next most being 4) and apparently scored 2 points (shot 1-5). 1 steal, 3 rebounds also in 18:00 which was about average (little bit less than average). He was in pass mode basically. Nothing much you can take out of this game.

He will be our PG.  His assists are the best thing we can take away from the game.  A facilitator first, scorer second is what we want.

crgreen

« Reply #2009 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
Stats for the game:

9 assists and 3 rebs from a pg in EIGHTEEN minutes of action?   My friend there is MUCH you can take from that.  Lavin  played Phil 33 mintues a game this past season and got 2.6 assists and 2.7 rebs.   NO ONE on the St. Johns roster had 9 assists in a game last year.   Our facilitators got 6 or more only 7 times all season.  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:29:11 AM by crgreen »

« Reply #2010 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »
Stats for the game:

9 assists and 3 rebs from a pg in EIGHTEEN minutes of action?   My friend there is MUCH you can take from that.  Lavin  played Phil 33 mintues a game this past season and got 2.6 assists and 2.7 rebs.   NO ONE on the St. Johns roster had 9 assists in a game last year.   Our facilitators got 6 or more only 7 times all season.  :)

I hear you, but its an all star game though and I for one knew he could pass. But I agree his impact on this team will be huge.

crgreen

« Reply #2011 on: April 21, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
Stats for the game:

I hear you, but its an all star game though and I for one knew he could pass. But I agree his impact on this team will be huge.

9 is an exceptional number for an All Star game - to do it in 18 minutes is staggering.   For instance,  Kasey Hill had 1 in the McD Game, Harrison had 4.    Looking back at the major HS All Star games the last 3 years (McD, Jordan Brand, Hoop Summit, Deby Classic) - no one BUT Rysheed has totaled 9 assists.   Kyle Anderson at the McD last year with 8 came closest.  The last I could find to exceed it was at the Hoop Summit in 2009 - some kid named John Wall got 11 - but he played 30 minutes. :)

« Reply #2012 on: April 21, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
9 is an exceptional number for an All Star game - to do it in 18 minutes is staggering.   For instance,  Kasey Hill had 1 in the McD Game, Harrison had 4.    Looking back at the major HS All Star games the last 3 years (McD, Jordan Brand, Hoop Summit, Deby Classic) - no one BUT Rysheed has totaled 9 assists.   Kyle Anderson at the McD last year with 8 came closest.  The last I could find to exceed it was at the Hoop Summit in 2009 - some kid named John Wall got 11 - but he played 30 minutes. :)

I agree its fantastic, but could there be a correlation between those guys mostly looking to score in this type of atmosphere while RJ was looking to pass? Not discrediting his work at all and that is a great # for the minutes he got but it is after all an all star game where guys are mainly throwing up shots as soon as the ball touches their hands and defense isn't a major factor. I just personally never take these games seriously. Maybe thats on me.

Ps. that is a fantastic stat crgreen and you never fail to amaze me.

jayro

« Reply #2013 on: April 21, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »
Tells me he's a pass first PG.  Appears to be a really good one-just what the doctor ordered.

« Reply #2014 on: April 21, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Stats for the game:

Disagree. It was an all-star game-no defense. Many of his assists were on 3 on nothing fast breaks, or a simple perimeter pass for a long 3. Not much you can take away from THIS game despite the gaudy stats. That's not to say he isn't the second coming of Magic, Isaiah, or other such diety.

« Reply #2015 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Forget about the stats for a second, I would love Jordan to be able to create by driving and either scoring or dishing. We have lacked a guard being able to beat his man off dribble.  Hopefully Jordan is that guard freeing up men for the kick out with the weak side help coming to have to guard him.  Plus being able to get the lane makes one of the big men for other team to leave his post, freeing up a weak side rebound or dish off to a big for an easy bucket.  He can make guys like hopper, Marco and Gift play to their strengths of an open uncontested three or a an easy dump off to Gift for a layup. 

boo3

« Reply #2016 on: April 21, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Forget about the stats for a second, I would love Jordan to be able to create by driving and either scoring or dishing. We have lacked a guard being able to beat his man off dribble.  Hopefully Jordan is that guard freeing up men for the kick out with the weak side help coming to have to guard him.  Plus being able to get the lane makes one of the big men for other team to leave his post, freeing up a weak side rebound or dish off to a big for an easy bucket.  He can make guys like hopper, Marco and Gift play to their strengths of an open uncontested three or a an easy dump off to Gift for a layup.

^^ Bingo

« Reply #2017 on: April 21, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
Excitement abounds and wit good cause.
But lets remember that PG is the hardest position to master in D1 ball. We only had one frosh who excelled from day one: EB.
Just sayin hope fo the best but keep them expectation in perspective.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #2018 on: April 21, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »
But lets remember that PG is the hardest position to master in D1 ball. We only had one frosh who excelled from day one: EB.

How do you say El Savior in Philadelphian?

« Reply #2019 on: April 21, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »

Cook?