Big East shakeup

• 88 replies

MCNPA

Re: Big East shakeup
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 07:38:42 AM »
Just as a side note.  If Texas A&M leaves for the SEC, I can actually see them taking another team.  Possibly a team like Louisville or even WVU.

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
Just as a side note.  If Texas A&M leaves for the SEC, I can actually see them taking another team.  Possibly a team like Louisville or even WVU.

None of the Big East football schools have much to offer the SEC! Kentucky owns the Louisville market. UWV is not a big enough state school and has a small stadium by SEC standards. If----and it Is still is a BIG IF ----A&M bolts for the SEC, the SEC will want a Missouri and the St. Louis market before they start drooling over Morgantown or any Big East school. Egos and dollars are not what make great conferences---success on the field or court do. The hatred between Texas and Texas A&M is HUGE! I know, I lived there. Every school in the state hates UT with a jealous passion! This move is a "Texas Thing" and has ZERO to do with the "little" Big East football schools! I repeat----the BE will be fine without one or two of its football schools.

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 11:48:23 PM »
Miami and to a lesser extent Va Tech saved the Big East.  Syracuse and/or Pitt were goners in the early 90's without football.  Being an independent was not an option anymore.

You got that right.  BC wasn't staying long either.  While that saved the BE then, what has happened since has gotten totally out of hand (17 teams).

i was in nebraska a couple of summers ago and all everyone talked about was husker football.  i was in cincinnati last september and not one person talked about cincinnati football.

that's the state of big east football today.  adding army, navy, temple or air force won't change this.

the acc took our best football teams and they still suck.

With the possible exception of South Florida, I doubt you will hear more football talk over basketball talk in any BE town.   In Cincy, I suppose most of any college football talks would be about the Buckeyes.

My how things change.  Temple, the only school to be removed from the BE (they were a football only school in the conference).

It is funny how those teams (Miami, BC and Va. Tech) were better in the BE (and that includes when they played out of conference opponents) than they have been since switching conferences.  And the ACC has not been very good as a whole.  Going against the SEC for recruits is not easy.

'85 to be fair the Va Tech has been solid.  Miami and FSU have not held up their own in the new ACC.  That is about to change though.  FSU is a legit NC contender this year and Miami is will be pretty good this year and are on their way back to being a dominant program.

You get FSU and Miami back at a national level and the ACC is going to be just fine.  Trust me, Miami and FSU will get their kids in recruiting.  Florida is loaded as a state.

You are right about Va Tech.  But I still question FSU and Miami, both of whom can't seem to get out of their own way.  You would think they would be recruiting better but it hasn't been that great in the past few years.  I would love to see both back on top.

Newsman 13, I love college football (with several favorite teams) and a New Yorker but you are 100% right   about the New York Market and college football.
FSU had #1 recruiting class last year and is well on their way to another topped ranked class-for instance they have gotten commitments from 4 four or five star recruits from the state of Alabama this year who were being heavily recruited by Bama and Aubarn including the top rated QB in the nation Jameison Winston who had been a strong Bama lean for the past 2 years Although expected to be high first round draft pick in next years BB draft.

)

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
Dont forget NBC is now owned by Comcast.  Comcast is really trying to make NBC/NBC Sports into an ABC/ESPN mold and it'd be smart to hop on while its possible.  The Big East passed up a ton of cash but I bet a more northeast centric company like Comcast really sees the value here and will shell out the $$.  They're really trying to upgrade their sports portfolio now (just signed MLS which means they're gunning for the World Cup as well) and the Big East could be one of the centerpieces.

LJSA

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2011, 04:23:54 AM »
Dont forget NBC is now owned by Comcast.

Or, as they are know in my household, "Evil #$%^ers."

Gumby

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »
Not to sound like I am teaching my strategic planning class, but I would like to think that the BE brass is thinking about the future of the BE.

The first order should be what is their collective vision for the BE in 5 or 10 years.

As we all know, we were formed as, basically, a basketball conference, since then our football competitiveness as been mixed.

We seem to be at a cross roads.  We can continue to be reactive, or as we say in AZ act as a pinata.  By that I mean we can let other conferences break parts of us off with their bats.

Or we can be the bat and swing at other conferences' pinatas.  We will never be the SEC in terms of football, but we can be better.

With other conference in turmoil as to collapsing or expanding, now is an opportunity for the BE to improve, football-wise.

I am all for being aggressive.  Identify what FB schools should be targets for inclusion into the BE.  In doing so, we must decide if we want to cover the country or just say east of the Mississippi.

Some of the names mentioned have included Kansas, K-State, Duke, Penn State, BC, VT, Maryland, just to name a few.  Why not add Texas and Texas A&M into the mix?

Now before you tell me that could lead to a 30 team conference, those schools are just on a wish list, which should be listed in some type of priority order.  Remember, our recruiting sites on JJ for each year have more recruits than the number of scholarships available.

If the BE say is a 5 out of a 10 in terms of FB power now, what schools would get us to an 8, with the SEC being a 10.

Can we bring in the schools I mentioned?  Would any of those schools want to leave their present conferences? Who knows?  The BE should go into this wanting to be a good FB conference and continue to be a great BB conference.  Therefore, they should put an aggressive plan together.  Be the Bat and not the Pinata!

Do I think the BE would do this, probably not, but I would.  Conferences are thinking about raiding!  We have BB $ and some very large markets.  And yes, we would probably have to lose some schools like SH, Marquette, USF, etc.

Imagine adding Kansas to the BB mix.  I would personally go after Duke.  Yes, they have strong Tobacco Road ties with NC, WF and NC State, but their FB program is darn poor.

End of sermon!

Moose

« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
Big East Commissioner John Marinatto said that he "has been in constant contact" with Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe and ACC Commissioner John Swofford "in recent days and has suggested the three meet to discuss conference realignment." Marinatto: "I thought it would be important for us to meet face-to-face and take the lead in trying to do things the right way." He also has spoken with NCAA President Mark Emmert, but said that Emmert is "not planning to hold any meetings with conference commissioners" on realignment (AP, 8/16).

Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »
Big East Commissioner John Marinatto said that he "has been in constant contact" with Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe and ACC Commissioner John Swofford "in recent days and has suggested the three meet to discuss conference realignment." Marinatto: "I thought it would be important for us to meet face-to-face and take the lead in trying to do things the right way." He also has spoken with NCAA President Mark Emmert, but said that Emmert is "not planning to hold any meetings with conference commissioners" on realignment (AP, 8/16).

The timing may be just right! The Big 12 could have been down to the "Little 9" had not Texas A&M been spurned by the SEC but it could still fold if Texas goes rough and becomes an independent in football like ND. Kansas would make the Big East the perennial top basketball conference and legitimize its football programs.  The ACC schools lose money in football and the Miami scandal will hit their football alignment hard. It is no secret the Big East wants BC back and is secretly eying Maryland and Duke. As for 16 team super conferences, that is a BIG split of the profits and since most college teams lose money I am not sure of the logic there if the returns are marginal given the investment in travel, etc.

MCNPA

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
As I've been saying all along, big east should grab BC back and take Maryland.  Good geographic match ups and fit for the league.  Big east schools must realize that most of the schools not in the "super conference" plan for see huge conferences.  Big east needs to make,strategic aquisitionsmonly and embrace the superpower basketball league that we have.  Not sure duke helps football-wise as an acquisition.  I don't think the ACC needs nor probably wants Duke football-wise.  They don't have a real draw. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:14:54 AM by MCNPA »