Coaches vs Ca. brackets

• 25 replies

MCNPA

Coaches vs Ca. brackets
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
Brackets announced today on ESPN I believe.  My guess is we'll end up in Zona's bracket.  Just a hunch. 

Moose

Re: Coaches vs Ca. brackets
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
Brackets announced today on ESPN I believe.  My guess is we'll end up in Zona's bracket.  Just a hunch. 

Thought I heard a few weeks ago we would be playing them and A&M and Miss St. would be the other side.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
Not sure Moose, they just said the brackets would be announced today.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
Per Goodman twitter St. John's vs Arizona Nov 17th.  Damn this schedule is nasty!!  Battle of youth in the early season.  They have a heck of a young roster and one of the few schools that can match our young talent.  Josiah is nasty.  Not sure they'll like the zone early though... :)

Not only do we play in the Big East, but we play arguably the #1 and #2 in the PAC-10, and #1 in SEC. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:05:21 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »
Some Article Highlights:

Semifinal schedule for the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer
Nov. 17: Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State (7 ET, ESPN2); St. John's vs. Arizona (9 ET, ESPN2)
Nov. 18: Third-place game (4:30 ET, ESPN2); Championship game (6:30 ET, ESPN2)

Initial thoughts:
St. John's coach Steve Lavin will coach his first games since going public with his prostate cancer diagnosis, so expect an outpouring of support at the Madison Square Garden event benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer. Arizona might have lost Pac-10 player of the year Derrick Williams to the NBA draft and point guard Lamont Jones to a transfer, but St. John's was gutted even more, losing 10 seniors plus talented forward Dwayne Polee II to a transfer off their NCAA tournament team. We'll get a chance to possibly see a whopping 13 freshmen from ESPNU's top 100 begin their careers. The Arizona-St. John's game features 10 of them, with ESPNU ranking the Red Storm's recruiting class third in the nation and the Wildcats' seventh.

Matchup I can't wait to see: Arizona-St. John's at the Garden is quite a showcase for the newcomers looking to make a name for themselves in the early going, and they'll have plenty of opportunities to shine. Zona point guard Josiah Turner should step right in after the transfer of Jones, who helped the Wildcats get to the Elite Eight. For St. John's, it'll be interesting to see how the freshmen and junior college transfer God's Gift Achiuwa fare in their first major test. But don't forget about Arizona's returning players, including Kyle Fogg and Solomon Hill, who are out to prove they're more than capable without Williams around to lead them.

Key players to watch:

Sir'Dominic Pointer, St. John's -- Steve Lavin landed the No. 6-ranked small forward by ESPNU, and the 6-foot-6 swingman with the catchy name should get to show off his athleticism while earning immediate playing time with his ability to defend.

Predicted winner: Texas A&M gets past Mississippi State based on its frontline of Middleton and Loubeau and then shows it's the more experienced team against either St. John's or Arizona. The Aggies might have to adjust to Kennedy's style after the departure of Mark Turgeon, but they'll get the advantage of being able to work out the kinks in Europe before the start of the season.

Eamonn Brennan: Texas A&M
Diamond Leung: Texas A&M
Dana O'Neil: St. John's

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/33623/bracket-reveal-2k-sports-classic

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
Damn, playing at the same time as the Jets.  Not to mention I have a class on Thursday nights.

Gumby

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
Now if they were playing in Tucson, wow!

Coach Lavin would probably ban me any way from the game, as I am 0-2 at Coach Lavin west coast games (SMC and UCLA). 

It should be a good early test for both schools.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
Damn, playing at the same time as the Jets.  Not to mention I have a class on Thursday nights.

You're right! Absolutely terrible timing.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
Per Goodman twitter St. John's vs Arizona Nov 17th.  Damn this schedule is nasty!!  Battle of youth in the early season.  They have a heck of a young roster and one of the few schools that can match our young talent.  Josiah is nasty.  Not sure they'll like the zone early though... :)

Not only do we play in the Big East, but we play arguably the #1 and #2 in the PAC-10, and #1 in SEC. 

And the #2 in the ACC.

I mean look at this.  STJ has 6 of Katz's present preseason top 10 on their schedule.  9 of the top 25, 10 if they face A&M.  And that doesn't include UCLA.   Brutal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=6513197

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »
This schedule is tougher than watching another interview of Kirstey Alley talking about her weight

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
Ho snap!
Thats a primetime matchup.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:31:09 PM »
PS what do the coaches have against California? ; P

kob24

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
does anyone have a schedule thus far

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:01:19 AM »
Dam that  schedule murder row!  I figure we will rematch St. Bon & Fordham , throw in LIU coming off a good season. We need a local cupcake how about Iona  ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:01:46 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

boo3

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
 Our schedule this year will pay huge dividends the following year.  These freshmen will grow up fast.  I love it.

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
does anyone have a schedule thus far

KOB, as far as I can tell here's Non-Conf games we know so far.  PS Dave, tell Jaden to research his dates, Arizona is not after Kentucky and Detroit.  BE wise the schedule's probably at least a month away:

Nov 3:      St Marys (MD) Exhibition / Alumni Hall
Nov 7-11: 2 Regional Games for 2K Sports Classic TBD (or I simply can't remember who's playing) / Alumni Hall
Nov 17:    Arizona / MSG
Nov 18     2K Championship vs Miss St or TX A&M / MSG
Dec 1       Kentucky / Rupp Arena
Dec 5       Detroit / Detroit  (Dickie V Night)
Dec 19     Fordham / MSG
Jan 28     Duke / Cameron
Feb 18     UCLA / MSG

I believe it's a max three more games that can be added.  Also of the 9 games above 6 are on national TV.  Pretty impressive.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:36:54 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »
Does anyone remember us having a tougher schedule than this so far ? I remember back when Jarvis was coach we had some tough schedules but don't remember is they were as tough as this

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »
Does anyone remember us having a tougher schedule than this so far ? I remember back when Jarvis was coach we had some tough schedules but don't remember is they were as tough as this

Omar's freshman year we opened up by beating #12 Kentucky and then losing the next day to #7 Kansas in a close game.  They also played GW ranked in the top 25 with SirValient Brown for a bit that year, an NCAA tournament Ohio St. team, a bad Michigan team, and #3 Duke. 

Moose

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »

Omar's freshman year we opened up by beating #12 Kentucky and then losing the next day to #7 Kansas in a close game.  They also played GW ranked in the top 25 with SirValient Brown for a bit that year, an NCAA tournament Ohio St. team, a bad Michigan team, and #3 Duke. 

Totally forgot we played Ohio St that year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »

Ken Johnson was back for his senior year :(  They smacked us.

Totally forgot we played Ohio St that year.