Player Numbers

• 25 replies

Moose

Player Numbers
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
Posted this in the Moe thread where there was discussion but also thought it deserved its own call-out.

STJ Basketball Twitter posted the player numbers-

1- Greene
3- Gift
4- Moe
5- Pelle
10- Nuri
11- DeAngelo
14- Jakarr
15- Dom
22- Amir
Remember who broke the Slice news

kjd01067

Re: Player Numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
Good sign the AD Dept thinks everyone will qualify in my opinion

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:12:02 PM »
Their classes should be close to over if not over already.  It is possible they already know whether they are done with their work or not and if they are to be "qualitized".

Moose

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:16:28 PM »
Their classes should be close to over if not over already.  It is possible they already know whether they are done with their work or not and if they are to be "qualitized".

That damn word makes me cringe.
Did Baldi hijack your login?

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »
Sorry, but I think it is hilarious.   ;D

Gumby

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
I wonder what Richardo and KA's (being hopeful) favorite numbers are?

Moose

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »

Kyle wears 5 for St. Ant's and the Playaz.

Ricardo wore 24 when I saw him at the Rumble in the Bx.  I've also seen him wearing 20, 21, 31, and 42.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 02:29:41 PM »

Ricardo wore 24 when I saw him at the Rumble in the Bx.  I've also seen him wearing 20, 21, 31, and 42.

Seeing as his moniker for twitter is something like the beastIam21, I'd think it's safe to say he'd like #21 :)

Moose

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »

Seeing as his moniker for twitter is something like the beastIam21, I'd think it's safe to say he'd like #21 :)

And I don't think we would give out 21.  Do you?

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »

And I don't think we would give out 21.  Do you?

I hope we wouldn't. 

Gumby

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »
Ah #21 has been a pretty good number for a few of our guys over the past few years, namely Malik and Walter.  If Ricardo takes it, he will, hopefully, add to its great history.

I guess we do not retire numbers (or do we?).  Is Chris' #20 still open?

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
I would think 13, 20 & 21 are not available.

Gumby

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »
Forgive me, but being away from the Big Apple for so long I am not up to speed on what is inside CA.  Do we have a BB HoF?  If not, under the Lavin era we probably should.  Not only retire certain #s, but honor the so many great players,  as well as the great coaches, we have had in a 100+ years.  I guess that could carry over to the newly renovated MSG, where jerseys could be hung.

By the way, one # that should be retired, if we ever do, is #30.  That belonged to Bob Z.  A great player for us.  He had a sad life after St. John's.

We should also make a big thing when a former player returns to either CA or MSG.  CR- I liked the way UCLA did it in Pauley Pavilion.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
Forgive me, but being away from the Big Apple for so long I am not up to speed on what is inside CA.  Do we have a BB HoF?  If not, under the Lavin era we probably should.  Not only retire certain #s, but honor the so many great players,  as well as the great coaches, we have had in a 100+ years.  I guess that could carry over to the newly renovated MSG, where jerseys could be hung.

By the way, one # that should be retired, if we ever do, is #30.  That belonged to Bob Z.  A great player for us.  He had a sad life after St. John's.

We should also make a big thing when a former player returns to either CA or MSG.  CR- I liked the way UCLA did it in Pauley Pavilion.

They have glass display cases in the lobby that have trophies, pictures, etc.  In the arena they have banners for some of the more influential players in the program's history.

Gumby

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Thanks!

Sounds like some improvements could be made in this area.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »

There aren't many numbers available for college players.  Its only 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55.  So you can't exactly start retiring numbers left and right.

I don't think anyone has worn 20 since Mullin.  21 they gave to Sealy and for someone reason I think someone briefly had it after him but not for long.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 03:19:45 PM »
Left and right. We don't have any. How about a few starting with leading scorer Mullin. N CAR has retired numerous numbers. AS far as the limited numbers available-change the rule as Woody Paige would say.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
Left and right. We don't have any. How about a few starting with leading scorer Mullin. N CAR has retired numerous numbers. AS far as the limited numbers available-change the rule as Woody Paige would say.

He was suggesting Bob Z.  I wasn't around to see him play but for everyone that suggests Bob Z, I'm sure someone else will make a point for the initial 10 people selected into that STJ Legacy thing a few years ago.  That is left and right to me.  Those 10 names were honored, they should do more of those.

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »

He was suggesting Bob Z.  I wasn't around to see him play but for everyone that suggests Bob Z, I'm sure someone else will make a point for the initial 10 people selected into that STJ Legacy thing a few years ago.  That is left and right to me.  Those 10 names were honored, they should do more of those.
No offense intended. Was reading new posts and lost context. Still think we can retire a few numbers. At least the leading scorer of all time and then maybe anyone that surpasses his record.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »

No offense intended. Was reading new posts and lost context. Still think we can retire a few numbers. At least the leading scorer of all time and then maybe anyone that surpasses his record.

Personally I think the only STJ numbers that should be retired are Mullin and Sealy.  After that if I was in charge I need a lot of reasoning to retire more.  I would honor a lot of people but taking a number out of rotation will have to be special.