Player Numbers

• 25 replies

crgreen

Re: Player Numbers
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
Left and right. We don't have any. How about a few starting with leading scorer Mullin. N CAR has retired numerous numbers. AS far as the limited numbers available-change the rule as Woody Paige would say.

He was suggesting Bob Z.  I wasn't around to see him play but for everyone that suggests Bob Z, I'm sure someone else will make a point for the initial 10 people selected into that STJ Legacy thing a few years ago.  That is left and right to me.  Those 10 names were honored, they should do more of those.
No offense intended. Was reading new posts and lost context. Still think we can retire a few numbers. At least the leading scorer of all time and then maybe anyone that surpasses his record.

Personally I think the only STJ numbers that should be retired are Mullin and Sealy.  After that if I was in charge I need a lot of reasoning to retire more.  I would honor a lot of people but taking a number out of rotation will have to be special.

Ah - the sound of Whippers Snapping!

Hall of Famer Dick McGuire (and the '44 NIT Title) doesn't qualify (maybe if his St. Johns career hadn' t been interrupted  by 2 years service during WWII)?   the 24pt 16 reb per game LeRoy Ellis?   The 21pt 14 reb Sonny Dove?  The CAREER 21 pt 16 reb Mel Davis?

LOVE Mullin and Sealy.  The 23 pt 7reb  Sealy (Career 19/7).  The 23pt 4 reb Mullin (Career 20/4).

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »

There aren't many numbers available for college players.  Its only 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55.  So you can't exactly start retiring numbers left and right.

after watching college basketball for years, i didnt know this, nor did i ever notice.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »

There aren't many numbers available for college players.  Its only 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55.  So you can't exactly start retiring numbers left and right.

after watching college basketball for years, i didnt know this, nor did i ever notice.

Yeah I noticed it a few years back.  Don't get why.  The reasoning was 5 fingers on the officials hand so if the foul is on 15 he does 1 and 5.  But what I don't get is the NBA officials have the same type of hands. (Cue Tim Donaghy joke) And meanwhile you can have guys wearing 99 in the NBA.
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJU85

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
St. John's has not "officially" retired any men's basketball numbers.  Several in the "Legends Club" are hanging from the rafters, but they are not retired.  I am aware of three numbers that St. John's has retired in sports.  Jack Kaiser's for baseball, and two players who were killed in seperate car accidents (incidentally within a year of each other I believe), one in Woman's basketball and one in Hockey.

Someone mentioned No. 13 being retired and I assume for Mark Jackson.   I don't recall anyone wearing 21 after Malik Sealy and no one has won 20 since Chris Mullin, 13 was worn after Mark left by Barry Milhaven.

UNC as pointed out has retired numbers.  According to Wikipedia a total of 43 jerseys have been honored and hang from the rafters, 8 of which have been retired.

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
Retiring numbers is great and all.  I'm still waiting to retire some banners to the rafters though.  We have a long and fantastic history, but our. Post-season successes have been few since the 1950's.  I think we should continue to keep these numbers alive and the tradition going.  Our biggest retirement in the last 30 years has been Louie and hats not a good thing.  Time to start doing justice to the numbers and jerseys once again.  Then we can worry about retiring numbers.

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 12:18:05 AM »
St. John's has not "officially" retired any men's basketball numbers.  Several in the "Legends Club" are hanging from the rafters, but they are not retired.  I am aware of three numbers that St. John's has retired in sports.  Jack Kaiser's for baseball, and two players who were killed in seperate car accidents (incidentally within a year of each other I believe), one in Woman's basketball and one in Hockey.

Someone mentioned No. 13 being retired and I assume for Mark Jackson.   I don't recall anyone wearing 21 after Malik Sealy and no one has won 20 since Chris Mullin, 13 was worn after Mark left by Barry Milhaven.

UNC as pointed out has retired numbers.  According to Wikipedia a total of 43 jerseys have been honored and hang from the rafters, 8 of which have been retired.
Hey Dave give credit where credit is due=I was the one who posted about UNC having numerous retired numbers. LOL  :) :) :)