Remember the name Cassan Breeden?

• 2 replies

Marillac

Remember the name Cassan Breeden?
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
Possibly no name sums up the dark years like that one for me.  I want to say in 2005 it came down to us and Florida State for the SF.  I remember on his announcement day I kept sneaking away from the resort I was at in Mexico to see if he had verballed to us.  I thought that was a game-changer.  I saw his name in the RSCI rankings....80th.  He was a SF/PF.  I was really upset when we mised him although his career amounted to litttle.

Well, we signed FOUR forwards ranked above him in the RSCI for 2011 alone and we are about to add two more.  Things have really changed around here.

Moose

Re: Remember the name Cassan Breeden?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »
Possibly no name sums up the dark years like that one for me.  I want to say in 2005 it came down to us and Florida State for the SF.  I remember on his announcement day I kept sneaking away from the resort I was at in Mexico to see if he had verballed to us.  I thought that was a game-changer.  I saw his name in the RSCI rankings....80th.  He was a SF/PF.  I was really upset when we mised him although his career amounted to litttle.

Well, we signed FOUR forwards ranked above him in the RSCI for 2011 alone and we are about to add two more.  Things have really changed around here.

But....................

To take what you wrote a step further it shows the unpredictability of rankings.

Breeden went on to transfer at 3 lackluster years at FSU to College of Charleston.  At FSU he averaged 7, 9 and then 15 mpg in his years there to go with 3, 3, and 5 ppg.

He scored 8 ppg in over 20 mpg his senior year at Charleston.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:52:44 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

Re: Remember the name Cassan Breeden?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »

But....................

To take what you wrote a step further it shows the unpredictability of rankings.

Breeden went on to transfer at 3 lackluster years at FSU to College of Charleston.  At FSU he averaged 7, 9 and then 15 mpg in his years there to go with 3, 3, and 5 ppg.

He scored 8 ppg in over 20 mpg his senior year at Charleston.

Oh, of course...there are no guarantees especially down around #80.  I wouldn't be too surprised to see Phil Green end up the best player out of this class.  The fact that Lavin wanted him so bad after he landed this class speaks volumes.  Some of our guys are bound to be misses...but you gotta love our odds with som many!

My only point, after coming across that name in the RSCI rankings, was to point out where we are today compared to then. I can't say I ever wanted a recruit more and today a kid ranked #80 would be a good number 12 or 13.