Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story

• 141 replies

dR3w

Re: Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »
But the investigation has been known by the NCAA for a year now.  Who's to say he hasn't been investigated already?

That's if you believe the NCAA spin doctors.  Maybe the feds knew about this for a year.  I'm not so sure about the NCAA.

Moose

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »
But the investigation has been known by the NCAA for a year now.  Who's to say he hasn't been investigated already?

That's if you believe the NCAA spin doctors.  Maybe the feds knew about this for a year.  I'm not so sure about the NCAA.

That article is as long as the Bible but pretty sure MIA official also mentioned it.  But your right, who knows what is true and not.
Remember who broke the Slice news

dR3w

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »
You know its a messed up system when the people who typically commit the offenses (players and agents), cannot be held accountable, but the school and coaches are.  How is that supposed to work?

SJUFAN

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
The scandal has reached New York, with a line in the Yahoo! report that Shapiro once entertained current St. John's director of basketball operations Moe Hicks, the former Rice High coach, along with other coaches at a Miami nightclub in 2008.

"I don't know what that's all about," Hicks said last night. "I was there with a bunch of coaches but I never had any dealings with the man."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/08/18/2011-08-18_ncaa_must_raze_canes.html#ixzz1VO0SyQ1U

Enough said!  Since when is attending a social event, regardless of who is hosting it, a crime? If there was no one-on-one relationship regarding a specific player and since the 100 hours of interviews disclosed zero about coach Hicks then why is this a St. John's issue???

Exactly....Its a non issue for STJ. 

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
The scandal has reached New York, with a line in the Yahoo! report that Shapiro once entertained current St. John's director of basketball operations Moe Hicks, the former Rice High coach, along with other coaches at a Miami nightclub in 2008.

"I don't know what that's all about," Hicks said last night. "I was there with a bunch of coaches but I never had any dealings with the man."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/08/18/2011-08-18_ncaa_must_raze_canes.html#ixzz1VO0SyQ1U

Enough said!  Since when is attending a social event, regardless of who is hosting it, a crime? If there was no one-on-one relationship regarding a specific player and since the 100 hours of interviews disclosed zero about coach Hicks then why is this a St. John's issue???

Moe Hicks is mentioned in passing in a story about a convicted felon and professional liar and this is supposed to be news?

Come on.

MCNPA

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »

Good to hear. 

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »
People need to stop jumping all over mo hicks.

DFF6

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »
Lenn Robbins has added his two cents on the Mo Hicks story.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_hicks_78MUCjE7FG2yaCWz6K1vAK

MCNPA

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
Can somebody post content?  Can't get it on iPad.

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:04 AM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly, he went out with coaches. Any high school or AAU coach who visits a school will be taken out and shown a good time. They do not always know who helped to get them in the club or whose tab the meals and srinks are on. People on this board who want to throw Mo Hicks under the bus are overreacting.

Logen

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »
Barry Alvarez comes across as a genius in the Post story. He claims he was introduced to Shapiro once, never had any other contact other than that introduction, but invested $1M with the man??

Logen

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2011, 08:26:54 AM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly, he went out with coaches. Any high school or AAU coach who visits a school will be taken out and shown a good time. They do not always know who helped to get them in the club or whose tab the meals and srinks are on. People on this board who want to throw Mo Hicks under the bus are overreacting.

I am in no way intimating that Hicks did anything wrong but anyone involved in coaching SHOULD know who they are dealing with, the proof of that is the existence of this thread.

MCNPA

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011, 08:27:48 AM »
I think people are under reacting.  It's an insidious connection that we just don't need.  There was no reason for him to be there with Miami coaches nor Shapiro.  This is just a connection we don't need when things are going real well for us.  Nobody going to buy the wrong-place, wrong-time scenario.  Best say our goodbyes to Hicks and move on IMO.  Dissociating from Hicks at this point would be a good PR move and tell people we aren't involves in that type of business. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:29:32 AM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
Can somebody post content?  Can't get it on iPad.

The film of scum that convicted Ponzi-schemer and former University of Miami booster Nevin Shapiro has smeared across the college sports landscape and made its way here.

St. John’s director of basketball operations Moe Hicks is pictured with Shapiro in a 2008 photo in the VIP section of the Dolce Ultra Lounge in Miami, pulling the Red Storm into the periphery of a story no athletics program in the country wants to be associated with.

Hicks, who did not join the St. John’s staff until 2010, was a guest of former Miami assistant basketball coaches Jorge Fernandez and Jake Morton, Yahoo! Sports reported.

Repeated calls and text messages to Hicks were not returned, but St. John’s associate athletic director for sports communication, Mark Fratto, forwarded a statement to The Post.

“The article involves a NCAA inquiry into another university’s athletics program,” said Fratto. “As is standard protocol in NCAA cases like this, we have no comment.”

Hicks was the director of the AAU Gauchos and the basketball coach at Rice HS at the time. He was hosted by Fernandez, and his night at the Miami Beach hot spot was paid for, which is an NCAA violation.

St. John’s faces no fallout from the 2008 incident although Hicks might be asked to speak to NCAA personnel who are investigating the shocking alleged violations that occurred at Miami from 2002-2010 centering on Shapiro.

“If I’m St. John’s the last thing I want is for my director of basketball operations to be in a picture with a guy in Miami who is considered the biggest cheater in the history of college sports,” one Big East basketball person told The Post. “They’ve got it going there and you want to be as far away from this story as possible.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_hicks_78MUCjE7FG2yaCWz6K1vAK#ixzz1VTfPenFc

Moose

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 08:34:30 AM »
Best say our goodbyes to Hicks and move on IMO.  Dissociating from Hicks at this point would be a good PR move and tell people we aren't involves in that type of business. 

And that can in turn piss off the NYC basketball scene yet again.  I posted the contents of the article.  After reading it tell me if you feel different.

MCNPA

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »
Best say our goodbyes to Hicks and move on IMO.  Dissociating from Hicks at this point would be a good PR move and tell people we aren't involves in that type of business. 

And that can in turn piss off the NYC basketball scene yet again.  I posted the contents of the article.  After reading it tell me if you feel different.

I don't feel different.  I agree with the person quoted that said they wouldn't want to have a DOBO that was anywhere near this thing.  Perception unfortunately sometimes becomes reality.  I don't see anybody im the NYC basketball scene that can get pissed at SJU for separating from this.  Hire somebody in the NYC bball scene without this type of baggage.   If one of Hicks players didn't go to Miami shortly after this incident, I might feel differently.  That isn't the case and Durand Scott committed shortly after.  Would people rather we wait around and see if a smoking gun is revealed?  I know at SJU isn't culpable for anything done at Miami, but the perception will be that we have a cheater on staff and that perception can pervade to the rest of the staff.  It's not worth it in my opinion. 

I'm frankly surprised nobody agrees with me on this one. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:48:55 AM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »

I don't feel different.  I agree with the person quoted that said they wouldn't want to have a DOBO that was anywhere near this thing.  Perception unfortunately sometimes becomes reality.  I don't see anybody im the NYC basketball scene that can get pissed at SJU for separating from this.  Hire somebody in the NYC bball scene without this type of baggage.   If one of Hicks players didn't go to Miami shortly after this incident, I might feel differently.  That isn't the case and Durand Scott committed shortly after.  Would people rather we wait around and see if a smoking gun is revealed?  I know at SJU isn't culpable for anything done at Miami, but the perception will be that we have a cheater on staff and that perception can pervade to the rest of the staff.  It's not worth it in my opinion. 

You agree with the rival BE coach saying something but  lessen the impact of the "St. John's faces no fallout"?

All we have to do is be careful with him on staff as it 'may', entice the NCAA to poke around.  Lavin has to weigh the pro's vs. the cons there.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:51:01 AM by Moose »

MCNPA

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »

You agree with the rival BE coach saying something but  lessen the impact of the "St. John's faces no fallout"?

All we have to do is be careful with him on staff as it 'may', entice the NCAA to poke around.  Lavin has to weigh the pro's vs. the cons there.

We face no official fallout from the NCAA, I know that 100%.  The fallout is in the court of public opinion, where we risk keeping a guy on staff associated with cheating.  In turn we are perceived as cheaters.  In my mind, in no way, shape or form is it worth keeping Hicks on.  I know there are no repercussions for his prior actions.  It remains though that we could get a real bad rep just by having him on staff.  You might nit agree, but I don't think the risk is worth the potential dividend, whatever that may be.  To this point, we have one NYC player in Harkless on board and I don't believe future NYC recruiting will be contingent on having Hicks here.  I dont want to see our program smeared as another program that does things below the table.

Moose

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »

We face no official fallout from the NCAA, I know that 100%.  The fallout is in the court of public opinion, where we risk keeping a guy on staff associated with cheating.  In turn we are perceived as cheaters.  In my mind, in no way, shape or form is it worth keeping Hicks on.  I know there are no repercussions for his prior actions.  It remains though that we could get a real bad rep just by having him on staff.  You might nit agree, but I don't think the risk is worth the potential dividend, whatever that may be.  To this point, we have one NYC player in Harkless on board and I don't believe future NYC recruiting will be contingent on having Hicks here.  I dont want to see our program smeared as another program that does things below the table.

Did Hicks not have a flawless pristine reputation prior to this happening?

Now allow me to play Devils Advocate.  I don't know the exact answers to some of these questions but throwing it out there.  He went out to dinner with 2 coaches.  Is that a violation?  Can the coaches pay?  Can the booster buy the coaches dinner and what if Hicks happens to be there?  Scott wasn't there.  We have 4 pages on a vague one sentence inclusion in massive article that puts Hicks in the same place as this booster.  We're not talking about a bag of cold hard cash here.

Coaches violate rules all the time.  They don't get blackballed forever.  Even Todd Bozeman is back.  I don't think the NCAA has a van parked outside Morgan St campus.  Read the Gary Parrish article I posted earlier in the thread.  That alleviated a lot of my fears.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:14:44 AM by Moose »

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
Just don't think it's worth the perception problem we could face just for a DOBO, regardless of the fact that there are no potential repercussions to be levied by the NCAA.