Tarik Turner to SNY

• 52 replies

Moose

Tarik Turner to SNY
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
Looks like Tarik may be off of our radio broadcasts.

Received this from someone at STJ-

Congrats to Tarik Turner who has accepted a job with SNY to cover College Basketball for them.  Tarik was the voice of St. John’s radio broadcasts for the past 8 years.  Well deserved!
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

Re: Tarik Turner to SNY
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:57:40 AM »
Real good for him.  Congrats. 

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
Big upgrade for Tarik. Wonder who will be the new color guy.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
Great for Tarik and St.John's. Tarik is always prepared and is unbiased in his commentary, so unlike some other former college players. Good for SNY for recognizing Tarik's skills. Add this to the long list of reasons to look forward to St.John's Basketball. Can't wait for 2011-12 season to begin.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
I saw that Brandon Tierney left NY to go to San Fran so maybe Tarik is taking over the Red Storm Report on SNY

SJU85

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »
Good for Tarik who appeared to work hard on his craft.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
We need to get off Bloomberg, awful signal and no online streaming.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »
tarik was worse than the stutterer in one flew over the coo coo's nest...plus a total homer who couldn't massage norm enough.

maybe he takes roberts' place at sny.  that'll be a wash.

hopefully, brian mahoney is available for the tarik spot.  he's a great listen.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
Good guy! Good for him!

Moose

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
tarik was worse than the stutterer in one flew over the coo coo's nest...plus a total homer who couldn't massage norm enough.

Um what school/team paid announcer isn't a 'homer'?

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »

Suzyn Waldman and John Sterling are pretty unbiased

Moose

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »

Suzyn Waldman and John Sterling are pretty unbiased

Haha

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
Krusty - very typical cheap from the angriest poster on the net.

Tarik works his ass off at the announcing gig and has earned everything he has gotten. He is so much better now then he was when heThis is certainly not his full time job and does it because he loves the game and he loves his school. Anyone who remotely knows the guy would never take cheap shots at him like this.

I am happy to see a great guy and a former St. John's player doing well.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »
we'll have to have a "who's angrier" contest.  you, who comes up with a long list about a fellow poster who you say is an expert on everything...or me who has these incredibly great insights.

oh...and compared to any other job on the planet...hard work in the same sentence as broadcasting is an oxynice person.

i wish tarik the best.

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »
But considering Tarik has a day job he deserves some credit. Like PMG said He is night and day better than when he started.  Look I thought even Norm did a solid job in the studio this past year. I don't know if that is what Tarik is going to do but it is nice to see our own move up in the world.

Congrats Tarik

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 07:46:24 AM »
Krusty - the "long list" was an ongoing joke with Marillac and if you read his next post after it, he got it, sorry you didn't.

You would take a cheap at Jesus Christ  himself if the mood fit you that day...

Poison

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:16 AM »
Great for Tarik and St.John's. Tarik is always prepared and is unbiased in his commentary, so unlike some other former college players. Good for SNY for recognizing Tarik's skills. Add this to the long list of reasons to look forward to St.John's Basketball. Can't wait for 2011-12 season to begin.

I'm happy for him because he's a good guy, but do you really think that he has skill?

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »
We're not talking rocket science here, but if the definition of skill is the ability to use your knowledge effectively and communicate,then Tarik fits the bill. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing these windbags from other schools on the air. Tarik is without shickt which seems to be a prerequiset for getting on the air.

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »
Since there is not a won loss record attached to broadcasters, their success or skill is pretty subjective. I think it is pretty easy to identitify absolutely terrible announcers and for the most part people agree on who the best announcers are. Though there are gray areas such as Vitale and Gus Johnson who people either seem to love or hate. The rest just pretty much blend into the background. I think at worst Tarik falls into the blend in category.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »
He's no Bob Costas, but he's a nice guy, and I'm happy for him. Interviewing someone, and calling a game are drastically different skills. I know a guy who does fill in play by play for a major league baseball team. He went to school for it. He's gifted. However, there was no advantage for him in getting the job he has.

When you think about skill in the broadcasting arena, just imagine how much better the field would be if former athletes were never allowed to call a game again. I can't think of one athlete that can actually do it without making up words or speaking like an 8 year old.