Tarik Turner to SNY

• 52 replies
Re: Tarik Turner to SNY
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Nice going Tarik Turnover.  Just remember no critiques of ball-handling

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »
Krusty - the "long list" was an ongoing joke with Marillac and if you read his next post after it, he got it, sorry you didn't.

You would take a cheap at Jesus Christ  himself if the mood fit you that day...
i don't want to turn this great site into a clone of big east boards.  i'll leave it at that.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
Will have to take off his rose colored glasses. His blind support during the Numb Robbers years was truly vomit inducing. His pt g play during the Felipe Zendon yrs was the teams biggest weakness-he didn't earn the nickname Tarik Turnover for nothing. That being said he is a fellow Johnnie and I wish him well with his new gig and with all other aspects of his life.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:08:43 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Will have to take off his rose colored glasses. His blind support during the Numb Robbers years was truly vomit inducing. His pt g play during the Felipe Zendon yrs was the teams biggest weakness-he didn't earn the nickname Tarik Turnover for nothing. That being said he is a fellow Johnnie and I wish him well with his new gig and with all other aspects of his life.

So y'all insult him, call him a silly name and then congratulate him and wish him luck? 

Lordy what my grams would say!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »

Maybe it was for nothing!
Most to's in a season:
Turner 64
Lawrence 123
Hardy 73
Hill 125
Hatten 129
Cook 148
Barkley 77

I guess Omar Turnover doesn't have the same ring. One thing is clear I think Tarik's SJU career needs to be reevaluated and his name should be brought up with all of the SJU great points!

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
you are what your record says you are...bill parcells.

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
you are what your record says you are...bill parcells.

Well if you are judging Tarik's record by  number of TO's then he is the best SJU point of the modern era.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »
i guess that's why to's aren't as important as everyone thinks.

i will say i'm surprised about omar cook's turnover number.  he was a brilliant player.  now i know why we were sub .500 that year.

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »

i will say i'm surprised about omar cook's turnover number.  he was a brilliant player.  now i know why we were sub .500 that year.

I agree that TO's are overated. And I also agree that Tarik did not play as well as we had hoped. If anything he sort of just blended in and did not bring much to the table. Lopez, James Scott and Derek Brown all had the ball a lot to various degrees of turmoil. Tarik was not nearly as bad as some make him out to be and the "turnover" nickname  was nowhere near deserved. Geno still holds the belt of worst starting SJU point guard of my lifetime!

Moose

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »

Omar's TO's were passes to players below his level that couldn't handle them.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »

Most to's in a season:
Turner 64
Lawrence 123
Hardy 73
Hill 125
Hatten 129
Cook 148
Barkley 77

I guess Omar Turnover doesn't have the same ring. One thing is clear I think Tarik's SJU career needs to be reevaluated and his name should be brought up with all of the SJU great points!
Tarik split pt g time with another ST J immortal-Mo Brown. Geno  was a Normy and not a BE caliber g. Cook Hardy Hill Barkley Hatten could all score and did-Tarik did nothing well-plus they were all more creative and tried to make something happen. Tarik just tried to make the simply pass and still turned the ball over.

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »

So y'all insult him, call him a silly name and then congratulate him and wish him luck? 

Lordy what my grams would say!
He is a public figure and a big boy-I am sure he can take and is used to some criticism. I can separate not caring much for him as a PLAYER and wishing him well as a person and in his life.

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
Tarik,

Having had the opportunity to see you play at St. John's and speak to you on several occasions, all I can say is that you are a classy guy who has been nothing but great representative of St. John's!

I couldn't be happier for you. You deserve it!

Hope you will continue to cover our games on occasion. I always felt that you gave clear analysis of what was going on in our games.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »

Most to's in a season:
Turner 64
Lawrence 123
Hardy 73
Hill 125
Hatten 129
Cook 148
Barkley 77

I guess Omar Turnover doesn't have the same ring. One thing is clear I think Tarik's SJU career needs to be
reevaluated and his name should be brought up with all of the SJU great points!

Hatten had turnovers because he had no choice but to do everything himself. He was one of the best players we have ever had. He'd have 5 turnovers, 30 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 7 steals.

Turner would have 6 turnovers, 2 points, a rebound and an assist in 20 minutes. He was overmatched for 4 years. As a recruit he was overshadowed by Lopez and Hamilton, but he was a highly regarded recruit that in many way helped to seal Brian Mahoney's fate as a D1 basketball coach, and start us on a 20 year downward spiral.

That said, he worked hard. He played hard, and by his senior year, he was contributing. I always felt that his biggest problem on the court was a lack of identity. He wasn't a point guard. He should have played the 3.

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 01:03:24 AM »

When you think about skill in the broadcasting arena, just imagine how much better the field would be if former athletes were never allowed to call a game again. I can't think of one athlete that can actually do it without making up words or speaking like an 8 year old.

Are you kidding me?  You've obviously never heard Walt "Clyde" Frazier call a Knicks game!  :2funny:

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 08:26:42 AM »

Most to's in a season:
Turner 64
Lawrence 123
Hardy 73
Hill 125
Hatten 129
Cook 148
Barkley 77

I guess Omar Turnover doesn't have the same ring. One thing is clear I think Tarik's SJU career needs to be

Hatten had turnovers because he had no choice but to do everything himself. He was one of the best players we have ever had. He'd have 5 turnovers, 30 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 7 steals.

Turner would have 6 turnovers, 2 points, a rebound and an assist in 20 minutes. He was overmatched for 4 years. As a recruit he was overshadowed by Lopez and Hamilton, but he was a highly regarded recruit that in many way helped to seal Brian Mahoney's fate as a D1 basketball coach, and start us on a 20 year downward spiral.

That said, he worked hard. He played hard, and by his senior year, he was contributing. I always felt that his biggest problem on the court was a lack of identity. He wasn't a point guard. He should have played the 3.

Do you really think you need to explain to me the difference between Hatten an Turner? Tarik was a role player on his teams. He was not what we expected but he was not near as bad as some people are suggesting. Those teams sucked becuase Mahoney was an overmatched terrible coach and his two best players were selfish and flawed. Also from what I have been told those teams did not particularly like one another mostly out of jealousy towards Lopez. Turner did not have a good career, but he is clearly not to blame for those teams problems. My only point with the TO's was to point out that if you want to continue the myth that Tarik was turnover prone, the stats do not back it up in the least. As far as your imaginary stat line for Tarik, if he had 6 to's a game over a 30 game season, simple math says that would equal 180 for a season. We have already established Tarik's season high for TO'S was 64.  I think instead of worrying about Tarik the broadcaster or Tarik's to's we should start a thread about the SJU math program. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:39:16 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling, they are the best ex players Ive heard do a game

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
All I know is my friend was ripping him at QC.  And my friend aint that good...

Poison

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »

Most to's in a season:
Turner 64
Lawrence 123
Hardy 73
Hill 125
Hatten 129
Cook 148
Barkley 77

Do you really think you need to explain to me the difference between Hatten an Turner? Tarik was a role player on his teams. He was not what we expected but he was not near as bad as some people are suggesting. Those teams sucked becuase Mahoney was an overmatched terrible coach and his two best players were selfish and flawed. Also from what I have been told those teams did not particularly like one another mostly out of jealousy towards Lopez. Turner did not have a good career, but he is clearly not to blame for those teams problems. My only point with the TO's was to point out that if you want to continue the myth that Tarik was turnover prone, the stats do not back it up in the least. As far as your imaginary stat line for Tarik, if he had 6 to's a game over a 30 game season, simple math says that would equal 180 for a season. We have already established Tarik's season high for TO'S was 64.  I think instead of worrying about Tarik the broadcaster or Tarik's to's we should start a thread about the SJU math program. :)

Tarik Turner is a really nice guy, and I'm really happy for him, but he was one of the worst players in the history of St.John's basketball. Eugene Lawrence was better than him. By quite a bit.

Stats can be confusing if you don't have ALL of them in front of you. The reason why his season high was 64 turnovers
is partly because he couldn't keep his job, and partly because he wasn't actually playing the role of a point guard for most of his time here. He played 19 minutes a game as a senior.

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
Congratulations Tarik!
You deserve it. He did a real good job. He was better every year.