What can we really expect realistically from the team this year?

• 35 replies
Yes we have mostly new guys coming in but they are also some of the best recruits in the nation. What are your predictions for the season?

Poison

Re: What can we really expect realistically from the team this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:56 PM »
I expect the NIT. There is (almost) zero experience returning.

Lavin himself told me they'd be "ducklings", but to watch out for 2012-2013.
Over the years, I've learned not to expect much from players during their first year.

Hopefully, no one player will be given the brunt of the attention. If they all go through it together with an even amount of pressure, we might wind up surprised, but I still tend to lean towards the idea of being reasonable.
They are all basically freshman, and they've never played together before.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:11:47 PM »
If we get Anderson for next year would it be unreasonable to expect to be ranked for a few years?

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:18:06 PM »
I dont think any of us can honestly make a real prediction about what is going to happen this year. None of us have seen all or even most of these play over a long period of time. We don't know much about the team or how they will react to playing in college and in the BE. This team has a lot of talent so they could be a team that gels quickly and makes the NCAA tournament but also they could be a team that struggles in the BE and being so young and being a mediocre NIT team. I tend to think we will be pretty good and very competitive but who knows until we see this team on the court.

Wods317

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
If we get Anderson for next year would it be unreasonable to expect to be ranked for a few years?

The better question is if we get Anderson would it be reasonable to expect to the make the final four the next few years. I think we will be ranked the next few years after this one regardless of who else we sign because we are already pretty stacked and when this talent matures we are going to be very dangerous.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:26:38 PM »
It really is a great time to be a Johnnie's fan! The future is so bright and New York basketball is back. I want to go to the garden and have the place ROCKING being ranked again. I'm going to the Oakdale, Long Island campus for graduate school so I feel a bit disconnected but Queens is only 45 minutes away and I will definitely be going to games!

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »
Predictions are futile.  Regardless, ill predict that we are the 9th big east team to make it into the NCAA's this year due to a fantastic SOS. We'll improve a lot and peak late.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
.500 this year with elite eight the following year.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »
I'm thinking along the lines of Marillac. The one thing that would change that to me is Nuri. If he comes in and pulls a Hatten/Dwight Hardy and if GG gives us a nice contribution and couple that with solid production with attitude from Harrison then it's a best case scenario and we have a shot at the NCAA's

I can't remember the last time I actually complained about a schedule being too tough but this schedule is killer. I'm not complaining too much just that I think it's going to hurt us in the wins column this year but the experience these kids will get are what's going to make us start destroying teams the following year

crgreen

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
I'm thinking along the lines of Marillac. The one thing that would change that to me is Nuri. If he comes in and pulls a Hatten/Dwight Hardy and if GG gives us a nice contribution and couple that with solid production with attitude from Harrison then it's a best case scenario and we have a shot at the NCAA's

I can't remember the last time I actually complained about a schedule being too tough but this schedule is killer. I'm not complaining too much just that I think it's going to hurt us in the wins column this year but the experience these kids will get are what's going to make us start destroying teams the following year

Up and down play, due to inexperience.    But what might be accomplished by years end?   Think about it.   1 thru 10 of the roster.   Is there any of those 10 spots other than returnee Stith that won't have superior TALENT to last years team?

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »

Up and down play, due to inexperience.    But what might be accomplished by years end?   Think about it.   1 thru 10 of the roster.   Is there any of those 10 spots other than returnee Stith that won't have superior TALENT to last years team?

Several areas we will simply have more talent. We will be more athletic, deeper in the backcourt by FAR and more athletic up front.  We don't have hardy but have more scoring just about everywhere else.  I can't see us guarding the 3 any worse than last year, but I see our rebounding being better and us moving better in our zones.  We performed well last year because we limited mistakes, but we didn't lead the big east in many categories and were at the bottom in many.   I wouldn't underestimate our staff's ability to get these kids playing pretty well together nor the talent of our roster.  Lavin has won with young teams before.  Maybe we're not a final 4 team this year, but we only need to squeak into the NCAA's right below mid point in the league.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:33:11 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33:01 AM »
An  interesting and enjoyable continuously improving team.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 12:36:47 AM »

Agree on Nuri. How good he is will be the x-factor.  I dont have a clue how the kids will gel and play together. 

I would imagine a similar situation to last year.  Start off very slow and take some lumps in the non-conference, learn from mistakes, understand the system better, get the rotation in order and improve during big east play.  I'm not saying it will result in the same win-loss record but def improved play.  I think anything above .500 would be encouraging considering the schedule and our age/experience.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:41:18 AM by B-Squared »

LJSA

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 01:23:44 AM »
25-9.

I don't care how young we are. We have a ton of talent and great chemistry already.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:39:52 AM »
25-9.

I don't care how young we are. We have a ton of talent and great chemistry already.
Lol geez. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see us too far over .500 with this schedule. 18 Big East games plus Duke, UCLA, UK, Miss St., Arizona, and @Detriot?
I can't even imagine how good we'll be the following year though.

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
First MSG game for my two sons was against U St. Louis in NIT semi on the way to Sealy freshmen class with Matt Brust winning the tournament.  Maybe I get to take my grandson to see NIT championship won by STJ in 2012.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:52:25 AM by fuchsia »

Poison

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »
I agree about Nuri. If he's the goods, we could be very good. The point guard position is so important, and with so many freshman it's even more important.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »
One thing's for sure - after going through our OOC schedule and the ordeal of the Big East we are going to have a seasoned team when it comes to the BE playoffs and April.

redslope

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »
I am lousy at predictions but am I looking forward to seeing this group of players who come with great backgrounds.  I am looking forward to see them grow through their first year as individuals and as a team.  I am expecting exciting, competitive games which if they don't generate a winning record, will leave me feeling that the future is ours.  I want to see a team that is fighting for loose balls and rebounds; that does not give up; that enjoys playing the game with their teammates.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
Expectations need to be tempered.

All the long-range shootin, blocked shots, dunkin and dimes cant make up fo a good screen, boxin out, a hard cut, movin witout the ball, help D and evry other lil thing that makes you a winner.

And they just dont teach those things in high school or AAU.

They will learn. It just gonna take some time.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.