Former UCLA'er Ryan Bailey on Staff?

• 36 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Former UCLA'er Ryan Bailey on Staff?
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:25:34 PM »
Per Neil Nieves: http://twitter.com/#!/NealNieves/status/106430836970229760

Moose

Re: Former UCLA'er Ryan Bailey on Staff?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
Cue CrGreen in 3, 2, 1.....  :)

He will have to ditch the Moose nickname.  There is only one Moose and that's yours truly.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »

He will have to ditch the Moose nickname.  There is only one Moose and that's yours truly.

Any mention what position he's filling?  Didn't realize we had any openings!

He was third string PG at UCLA.   Had to listen to a lot of crap that he was only onn scholarship because he was Toby Baily's brother, that he wasn't a D-1 caliber player, yada-yada.   Note that he STARTED as a freshman in Big 10, led Penn State in assists, and was 3rd in scoring and rebounding.   The problem was, next to first string Baron Davis, and 2nd String Earl Watson, he WAS a considerable dropoff - but he may have been the BEST 3rd string PG in D-1 those years.

But the story has to be fake.  Everyone knows Lavin's UCLA players all hated him and thought he couldn't coach....why would ANOTHER one come work for him????

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »

Any mention what position he's filling?  Didn't realize we had any openings!

He was third string PG at UCLA.   Had to listen to a lot of crap that he was only onn scholarship because he was Toby Baily's brother, that he wasn't a D-1 caliber player, yada-yada.   Note that he STARTED as a freshman in Big 10, led Penn State in assists, and was 3rd in scoring and rebounding.   The problem was, next to first string Baron Davis, and 2nd String Earl Watson, he WAS a considerable dropoff - but he may have been the BEST 3rd string PG in D-1 those years.

But the story has to be fake.  Everyone knows Lavin's UCLA players all hated him and thought he couldn't coach....why would ANOTHER one come work for him????
No word on what position yet. What else do you know about him? I too remember him as that scrub on the bench.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
He coaches at a big time high school in Cali. Coaches Parker Cartwright a recruit St. John's is targeting. I'm not sure of what position he'd take, perhaps they are creating one but I can't imagine the staff increasing to even more pay roll.

I don't want to start rumors and this has no foundation but perhaps something with the Hicks/Miami thing? Maybe Wrobel is leaving?  I'm purely just speculating on how someone new could be added to the staff. I don't see any of the 3 assistants leaving.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
Wrobel isn't going anywhere.

crgreen

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:17 PM »
He coaches at a big time high school in Cali. Coaches Parker Cartwright a recruit St. John's is targeting. I'm not sure of what position he'd take, perhaps they are creating one but I can't imagine the staff increasing to even more pay roll.

I don't want to start rumors and this has no foundation but perhaps something with the Hicks/Miami thing? Maybe Wrobel is leaving?  I'm purely just speculating on how someone new could be added to the staff. I don't see any of the 3 assistants leaving.

Would a hire now leave us the requisite 2 years to still be able to pursue Cartwright?

Moose

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »

If we hire him now for a non assistant role we can recruit Parker-Cartwright with no issues.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
Hearing Hicks is not an issue and that it is administrative.  Honestly may be another addition to the staff and no one leaves.

ras

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:53 PM »
Like CR said , its ironic to have former UCLA players working for Lavin.Maybe Lavs wasnt as bad as the UCLA fans claim :)

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »
Likely would replace Bernstein as a Grad Assistant.

And Dave is correct, Bailey is an assistant at Loyola in LA, Cartwright's HS.

kob24

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 12:32:23 AM »
yup grad assistant

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »
Likely would replace Bernstein as a Grad Assistant.

And Dave is correct, Bailey is an assistant at Loyola in LA, Cartwright's HS.

Duh that makes sense.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
Nice move by the Lav if it happens.

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
Someone posted, in the Parker-Cartwright thread, that he heard we were currently the leaders.  If, that is the case then I'm sure this particular hire places us in the driver's seat. 

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
Would be nice to be in the driver's seat for him AND McCullough, but that's so far away still.

sju89tr

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
Someone posted, in the Parker-Cartwright thread, that he heard we were currently the leaders.  If, that is the case then I'm sure this particular hire places us in the driver's seat.

I heard we were his leader at this time

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 10:28:36 AM »

I heard we were his leader at this time

Yeah, it was you who posted it, traczok.  He's up to #15 in ESPN's 2014 player rankings. 

sju89tr

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
He is becoming the next big thing here in LA. It will be interesting to see how many ships we have because the staff is recruiting McCullough, Dakari, Whitehead, and Parker-Cartwright among others