Ron Artest

• 22 replies
Ron Artest
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »
Named as a new contestant on "Dancing with the Stars".  Should be fun -- and a great PR opportunity for Ron.

Poison

Re: Ron Artest
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Ron Artest, at any moment could kill someone.

Everyone at SJU is praying that he doesn't forget to take his anti-psychotic meds and then snap some guy's neck over a misunderstanding. The farther he is from the University, the better. There are very few NBA players that could represent the school worse than him.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:41:41 PM »

Everyone at SJU is praying that he doesn't forget to take his anti-psychotic meds and then snap some guy's neck over a misunderstanding. The farther he is from the University, the better. There are very few NBA players that could represent the school worse than him.

You don't understand Ron then.  He has a big heart.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:19:50 AM »
seriously poison jesus.....no doubt he has had problems in the past and says/does some interesting things, both good and bad, but i think you are taking it a bit too far what that. i think not only does he have a good heart but if he starts talking to some potential recruits those kids would listen. i hate to say it and am not comparing either as players or people but sit a recruit down with ron and mullin...a kid today is going to be more interested by ron than mullin. you and I may not, and i'm 28, but and 18 year old today 9 out of 10 times today would be.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »
Dancing with the stars can often make it or break it with a recruit. I hear Rob Kardashian is a huge UCLA fan, and Nancy Grace is a big time booster for ConnU. Sure...Ron has a personality disorder, but I'm just glad he'll be doing the Viennese Waltz for the Johnnies.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
Yo in other reality news.... Willie Shaw is gonna be on Man v. Food on the Travel channel. Host goes up to Harlem to try the cuisine and challenges the Harlem Globetrotters to see who can witstand some spicy food.

No joke: http://www.travelchannel.com/Video/meet-slick-hammer-and-bull-15764

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »
Yo in other reality news.... Willie Shaw is gonna be on Man v. Food on the Travel channel. Host goes up to Harlem to try the cuisine and challenges the Harlem Globetrotters to see who can witstand some spicy food.

Yeah, I saw Shaw and his Globetrotter teammates on there during a preview of the show.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:02:16 AM »
seriously poison jesus.....no doubt he has had problems in the past and says/does some interesting things, both good and bad, but i think you are taking it a bit too far what that. i think not only does he have a good heart but if he starts talking to some potential recruits those kids would listen. i hate to say it and am not comparing either as players or people but sit a recruit down with ron and mullin...a kid today is going to be more interested by ron than mullin. you and I may not, and i'm 28, but and 18 year old today 9 out of 10 times today would be.

He is not going to be talking to recruits. Not now. Not ever. You guys are delirious. He almost killed several people, and it was over nothing. There are thugs like Grady Reynolds, and then there is insane. Ron is insane.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »

I agree. He does have a big heart. Sometimes. And other times, he's just out of his f'n mind.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »

I agree. He does have a big heart. Sometimes. And other times, he's just out of his f'n mind.

Artest said that he "plans to donate the money he earns" on the show to the Cancer Research Foundation in honor of his 8-year-old daughter, who was diagnosed with a type of kidney cancer in '07. Artest said that he will donate the $125,000 appearance fee and "any additional money he earns should he advance in each round." Artest: "That's the only reason I'm doing it. I'm doing it for a cause" (LATIMES.com, 8/29).

Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »
Are you responding to what I wrote, or just posting stuff about Ron Artest?

crgreen

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »

Yeah, I saw Shaw and his Globetrotter teammates on there during a preview of the show.

I'm sure it's been mentioned on the boards, but Globetrotters "showman" Special K is a former Steve Lavin player, Wing Kevin Daley  - he was buried on the UCLA roster on Steve's 2nd Bruin squad in '98 - Unfortuantely for the redshirt soph, Baron Davis, Earl Watson, Billy Knight, Moose Bailey and Rico Hines all joined the squad in '98, and Steve had committments for '99 from Top 5 recruit JaRon Rush and top 50 Matt Barnes  - Kevin transferred to NAIA Azusa-Pacfic, where he was a two time  All American, and runner up for NAIA POY as a senior.  Also, if you remember the old commercial where the older Michael Jordan goes one-on-one with his younger self, K was the younger Jordan, with a CGI Jordan face...

Kevin was also at the 2010 NBA AllStar game, playing in the "Celebrity Game" - where not surprisingly he was the leading scorer in the game...

Always good to remember on a board where talk of "busts" gets thrown around a little to freely - a guy making an excellent living from hoops more than a decade after college isn't a bust.  NBA stardom is just one very rarified route.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Are you responding to what I wrote, or just posting stuff about Ron Artest?

I think that's pretty clear.  The fact you needed clarification is kind of baffling.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »

I'm just sayin is all but downriver the slips and slopes aint got ahold of Ron Ron.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
The fact that he didn't kill anyone in Detroit is because he was lucky. That's all.

If you don't recognize that, perhaps you need to be medicated as well.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
The fact that he didn't kill anyone in Detroit is because he was lucky. That's all.

If you don't recognize that, perhaps you need to be medicated as well.

We can kick up the discussion of what happened that fateful night if you so choose to.  He's also lucky the beer didn't strike him in the eye. 

I sure hope you other prominant figures to the same light you hold him.  There are figures who have killed people, killed animals, drove drunk and endangered the lives of how many.  I'm sure if I knew the teams you rooted for we can have a field day with that.

That being said at least you do acknowledge Ron has a heart.  And I responded to your post driving that point home.  But you got your panties in a twist and now here we are.

LJSA

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »
There are very few NBA players that could represent the school worse than him.

The only people who even associate him with St. John's are St. John's fans.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:36 AM »
There are very few NBA players that could represent the school worse than him.

The only people who even associate him with St. John's are St. John's fans.

Like I said, the University has actively, and quietly avoided him. They already have one former NBA player in a maximum security prison. The last thing they want to do is remind anyone that Artest went here, even if he wasn't in any obvious trouble while he was here.

Moose, I take it you'd like fans to appreciate the Ron Artest with a song in his heart? What happens when that song is Helter Skelter?

boo3

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »
  The way i see it, Ron had a rough-ass childhood.  Got to the NBA at 19 and went bananas for a few years.  Sought the help that he needed and has  made a substantial effort to make peace with his past while trying to do some good in the world.  I think he should be embraced , not treated like an animal.

Haven't we all done some really stupid things, or had some sort of " issues" or had a close friend or family member that had issues? 

If you are lucky enough to be perfect and those in your circle perfect, then i commend you.    I'll just steer clear of judging people off of their past.  What have you done today and what you do tomorrow is far more important.

IMO , of course

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
Named as a new contestant on "Dancing with the Stars".  Should be fun -- and a great PR opportunity for Ron.

Chaz Bono will also be a contestant.  Hope he doesn't ask Ron for a dance or worse yet, be a St. John's fan.  When I was growing up, if one wanted to see a freak show, you showed up around the side of the big circus tent an hour early.  Today, all you have to do is turn on the TV.    ::)