Is everyone on campus?

• 167 replies
Re: Is everyone on campus?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »
Garrett is flying in Tuesday per his twitter.

Just ask jmattera!!!  LOL!!!

lihoop

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »
Marillac & Fordham96,

Thanks for the info, looking forward to the season, big things are about to happen in Jamaica, Queens and across the country for us.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
Baldi I'm little confused on the point of all this. Seems like there could be better things to discuss.

He's trying to stir the pot which is going to get tougher eAch passing day with Lavin at the helm.  Everyone is cleared and I don't know about Garrett but all others are on campus and enrolled...a small miracle considering the amount of recruits Lav brought in.

Stirring the pot? How so? The question was asked if everyone is on campus. I asked someone very close to the situation and repeated the answer

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
I don't care what the situation or circumstances, it's odd that kids who are completely eligible are just deciding to arrive on campus when they please.

I think the better explanation at this point sounds like the compliance staff is still waiting for the NCAA to tell them everyone is through the Clearinghouse. Once the guys start class and work outs I am pretty sure the school has about 14 days to make sure the players are cleared. Like I said in another thread, after the debacle the school went through with Rob Thomas & Derwin Kitchen in recent I years would guess they are just being extra careful at this point.

Moose

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 02:07:21 PM »
I don't care what the situation or circumstances, it's odd that kids who are completely eligible are just deciding to arrive on campus when they please.

I think the better explanation at this point sounds like the compliance staff is still waiting for the NCAA to tell them everyone is through the Clearinghouse. Once the guys start class and work outs I am pretty sure the school has about 14 days to make sure the players are cleared. Like I said in another thread, after the debacle the school went through with Rob Thomas & Derwin Kitchen in recent I years would guess they are just being extra careful at this point.

But to be fair missing two classes (which is what it amounts to) really isn't much. You also get like 3 weeks to drop classes without penalty and change schedules around.

Remember the talk last year about DeAndre Daniels and Kansas was about how many weeks after the semester he could still enroll.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »

But to be fair missing two classes (which is what it amounts to) really isn't much. You also get like 3 weeks to drop classes without penalty and change schedules around.

Remember the talk last year about DeAndre Daniels and Kansas was about how many weeks after the semester he could still enroll.

Not to mention that the first day of class is nothing but the professor handing out the syllabus and reading what it says on it, then letting everyone go after about 20 minutes. I understand it's obviously not idea, especially for a freshman, but it's really not a big deal to miss the first class.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »

Not to mention that the first day of class is nothing but the professor handing out the syllabus and reading what it says on it, then letting everyone go after about 20 minutes. I understand it's obviously not idea, especially for a freshman, but it's really not a big deal to miss the first class.

If you have trouble in school, being eligible,staying eligible etc-its probably a good idea to go to class instead of taking your time getting to campus.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »

If you have trouble in school, being eligible,staying eligible etc-its probably a good idea to go to class instead of taking your time getting to campus.

Good point!!

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »

I would have thought that these kids would have arrived at some point over the summer and were living in the weight room especially with their respective physiques?   ;)

crgreen

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »

I would have thought that these kids would have arrived at some point over the summer and were living in the weight room especially with their respective physiques?   ;)

Just out of curiosity....without scholarship money (which doesn't start till school does), how would you propose these kids have piad to live in New York for the summer without some kind of NCAA benefits violation occurring?

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »

Just out of curiosity....without scholarship money (which doesn't start till school does), how would you propose these kids have piad to live in New York for the summer without some kind of NCAA benefits violation occurring?
They can take summer classes.  Weren't God's Gift, Greene, Harrison, Pointer all on campus over the summer taking classes and working out?

Moose

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »

They can take summer classes.  Weren't God's Gift, Greene, Harrison, Pointer all on campus over the summer taking classes and working out?

And Amir was in Philly getting eligible.

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 12:33:17 AM »
Class starts but registration is still going on. A lot of kids aren't in class yet due to registration, financial aid, bursar issues. This is not uncommon.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »
Class starts but registration is still going on. A lot of kids aren't in class yet due to registration, financial aid, bursar issues. This is not uncommon.

Were there any accomodations/exceptions made because of the Hurricane last week?  In other words kids set to come in from different parts of the country, not just athletes mind you, who were unable to get flights?

That might be something as well.

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

Were there any accomodations/exceptions made because of the Hurricane last week?  In other words kids set to come in from different parts of the country, not just athletes mind you, who were unable to get flights?

That might be something as well.

That was the case for many schools so I wouldnt be suprised if it was for St John's as well
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »
Damn you guys are pretty hard on these kids. I wonder how many of you went across the country for college and played a college sport.  What are these slackers thinking by stealing an extra day or two over the Labor Day weekend with the families they may not see again for several months?

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »
Damn you guys are pretty hard on these kids. I wonder how many of you went across the country for college and played a college sport.  What are these slackers thinking by stealing an extra day or two over the Labor Day weekend with the families they may not see again for several months?

Some struggle with excepting the fact that school may not be as important to others as some would like, to each is own. However I would say if attending the first coulple of classes was of such great importance then I don't believe the univeristy would allow a student to enroll into a class 2-3 weeks after that class had already begun.     

Moose

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »

Some struggle with excepting the fact that school may not be as important to others as some would like, to each is own. However I would say if attending the first coulple of classes was of such great importance then I don't believe the univeristy would allow a student to enroll into a class 2-3 weeks after that class had already begun.     

I 'accept' the fact that school is important :)

SJUFAN

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »

I 'accept' the fact that school is important :)

Oh the irony..... :idiot2:

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »