Most spiritually inclined team ever?!

• 30 replies
Most spiritually inclined team ever?!
« on: September 06, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
Between Gift, Nuri, and some of the other quotes/posts i've see on each of the player's facebook and twitter profiles, i think this may be one of the most spiritually conscious team's we've ever had.

below is from Gift's recent Red Storm Sports interview:

UP CLOSE WITH GOD'SGIFT ACHIUWA
Nickname: Gift.
Favorite movie: Any action movie.
What's on the IPod/IPhone: Gospel.
Favorite food: Fufu.
Favorite place to hang out on campus/NYC area: Dorm room.
Favorite class: Math class.
Favorite book: "Authority of the Believer" by J.A. MacMillan.
Since coming to St. John's I've learned: How to stay in the dorm.
Greatest athletic accomplishment: NJCAA Region III Player of the Year.
Hero/Role model: Jesus.
Favorite athlete/sports team: The Miami Heat.
Favorite St. John's athlete: Phil Greene.
Few people know that: I sing.
One word to describe me on the court: "Team."
One word to describe me off the court: "Mean." (Ed. Note: Don't believe him!)
St. John's basketball player that will surprise you this year: Phil Greene.
After St. John's or my basketball career, I'd like to: Have my own business.
What do you want to accomplish this season: Win games.
Favorite quote: "Jesus saves."
What are your funny superstitions/pregame rituals: Listen to music.
If I were president for the day I would: Give a holiday.
If I was Coach Lavin for a day I would: Give a day off.
The teammate that inspires me is: Phil Greene.
If I wasn't playing basketball, I'd be: The best student in the world.

Re: Most spiritually inclined team ever?!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »
I have something in common with God'sgift.  I, too, like to eat fufu.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
I have something in common with God'sgift.  I, too, like to eat fufu.

Where have I been?  I've never tried, or even heard of fufu, and I'll eat anything.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
Fufu is an African delicacy. It's toy poodle. Best served grilled over rice or vegetables.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
He likes Phil Greene.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:47:48 PM »
I'd say any of Norm's teams had to be the most spiritually inclined because every day they prayed to God for better coaching

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »
He likes Phil Greene.

Lol yeah I'd say!  Second time Greene was mentioned as a guy that will surprise.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »
He likes Phil Greene.

Lol yeah I'd say!  Second time Greene was mentioned as a guy that will surprise.

Stith was mentioned a lot last summer too........
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
Stith surprised everyone last year. He didn't transfer.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
He likes Phil Greene.

Difference moose is that last summer Lavin was talking to Stith about transferring, while this year Lavin is calling Greene a potential surprise of this recruiting class.  The head coach usually has an idea of where players stand.  It speaks volumes as to where our head coach thought Stith stood last year vs where Greene stands now. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:40:40 AM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »
He likes Phil Greene.

Difference moose is that last summer Lavin was talking to Stith about transferring, while this year Lavin is calling Greene a potential surprise of this recruiting class.  The head coach usually has an idea of where players stand.  It speaks volumes as to where our head coach thought Stith stood last year vs where Greene stands now. 

Incorrect.  Last year in the summer the talk was how Stith was a workout warrior and all that and people were expecting him to take more of a role.  As we have discussed that never panned out.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
He likes Phil Greene.

Incorrect.  Last year in the summer the talk was how Stith was a workout warrior and all that and people were expecting him to take more of a role.  As we have discussed that never panned out.
Moose, I recall reading in one article that coach talked to Stith about how he could leave in light of limited playing time for 2010-11 + guys coming in, but Stith said he wanted to stay and be part of (last year) moving forward and would work his tail off and have more of a role (which didn't pan out as you said)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
On Fufu (from a site with too many popups to link)

Fufu (Foo-foo, Foufou, Foutou, fu fu) is to Western and Central Africa cooking what mashed potatoes are to traditional European-American cooking. There are Fufu-like staples all over Sub-Saharan Africa: i.e., Eastern Africa's Ugali and Southern Africa's Sadza (which are usually made from ground corn (maize), though West Africans use maize to make Banku and Kenkey, and sometimes use maize to make Fufu). Fufu is a starchy accompaniment for stews or other dishes with sauce. To eat fufu: use your right hand to tear off a bite-sized piece of the fufu, shape it into a ball, make an indentation in it, and use it to scoop up the soup or stew or sauce, or whatever you're eating.

In Western Africa, Fufu is usually made from yams, sometimes combined with plantains. In Central Africa, Fufu is often made from cassava tubers, like Baton de Manioc. Other fufu-like foods, Liberia's dumboy for example, are made from cassava flour. Fufu can also be made from semolina, rice, or even instant potato flakes or Bisquick. All over Africa, making fufu involves boiling, pounding, and vigorous stirring until the fufu is thick and smooth.

I like the east African version (I think) far better.

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
On Fufu (from a site with too many popups to link)

Fufu (Foo-foo, Foufou, Foutou, fu fu) is to Western and Central Africa cooking what mashed potatoes are to traditional European-American cooking. There are Fufu-like staples all over Sub-Saharan Africa: i.e., Eastern Africa's Ugali and Southern Africa's Sadza (which are usually made from ground corn (maize), though West Africans use maize to make Banku and Kenkey, and sometimes use maize to make Fufu). Fufu is a starchy accompaniment for stews or other dishes with sauce. To eat fufu: use your right hand to tear off a bite-sized piece of the fufu, shape it into a ball, make an indentation in it, and use it to scoop up the soup or stew or sauce, or whatever you're eating.

In Western Africa, Fufu is usually made from yams, sometimes combined with plantains. In Central Africa, Fufu is often made from cassava tubers, like Baton de Manioc. Other fufu-like foods, Liberia's dumboy for example, are made from cassava flour. Fufu can also be made from semolina, rice, or even instant potato flakes or Bisquick. All over Africa, making fufu involves boiling, pounding, and vigorous stirring until the fufu is thick and smooth.

I like the east African version (I think) far better.
seeing yams, I just thought as long as it doesn't taste like Poi!!! I like just about everything but that

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
Long as they is no Children Of Israel on the team, I'm cool.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:59:53 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »
Long as they is no Children Of Israel on the team, I'm cool.

Ahh, what?

Moose

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »
He likes Phil Greene.

Moose, I recall reading in one article that coach talked to Stith about how he could leave in light of limited playing time for 2010-11 + guys coming in, but Stith said he wanted to stay and be part of (last year) moving forward and would work his tail off and have more of a role (which didn't pan out as you said)

To clarify I'm not disagreeing that he could have transferred.  We all know another guy who did when Lavin came on board.  But then all summer all we keep hearing was the workout warrior impressing everyone- Lavin, Rico, Dunlap etc.  And then we got a bank shot vs. ASU, some FT's vs. St Mary's and a 5 pts vs. Cuse.

mkras99

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »
@Choz - Children of Israel?  Huh?

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
The Children of Israel is just too divisive to have on the team when y'all want unity. They numbers is expanding and I just dont wanna be around a religion (more like a cult) that is so divisive and vilify anyone that dont believe what they believe and then promote violence 'gainst brother encroachin on them. Now I dont believe any of the brothers on the team is into this so I was just talkin off the cuff. Dont think its a threat.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

mkras99

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »
Sorry Choz, who are the Children of Israel - are they the same as the "Black Israelites" or an offshoot?  Or are you just referring to Jews in general?