NYC media advantage..?

• 32 replies

pmg911

NYC media advantage..?
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »
Dave made this comment in the KA thread and it brings up a very interesting point for discussion.

Does playing in NYC really have a media advantage in today's social media world.?

there are aspects of media coverage/exposure that no other school on his list could compete with.

Forgetting Kyle Anderson for a moment...    what media advantages does any school have over another in todays social media world. We are living in a world where TV commerical ads barely matter as a much as they used and targeted audiences are now on the internet.

Even as little as 5 years ago I would say being in the NY media market had a potentially huge difference but in today's media world it is just not the same advantage it used to be.

Maybe I am not seeing the entire picture but what media advantages does St. John's offer that any other school doesn't in todays world..?

Re: NYC media advantage..?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »
it was NEVER an advantage...otherwise the dodgers and giants wouldn't have left...the jets, knicks, nets, mets, rangers, islanders, devils and usually the giants would have dominated...there would be big time college football in town and it took lavin to make st john's a cut better than the other mediocre college basketball teams in the area.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:18:21 PM »
it was NEVER an advantage...otherwise the dodgers and giants wouldn't have left...the jets, knicks, nets, mets, rangers, islanders, devils and usually the giants would have dominated...there would be big time college football in town and it took lavin to make st john's a cut better than the other mediocre college basketball teams in the area.
straw man argument in the beginning.  Winning trumps everything.  If you win, there's a buzz in every media outlet, local, national and international (at a smaller scale for college ball of course).  But being in proximity of media connections never hurts.  The established personal relationships coach has now with the NY media, as well as Bristol, only helps moving forward.  The phrases "Toast of the Town" comes to mind as well as "Talk of the Town..." 

jr49

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »
if SJU and Kansas ranked #1 &#2 in the country, and MSG selling out all the games, kids playing in NY will get a different experience. Of course we won't see this unless it happens.

kjd01067

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »
I think Lavin's ESPN connections are something no other coach in the country can match

Poison

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
No city in this country can compete with the NY media. It's not even close.
I suppose, if you don't understand media, you can make a case for anything you like.

A superstar in NYC is the biggest star in the country. A superstar in Minnesota is invisible.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
St. John's has Daily News, NY Post, Newsday, NYT, WSJ, NY Mag, ESPN NY, and various other smaller news papers like Queens Courier on their beat.

Seton Hall has Star Ledger, Newark Examiner

UCLA has LA Times, LA Dailynews

Georgetown has Washington Journal, Washington Times

Florida....not sure people can read there.

This is just editorial....Come on ask me for another example I dare you!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Gumby

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
Lets use KA as an example in terms of media coverage.

When he arrives at St. John's (hopefully), this year's squad should have us ready to be national contenders.  We should have numerous photos of great plays in our local (which are really national) papers and on TV.  So when KA makes a great play and his picture is in the paper or on TV, millions will see it.  If he does the same at SHU or UF, who will see it, just the local folks?

Another example of NY coverage, Dave pointed out all the media outlets there is in the NY area.  Try being Coach Miller in Tuscon!  He could have one of the best team's in the country, but who is going to know about it but the college BB junkies.  The biggest paper we have in AZ is the AZ Republic, which basically covers the Phoenix area and not much college BB at that.  Coach S. was not complaining about that after last year's poor showing.

Media coverage is based on what people want to see. NY is a sports town.  The NY paper or TV station with the lowest circulation or viewing audience  still has more readers or viewers than most of their competitors.  So if you make the NY Times or NY Daily News with a basketball picture you will get tremendous coverage.  And that certainly will help Coach Lavin sell St. John's across the country.

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »
Dave, I said take Kyle Anderson out of the equation, so using Star Ledger (Whose beat writ hates SHU) and Bergen Record are poor comparisons.

Please tell me who covers "the St. John's beat" at NYT, New Yorker & WSJ..?

Being a "social media" director, you of all people should see my point.

You still didn't give a real media advantage that St. John's has over any school for any recruit in todays world. Between, facebook ,Twitter, blogs, ESPN.com, Rivals, Scout, etc...  Theses kids are already so ridiculously over exposed it's scary.

Someone above pointed out potential connections to the industry that people like Coach Lavin or someone like Mark Fratto might have, those are real points but for a kid that has NBA aspirations, those media connections are not helping him or pushing him to St. John's during his recruitment.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »
One other thing Dave, your post is so arrogant it's f'ing scary

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
One other thing Dave, your post is so arrogant it's f'ing scary

or funny depends how you read it.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 08:52:55 PM »
Dave, I said take Kyle Anderson out of the equation, so using Star Ledger (Whose beat writ hates SHU) and Bergen Record are poor comparisons.

You still didn't give a real media advantage that St. John's has over any school for any recruit in todays world. Between, facebook ,Twitter, blogs, ESPN.com, Rivals, Scout, etc...  Theses kids are already so ridiculously over exposed it's scary.

Someone above pointed out potential connections to the industry that people like Coach Lavin or someone like Mark Fratto might have, those are real points but for a kid that has NBA aspirations, those media connections are not helping him or pushing him to St. John's during his recruitment.

Pete Thamel at NYT, Sophia Hollander at WSJ, Will Leitch at NY Mag

I fail to see the reporters feeling towards SHU effects their media coverage? I'm confused.

Regardless there are little to no schools in the country who can boast as many media outlets covering them. I didn't dive into TV regional/national coverage, what St. John's does internally digitally, or national recognition from regional news outlets. How many newspapers across the country picked up the story of Steve Lavin being hired?

Book it, St. John's will be the only school in the country to have every single one of their games televised this year.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »

I fail to see the reporters feeling towards SHU effects their media coverage? I'm confused.

Regardless there are little to no schools in the country who can boast as many media outlets covering them. I didn't dive into TV regional/national coverage, what St. John's does internally digitally, or national recognition from regional news outlets. How many newspapers across the country picked up the story of Steve Lavin being hired?

Book it, St. John's will be the only school in the country to have every single one of their games televised this year.

Texas should have all games on TV because of Longhorn Network.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »

How much do the Rangers charge for a front row seat? How much do the Maple Leafs? The Ranger's domination has nothing to do with the team. It has everything to do with NYC.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »

Texas should have all games on TV because of Longhorn Network.

I'll take that back. As of right now a lot of games are not showing TV on Texas schedule.

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/tex-m-baskbl-sched.html

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
Sophia Hollander and Pete Thamel are a little more than " beat reporters"

I wonder how they would reply if you asked them if they "covered the St. John's beat"..?

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »
Sophia Hollander and Pete Thamel are a little more than " beat reporters"

I wonder how they would reply if you asked them if they "covered the St. John's beat"..?

The fact is they cover St. John's and have many published articles on the team. I'm not a huge fan of reading NY Post or Daily News but if I go to any deli in NJ, NY, CT, and parts of PA/DE I can find a copy of it. I'm not sure of many papers around the country that have that kind of reach. Agreed?

If you have some factual evidence to support why you don't think St. John's has an advantage please say so. You are certainly entitled to disagree and have your own opinion. I think I've supported my reasons sufficiently.

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
I also agree with you that they are more than "beat reporters" that is a great point, PMG. It's amazing that such distinguish columnists write about St. John's regularly in their well respected publications.

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
Kids these days love the Twitter and the Facebook.

But lemme ask y'all this: You think Paris Horne's grams got a framed copy of a Tweet saying he just dunked on Duke?!?

Nah, grams got the backpage of the Daily News showing Paris dunkin like he Baby Jordan for a day.

Where else y'all gonna get that?  South Orange? Hellz no.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
Kids these days love the Twitter and the Facebook.

But lemme ask y'all this: You think Paris Horne's grams got a framed copy of a Tweet saying he just dunked on Duke?!?

Nah, grams got the backpage of the Daily News showing Paris dunkin like he Baby Jordan for a day.

Where else y'all gonna get that?  South Orange? Hellz no.

POST OF THE YEAR! :)