Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall

• 266 replies
Re: Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Choz I want to watch 18 yr old baller and will pay if he is wearing a Johnnie uni playing against other colleges. I am not going down to the park and paying to see some 18 yr olds in a pick up game. I'll watch NBA or high school.

No prob.

Take away the NCAA's "student athlete" charade and have schools sponsor they own minor-league basketball team.

Pay the players at evry school that wants in. Create a salary cap and a minimum wage.

If a student wants to go to class, let him. If he wants to major in ball, let him.  No academic requirements for admission. No academic requirements to continue to play.

If nuthin else, it'd be a lot more honest than the current structure.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:45:50 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/35404/what-do-losses-mean-for-st-johns

As Diamond noted Thursday, at least one of those players, Garrett, hopes to be eligible in time for the spring semester. But even if he's back, there's no getting around it: This is a major blow to the chances of St. John's in 2011-12.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »
Wow this is BS...they took and passed the needed classes and the NCAA decides not to accept them?   Then take away the school's accreditation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sports/ncaabasketball/3-st-johns-basketball-recruits-are-ruled-ineligible.html?_r=1

“Their parents contacted me yesterday, upset,” Goldberg said Friday in a telephone interview. “They said the N.C.A.A. is questioning why they received A’s. They’re making it seem like they’re not smart enough to do well.”

The N.C.A.A. did not respond to a request for comment.

The St. John’s coaching staff remains hopeful that the three players will be eligible for the spring semester, which would allow them to begin practicing Dec. 19 and to make their collegiate debuts against Texas-Pan American two days later. But the ruling leaves the Red Storm with just eight scholarship players before that, when it will face Arizona, Kentucky, and either Texas A&M or Mississippi State. The team’s 18-game Big East schedule, and games against Duke and U.C.L.A., are scheduled for after the end of the first semester.

“It’s based on a reason specific to each individual,” Mark Fratto, a spokesman for St. John’s, said about the rulings in a telephone interview. “We’re going to pursue every avenue and exhaust every option to get these student-athletes eligible.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
Wow this is BS...they took and passed the needed classes and the NCAA decides not to accept them?   Then take away the school's accreditation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sports/ncaabasketball/3-st-johns-basketball-recruits-are-ruled-ineligible.html?_r=1

“Their parents contacted me yesterday, upset,” Goldberg said Friday in a telephone interview. “They said the N.C.A.A. is questioning why they received A’s. They’re making it seem like they’re not smart enough to do well.”

The N.C.A.A. did not respond to a request for comment.

The St. John’s coaching staff remains hopeful that the three players will be eligible for the spring semester, which would allow them to begin practicing Dec. 19 and to make their collegiate debuts against Texas-Pan American two days later. But the ruling leaves the Red Storm with just eight scholarship players before that, when it will face Arizona, Kentucky, and either Texas A&M or Mississippi State. The team’s 18-game Big East schedule, and games against Duke and U.C.L.A., are scheduled for after the end of the first semester.

“It’s based on a reason specific to each individual,” Mark Fratto, a spokesman for St. John’s, said about the rulings in a telephone interview. “We’re going to pursue every avenue and exhaust every option to get these student-athletes eligible.”

Yes, NCAA has approved classes from Rise for Kyle Lowry, Shane Clark, Gerald Henderson, Nasir Robinson, Chevon Troutman and a host of other players.  SJU's 3 recruits were the only 3 to be denied.  It's an absurd ruling.  NCAA should have to declare schools eligible or ineligible.  Why have they approved them in the past?   SJU and the 3 kids did everything they needed to do.  NCAA on a whim decided to make an example with SJU's recruits.  As I said, if we were Ohio State or UNC, there's no chance our kids would have been declared ineligible. 

I read that the NCAA believes that SJU and/or Lavin tried to manipulate the system.  There's no such thing as "manipulating" a system.  It's called loopholes.  If the system worked properly, it wouldn't be an issue.  Instead the system is haphazard and absurd.  If these kids took classes that were approved prior and met NCAA requirements, they should be cleared, whether they got straight A's or not.  Nobody is confusing these 3 kids with academic all-stars, but it was a haphazard ruling and kids are doing this all over the country at tons of schools. 

NCAA needs to get their act together and get their approved schools lists in order and release them in early fall every year. If the kids attend an approved school, then there should be zero scrutiny of their grades at said school.  If a school is not on the list, then it is subject to scrutiny.  It's not fair to make a decision about a school based on a few kids getting good grades there.  There should be separate evaluations of the schools and kids should know before the week that college starts that they're not going to be cleared.  NCAA has loads of dough and needs to get their clearinghouse straightened out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:58:13 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2011, 01:52:05 PM »
IMO, all 3 should go to IMG Academy and get their classes this fall.  Great bball program and they'll get through the coursework. 

boo3

« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »
  The straight A 's across the board is a bit perplexing.   How about a few B s and C s?    Doesn't anyone know how to cheat anymore?  ;)

MCNPA

« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
  The straight A 's across the board is a bit perplexing.   How about a few B s and C s?    Doesn't anyone know how to cheat anymore?  ;)

I believe SJU's Sean Evans also is a Rise Academy alum.  He was cleared.

Moose

« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
This is just beginning to look worse and worse.  Can some legal beagle take this to the papers and apply pressure?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
This is just beginning to look worse and worse.  Can some legal beagle take this to the papers and apply pressure?

But what if the NCAA asked to see some work from these kids and they couldn't provide?

boo3

« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »

No one cared if Evans cleared or not.  No offense Bobre.  Lavin and St. John's has a target on their back now.   Have 9 great recruits, send three to this shady place and all three get straight A s.  Someone blows a whistle , opens up Pandora's box. 

I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong.  It just looks bad.  It sucks.

MCNPA

« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

No one cared if Evans cleared or not.  No offense Bobre.  Lavin and St. John's has a target on their back now.   Have 9 great recruits, send three to this shady place and all three get straight A s.  Someone blows a whistle , opens up Pandora's box. 

You think if those 3 recruits were headed to Texas or USC their classes at Rise would have been scrutinized? :police:  I wouldn't mind except that the NCAA had been accepting everybody coming out of Rise until our recruits submit coursework from there.  NCAA's haphazard process is what bothers me.  Rise Academy had been fine for the NCAA until the day our recruits show their Rise classes.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:11:44 PM by MCNPA »

boo3

« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »

You think if those 3 recruits were headed to Texas or USC their classes at Rise would have been scrutinized? :police:  I wouldn't mind except that the NCAA had been accepting everybody coming out of Rise until our recruits submit coursework from there.  NCAA's haphazard process is what bothers me.  Rise Academy had been fine for the NCAA until the day our recruits show their Rise classes.

Good question.  I don't have an answer for that.  In the back of my mind i think there is more to this.  maybe Calhoun tipped someone off?  :)   Anyone ever heard of a B-?   Lord knows i have. 

MCNPA

« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »

Good question.  I don't have an answer for that.  In the back of my mind i think there is more to this.  maybe Calhoun tipped someone off?  :)   Anyone ever heard of a B-?   Lord knows i have.

They were taking one or two classes in the summer at an easy school and not playing basketball.  It's not inconceivable they could have gotten an A or two there. 

boo3

« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
  You would think that these "schools" are either acceptable to the NCAA or not in regards to credits.  It doesn't make sense.  Thats why i think there is more to the story. 

« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
I take issue with people who come on sites and make ridiculous statements about these "poor" schollie athletes who are being taken advantage of at universities. thats a load of crap.  For one, no one is forcing them to attend college and secondly, it is widely known that they dont have to function under the same rules that the rest of us do. The fact is, they are earning a good salary for what they are doing, get treated like royalty and get everything handed to them. Save your pity for the poor families with kids who get good grades but whose families cant afford to send them to a great school due to finances, there are plenty of stories like that around.

U mad bro?

Not at all........ Just think that there are plenty of stories out there of kids who are not athletically gifted, who do get good grades but cant afford a college education at a school of their choice due to the families financial situation.  those stories are far too many in today's economy.

Heres the thing. I dont mean no disrepct to your son and I appreciate the arts immensely.

But the marketplace values an 18-year-old who can run and jump and sink a J at the highest level more than an 18-year-old who plays jazz at the highest level.

But the 18-year-old baller can't benefit by his talents to his fullest capacity because the NCAA is a multi-billion dollar monopoly under the guise of a non-profit wit a social mission.

The ballers are a labor force. The NCAA and its members are employers.  And the fans create the marketplace. 

Take away the NCAA and y'all still got the marketplace wanting to see (and pay for) 18-year-olds who can run and jump and sink a J. Except now, they can be justly compensated under a new employer.

So lemme ask you this... yo son ever get paid for a gig playin the sax while he was still in school? Even if he didn't he had the ability to. He had the ability to benefit from his talents to his fullest capacity. A baller cant do that. And thats the problem.

Peace out!

Actually he did get a gig now and then but never made any significant money that would help with tuition.  maybe he made, in a good night, $100.  In terms of a baller not being able to do that, plenty of ballers get set up with many perks that are not mentioned. I know that some time ago, I had some college ballers come to my school to meet and give a demo with the kids and they got a nice "tip".  I am sure there is much that's not even mentioned....... "Hi I'm Johnny Cash"    Anyway, I see your point but realistically,  in the long run, ballers do get compensated quite well. 

Dan

« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
Well it's better news than I thought if Garrett is so adamant about playing here.  I didn't think we'd ever get any of them on the court after hearing the news.  Pelle and Sampson's status does not seem good though, it seems like they'll prep and go elsewhere.

« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »
Now what?  Where does Lavin/St. John's go from here?  Do they try to secure more verbals for next years class now (one more or three more) so that they're not 3 players short AGAIN next season 2012-2013?  ...and If so, than WHO?

« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »
I dont have all the facts but this is complete Bull S*** if the NCAA isn't clearing them because they dont believe they were capable of getting these grades. Hopefully this isn't the case and the truth will come out soon

Moose

« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »
According to Zags and Borzello Jakarr's former AAU coach says he's doing post grad YEAR at Brewster.
Remember who broke the Slice news

jr49

« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
Might the NCAA view summer school differently then those taken in the fall or spring?