ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt

• 171 replies

TONYD3

Re: Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »
Finished isn't the right word. We could still be some what competitive, but we could never compete for a national championship. We are getting better because the school starting investing in the program. Xavier isnt going to sell the garden out. Neither would Dayton. Neither would depaul. If we don't make big money. We can't spend it. No more bigmtime coaches. No more big time recruits. Syracuse vs duke would be on televised on espn. St johns vs st. Joes would be on msg 3.

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 09:20:24 PM »
I've been called a "troll" by your board and a bunch of other things....but I have two things to say.  First off, outside of posting thousands of times on Hoyatalk...this is the only other CBB board I've ever posted on...just don't want you to think that i make a living going onto other boards and causing trouble.  Secondly, the Hoyas and Redstorm need to stick together more than ever.  Our best bet and what seems sustanable for the long run would be the following:

A conference still called the "Big East" with a championship tournament at MSG with teams like Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns, Providence, Memphis, Notre Dame, Marquette, Depaul, Seton Hall, Xavier would still probably be a top 5 basketball conference with 4-6 NCAA bids per year. I think 7 from this pool made it last year. We would probably have to add a couple more "bad" basketball teams from other conferences because theres no way 7 teams in a 10 team conference could make it every year. This might be the most sustainable long term scenario, and its fairly geographic. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:22:08 PM by Blueandgray »

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
Finished isn't the right word. We could still be some what competitive, but we could never compete for a national championship.

That's just crazy talk. Butler made the freaking national championship game for crying out loud.

We are spending money on the program not because we are making so much money all the sudden but because big money people are backing the program and Lavin can sell snow to an Eskimo

Relax

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
I could live with a conference like this

St John's
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Villanova
UMASS
St. Joe's
Temple
Xavier
Notre Dame
Providence
Marquette
DePaul

with additional teams to consider being Memphis, Dayton, Richmond, Butler, etc.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »
Does anyone think that St. John's should have expanded their football team instead of eliminating it? Or that it was simply a money pit and it was the right move?

Also could it be a good thing (as long as St. John's end keeps heading in a right direction) that depending on things turn out that they actually leave the Big East and form a basketball conference only conference. The good with with NCAA basketball is that to get into the big dance you don't need to be in a power conference, and we would not have
 to worry about all shifting in college football?

It's a small minded university. Football at a high level is over their heads. They need to stay in the minor leagues.

Moose

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »
I could live with a conference like this

St John's
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Villanova
UMASS
St. Joe's
Temple
Xavier
Notre Dame
Providence
Marquette
DePaul

with additional teams to consider being Memphis, Dayton, Richmond, Butler, etc.

I could too but Nova will never let St. Joe's in.  Sub in Butler.  Now we're talking.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
Finished isn't the right word. We could still be some what competitive, but we could never compete for a national championship. We are getting better because the school starting investing in the program. Xavier isnt going to sell the garden out. Neither would Dayton. Neither would depaul. If we don't make big money. We can't spend it. No more bigmtime coaches. No more big time recruits. Syracuse vs duke would be on televised on espn. St johns vs st. Joes would be on msg 3.

Fast forward to the 2014-15 basketball season-----what if coach K is no longer at Duke and Jimmy B no longer at Syracuse? Not a pleasant thought is it ?!?!? Picture Indiana after Bobby Knight and UNLV after Tarkanian and you quickly will get the picture!

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2011, 10:56:45 PM »
Why St. Joe's. Cause they are Catholic? Cause there is no possibility in this lifetime or the next they will have football?

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
Why St. Joe's. Cause they are Catholic? Cause there is no possibility in this lifetime or the next they will have football?

They have a good basketball tradition and are in a great geographic location.  I was just brainstorming teams but upon looking further into it, yea it probably wouldn't be a good fit.  Their gym only fits 4000 so it just wouldn't work.

TONYD3

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
Serious question. Why would any conference want any of our schools except west virginia? They have a good football program that is supported. How does acc make more money by adding Syracuse and Pitt?

ras

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 11:34:11 PM »

They have a good basketball tradition and are in a great geographic location.  I was just brainstorming teams but upon looking further into it, yea it probably wouldn't be a good fit.  Their gym only fits 4000 so it just wouldn't work.
I think he was referring to the geographic location. To close to Nova plus if you add Temple 3 teams from the Philly area.

SJUFAN

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 02:27:35 AM »
Serious question. Why would any conference want any of our schools except west virginia? They have a good football program that is supported. How does acc make more money by adding Syracuse and Pitt?

I also don’t get it, what does the ACC offer these schools that the Big East can’t? It’s not like the ACC football programs are any better than the Big East.

MCNPA

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 04:07:59 AM »
Hope the damn Carrier Dome collapses under a big snow(when it's empty of course) ;)

MCNPA

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 04:10:11 AM »
Why not add a school like Memphis instead of St joes or butler?  They have a great stadium and support of their bball program.  They won't be letting their football team wag the dog either.  Memphis is in the top 10-15 annually in home bball attendance averaging almost 17k per game.  They'd be a great addition for basketball and our scaled down football conference.  Memphis and Xavier are my top 2 for replacement teams.  A bit of a drop off after that. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:14:33 AM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
If Big East people intend on keeping it a football conference, expect Army, Navy, Baylor and Iowa State in the mix.  Will be interesting. 

ras

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »
The BE will raid  CUSA. If Rutgers, Louisville, and WV bolt the BE is going to be in trouble. Ive always asked myself why the BE didnt take Memphis instead of Depaul ot Marquete since football is the problem.

Re: ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6988468/acc-accepts-pittsburgh-panthers-syracuse-orange-14-team-league

Two words.....SELL OUTS. Or perhaps the Cuse couldn't take playing second fiddle to the Johnnies in this neck of the woods.  And what's the big deal with the ACC..... Their football sucks!

MCNPA

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6988468/acc-accepts-pittsburgh-panthers-syracuse-orange-14-team-league

Two words.....SELL OUTS. Or perhaps the Cuse couldn't take playing second fiddle to the Johnnies in this neck of the woods.  And what's the big deal with the ACC..... Their football sucks!

Now they just have to travel to the south from glorious Syracuse for all their games.  I'm sure the rest of the ACC fans are excited about taking trips up to Syracuse as well... ;D  These two schools effed the rest of the Big East out of a huge TV deal by balking.  POS schools.  Hope they both rot in the ACC. 

gman

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
Two more teams to add to the blacklist of scheduling.  Never let their local players retrun to MSG.