ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt

• 171 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
Right move to get rid of the football program...
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »
Does anyone think that St. John's should have expanded their football team instead of eliminating it? Or that it was simply a money pit and it was the right move?

Also could it be a good thing (as long as St. John's end keeps heading in a right direction) that depending on things turn out that they actually leave the Big East and form a basketball conference only conference. The good with with NCAA basketball is that to get into the big dance you don't need to be in a power conference, and we would not have to worry about all shifting in college football?

I beleive there are 2 schools in 1-A that are catholic schools.  BC and ND.  That should speak volumes about how hard it is to build a football program at a private catholic school
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
Does anyone think that St. John's should have expanded their football team instead of eliminating it? Or that it was simply a money pit and it was the right move?

Also could it be a good thing (as long as St. John's end keeps heading in a right direction) that depending on things turn out that they actually leave the Big East and form a basketball conference only conference. The good with with NCAA basketball is that to get into the big dance you don't need to be in a power conference, and we would not have to worry about all shifting in college football?

I beleive there are 2 schools in 1-A that are catholic schools.  BC and ND.  That should speak volumes about how hard it is to build a football program at a private catholic school

And both have big campuses that are suited for stadiums and crowds.  SJU would have had to do something like they did with MSG, playing football at Shea or similar.  Not easy to build that way.

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »
St. John's better start looking into joining another conference. otherwise they could be left-out of a major conference, and that would spell the end of our ability to effectively recruit, and I could see Lavin than leaving for a better situation.

We better get the possibility of joining another conference ball rolling ASAP, and get our Lookers & Feelers out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:43:24 PM by Lapchick1 »

Moose

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
St. John's better start looking ino joining another conference otherwise they could be left-out and that would spell the end of our ability to effectively recruit and I could see Lavin than leaving for a better situation.

What conference do you suggest?

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 05:46:59 PM »
St. John's better start looking ino joining another conference otherwise they could be left-out and that would spell the end of our ability to effectively recruit and I could see Lavin than leaving for a better situation.

Well, ideally I'd like to see St. John's stay in the Big East, but will there even be a Big East much longer?  Can we survive as an Independent?  I don't think so.  Unless a NEW conference is created than I'd say try to join the ACC.  We're not the only school stuck with this decision.  EX's:  Louisville, Villanova, Connecticut etc.

The Big East (imo) needs to start looking for two new members to make up for the losses of Pitt & Cuse.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:48:23 PM by Lapchick1 »

Moose

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »

Well, ideally I'd like to see St. John's stay in the Big East, but will there even be a Big East much longer?  Can we survive as an Independent?  I don't think so.  Unless a NEW conference is created than I'd say try to joing the ACC.  We're not the only school stuck with this decision.  EX's:  Louisville, Villanova, Connecticut etc.

There is nowhere to join.  Conferences are creating football super conferences.  We have to stay united with other non football schools therefore not look to go anywhere.

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »

Well, ideally I'd like to see St. John's stay in the Big East, but will there even be a Big East much longer?  Can we survive as an Independent?  I don't think so.  Unless a NEW conference is created than I'd say try to joing the ACC.  We're not the only school stuck with this decision.  EX's:  Louisville, Villanova, Connecticut etc.

There is nowhere to join.  Conferences are creating football super conferences.  We have to stay united with other non football schools therefore not look to go anywhere.

I agree with you Moose about remaining loyal, but what schools fit that current discription?  EX's:  Marquette, Gorgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John's, ND (could leave).  Maybe they call the new conference the Jesuit Conference for Basketball ONLY.  (j/k)

Who else can we acquire to fit the above discription of being a Jesuit University with no major football prgram?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:53:32 PM by Lapchick1 »

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

Well, ideally I'd like to see St. John's stay in the Big East, but will there even be a Big East much longer?  Can we survive as an Independent?  I don't think so.  Unless a NEW conference is created than I'd say try to join the ACC.  We're not the only school stuck with this decision.  EX's:  Louisville, Villanova, Connecticut etc.

The Big East (imo) needs to start looking for two new members to make up for the losses of Pitt & Cuse.

Why does it seem like every one of Lapchick's posts are panicky and super negative?

You need to relax man.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:53:45 PM by kingofk1ngs »

Moose

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »

I agree with you Moose about remaining loyal, but what schools fit that current discription?  EX's:  Marquette, Gorgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John's, ND (could leave).  Maybe they call the new conference the Jesuit Conference for Basketball ONLY.  (j/k)

Who else can we acquire to fit the above discription of being a Jesuit University with no major football prgram?

ND isn't going anywhere.
Plenty of other basketball only schools.  Butler to start

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »

Why does it seem like every one of Lapchick's posts are panicky and super negative?

You need to relax man.

Oh stop!  You need to start reading what I'm posting as being a potential realistic possibility instead.  Have I posted anything that isn't a realistic possibility in the near future?  You can't live in denial forever or turn the other cheek because it disturbs you what your potentially looking at, because that's not how you get ahead in business.  You have to look at your competitors, and try to stay one step ahead of them/your competition otherwise you get left behind for good.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:24:03 PM by Lapchick1 »

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »

You need to relax man.

Oh stop!  You need to start reading what I'm posting as being a potential ralistic possibility instead.  Have I posted anything that isn't a realistic possibility in the near future?  You can't live in denial forever or turn the other cheek because it disturbs you what your potentially looking at, because that's not how you get ahead in business.  You have to look at your competitors, and try to stay one step ahead of them/your competition otherwise you get left behind for good.

Remember: "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it".  Sometimes in life there are warning signs, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE THEM/be able to know your enemy from those who are offering advice (even at times perhaps critically constructive advice) even though their advice disturbs you/is not what you want to hear or something that you can easilly handle/cope with.

"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy".  EX:  The story of Jesus etc.

"I'm not the enemy", and the enemy at times might even tell you what you want to hear so that you delay more time and fall potentially deeper into the pit.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't offer any insight/advice.  EX:  Your potentially more critical with your child when you see them possibly heading in the wrong direction etc., because you CARE about them and you have a vested interest in them.  "Indifference is bliss"

Most people WHO ONLY like to drink their own Kool-Aid aren't worth a _hit.  Yes they're fans too, but they often don't offer any helpful advice other than putting a positive spin on everything (imo), and that's not always realistic or being practical/honest.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:22:21 PM by Lapchick1 »

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
Do you think top Executives of a very successful company sit around at meetings discussing the areas that they succeeded at or at the potential areas that might need improvement/more attention?  That's the nature of being successful.  They don't sit at a monthly meeting saying "we're great, we don't need to meet anymore because we do everything right and there are no problems, we're perfect", and pass the Kool-Aid around the table while they're bragging about themselves?  That's not the way to success nor is it the way to remain successful.  Recognizing potential concerns are a big part of being successful.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:18:03 PM by Lapchick1 »

Moose

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »
Do you think top Executives of a very successful company sit around at meeting discussing the areas that they succeeded at or at the potential areas that might need improvement/more attention?  That's the nature of being successful.  They don't sit at meeting saying "we're great, we don't need to meet anymore because we do everything right and there are no problems, we're perfect", and pass the Kool-Aid around the table while they're bragging about themselves?

I'm not a top executive.  I wouldn't know.  I'm a worthless minion who does all their hard work while they ride their sailboat, live in 3 different houses and spend money like its going out of style.

:)

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
Steve Lavin is the best thing to happen to the SJU BB program since the great Louie walked the sidelines.  However, things can change on a dime/in the snap of a finger for the worse.  EX':  The (3) ineligible players turned a positive into a realistic negative overnight, and the conference future existense situation.  Up until three days ago, probably 80% of this board wasn't worried about those (3) players NOT qualifying, and if someone who also cared about SJU happened to voice their concern about their qualifying than they were viewed as being either trolls or negative-Nancy's yet they were correct weren't they UNFORTUNATELY.  If all we're ever going to do is all agree with one another as we put a positive spin on everything, than we'll never learn anything new or learn from our mistakes, and we all make mistakes but the key to success is to learn from them.  "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:34:29 PM by Lapchick1 »

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
Villanova (0-3) just got beat up by previously winless Monmouth.   They only got 11k in the stands for their home opener. No one should ever speak of VU joining Big East football ever again.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
What is important is that St. John's takes care of itself and the way to do that is by bringing in top recruits, winning, and keep growing a solid fan base. What ever happens to the conference St. John's can be marketable to join another good conference. The positives is that no school can leave the conference right away. It is really important to beat Syracuse sooner then later!
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
We need to stay in the big east. We also need the big east to stay strong. We need Kansas ,Kansas st., and Memphis. If not sju basketball would be finished. A few days ago everything was great

ras

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
SJU would not be finished if the BE collapses, there will be a basketball only conference if that happens, which I hope doesnt.

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »
And with all this talk of PITT and the Cuse leaving for the ACC...they have a 27 month period AFTER they formally inform the Conference that they have to complete before they can enter the ACC!!!!!!  And that is with the 5-7 million dollar exit penalty fee.  That 27 month period was instituted a couple of years ago to prevent teams bolting.