Big East, Big 12 Discuss Merger

• 36 replies

DFF6

Re: Big East, Big 12 Discuss Merger
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
God, I hope this is true.  I don't want to be a part of an all-Catholic school conference, or anything else that resembles the spare parts of the once great Big East.  I really can't believe how bad things have gotten in the last week that I am actually hoping to be a part of the Big 12, praying for the return of Pelle, Garrett and (dare I say it) Sampson, and flinching over the "decision" tomorrow.  If Lavin leaves next, we may need a support group thread on this site. 

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »
Relax!!!!! lol soon kansas will replace pitt and k-state will replace cuse. As long as we have a plan we'll be alright, Lav has proven that the right guy with the right plan can make it work here.

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
This seems like the clear move to be made but the Big East cannot hesitate to grab these teams up. We have seemed to be a step behind on everything so it's time to strike and help solidify the conference for the long term. Adding these teams would give us some decent football programs and some good basketball programs as well. If this deal isn't made I feel like we are on the path to moving to a smaller conference because the BE will no longer exist.

redslope

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
enough already.  we BB schools have given the FB schools everything that have wanted and what have gotten in return? Zip, nada nothing

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
We'll always be at their mercy. I'm leaning towards splitting from football schools. It's going to happen eventually, so why not just get it started now.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »
So you want to pay 65 dollars for tickets and 10 dollars a beer to watch us play dayton or umass.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
Serious y'all, have we learned nuthin?!?

A football league with basketball-only teams is unsustainable.

Whats gonna keep this league together? We dont even have a histry or a singular mission wit these schools. Sooner or later this proposed league will collapse too.

Its time for St. John and its bball brothers to create they own ball-centric league where they call the shots.

Get a strong commish like Trangese to negotiate a new TV deal.

Sorry yo. But St. John Baylor dont do nuthin for me. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

jr49

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
Relax!!!!! lol soon kansas will replace pitt and k-state will replace cuse. As long as we have a plan we'll be alright, Lav has proven that the right guy with the right plan can make it work here.
Why do you think the BE will be allowed to cherry pick the schools it wants. I'm guessing a merger would involve football schools only.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
Serious y'all, have we learned nuthin?!?

A football league with basketball-only teams is unsustainable.

Whats gonna keep this league together? We dont even have a histry or a singular mission wit these schools. Sooner or later this proposed league will collapse too.

Its time for St. John and its bball brothers to create they own ball-centric league where they call the shots.

Get a strong commish like Trangese to negotiate a new TV deal.

Sorry yo. But St. John Baylor dont do nuthin for me.
Form an All Basketball Conference (ABC), or the BOC, Blue Oyster Cult, I mean Basketball Only Conference.  :2funny:

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
I agree you have to cut ties with the fball schools. go grab xavier, butler, dayton, st joes to go with shu sju gtown nova prov marq depaul and ND if they stay independent in football.

if they decide to keep football, why are we going after the big 12 reamains, why not raid temple, memphis, ucf and some other conf usa teams. at least they are in the east

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
according to the stuff ive read on espn, which is just as much speculation as what is going on here, the big east/big 12 merger would be the big 12 taking in big east teams. however, it seems to be only the football schools.

As much as i would want a basketball only conference, i dont know if its sustainable ($$) enough.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
St Johns  East
Georgetown East
Providence East
Seton Hall East
Marquette West
VillinovaEast
Xavier West
Norte Dame* since they want to stay independent in football West
Butler West
Depaul West
Dayton West
Umass East

Broken into two divisions East and West
play each division opp 2 times play other once

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
Football schools to meet. :knuppel2:

Sounds like Missouri to the SEC...which would leave Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State from the Big 12.  It sure doesn't look like the Big East is stronger than ever ::)  Basketball only looking better and better.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6997221/sources-big-east-football-schools-meet-new-york-tuesday-night
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »
This basketball only conference is making me feel sick. I am sure we will p ack the garden when the dayton flyrers come to town. Rivalry game sju vs the real sju, that should bring in about 1500 people.
We have do what ever it takes to stay in the big time. An all basketball league is not the answer.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 09:30:39 PM »
No St Joes.  Dayton has one of the highest attendance figures in the NCAA.

East

STJ
Providence
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Villanova
Xavier

West
Dayton
Marquette
Depaul
Notre Dame
St. Louis
GONZAGA
Creighton

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »

East

STJ
Providence
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Villanova
Xavier

West
Dayton
Marquette
Depaul
Notre Dame
St. Louis
GONZAGA
Creighton

I can dig it!  Certainly, could go with that group of teams.  Toss Memphis in there, as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:37:19 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »
This basketball only conference is making me feel sick. I am sure we will p ack the garden when the dayton flyrers come to town. Rivalry game sju vs the real sju, that should bring in about 1500 people.
We have do what ever it takes to stay in the big time. An all basketball league is not the answer.

I agree. the league that erickthered posted seem like a good league on paper, but will we generate enough revenue to remain competitive.

ras

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
There is a possibility of RU and UCONN to the ACC, Loiusville to the SEC and the remaining BE football schools to the Bid 12. If that's the case you re looking at an all BB conference or a conference made of our BB schools and C USA caliber football schools.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »

East

STJ
Providence
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Villanova
Xavier

West
Dayton
Marquette
Depaul
Notre Dame
St. Louis
GONZAGA
Creighton

Zags?
C'mon now... they aint gonna join a league when they closest road game is half a continent away. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.