High Pressure Storm: Norm Roberts Feels Heat as St. John's Flounders

• 44 replies
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/02/25/2008-02-25_highpressure_storm_norm_roberts_feels_he.html?page=0

The meeting was relatively informal, but the kind that can go a long way toward landing a recruit. St. John's coach Norm Roberts got to spend a little time with one of New York's talented high schoolers, the kind the Red Storm has been missing out on for several years.
The player, from one of the area's top programs, expected to hear Roberts' vision of how going to St. John's would make him a better player and give him a shot to play professionally.
It's not what he got.
"The guy didn't have a good day," said one of the player's closest friends, who sat in on the conversation. "He wanted to talk about everything but what (the player) wanted to hear.
"Talk about girls? His social life? Being your buddy is what assistant coaches do."
In many ways, Roberts got dealt a tough hand when he was hired in April 2004. It was the low point of 100 years of St. John's basketball. There'd been a sex scandal in Pittsburgh and a divorce from the New York basketball community that left former coach Mike Jarvis declaring to a group of area high school coaches at one of his clinics that he would only be recruiting junior-college players.
Also, it was Roberts' first gig as head coach at a major college. And learning on the job is not the norm in the Big East.
Roberts is finishing his fourth season, and the Johnnies need a strong finish just to get back to the Big East's postseason tournament, which they reached last season for the first time in four years. The team is 10-16 after Saturday's 30-point loss at Duke, and a dialogue about the program's future is percolating. In high school gyms, on the talk-radio airwaves and among St. John's most loyal and influential supporters, the question is asked whether the school will stick with Roberts or make a change.
A determination probably is still weeks away and the value of Roberts' successes and failures will be measured by the university president, the Rev. Donald J. Harrington, and athletic director, Chris Monasch.
"I'm not willing to pass judgment on a season until it's a complete season," Monasch said. "We knew our record would probably take a step back this year. The criteria we're looking for is whether there's a good core of players to build on."
Roberts has removed the tarnish from the sex scandal and the subsequent revelation about illegal payments to a player. He and his staff have mended bridges with New York's high school and AAU programs. But on the court - where coaches are mostly measured - the Red Storm hasn't succeeded.
Nothing correlates with winning like recruiting, and this remains a problem for Roberts. Top recruits want to play for a winner, but programs don't win without top players. It's a Catch-22 that has kept the Storm circling the Big East drain.

League rivals Louisville, UConn and Notre Dame sit atop the 16-team Big East. All are getting major contributions from metro area-reared players. St. John's was in the running for several - most recently McDonald's All-Americans Sylven Landesberg from Holy Cross (who chose Virginia) and Kemba Walker from Rice (who chose UConn) - but has come up short with most top-line recruits.
"You want to see if a program is competitive and always makes the (NCAA) Tournament. You want to see what caliber of players they bring in and whether you will play," said St. Raymond's Omari Lawrence, who is sought by the Johnnies, Georgetown and Arizona among others. "But more than anything I want a coach who develops me. I want to get better and better, get a shot to play at the next level."
St. John's hasn't produced an NBA draft pick since Omar Cook in 2001, and he had little impact in the NBA compared to the parade of All-Stars who have come from Syracuse, UConn and Louisville.
"It's hard to compare Norm and them because he hasn't developed a pro yet at St. John's," said one city high school coach who requested anonymity. "No one has doubts about (Rick) Pitino's track record. To get a five-star recruit in New York or anywhere else, you need to be a coach who no one has questions about."
Said Roberts: "I understand people who follow the program aren't happy that we aren't winning and aren't happy we haven't been winning in the Garden. I want to win too, and I believe the path we're taking will get us there. I'm not happy it's taking this long, but we are doing it the right way and that's what I promised Father Harrington when he hired me."
A number of high school and AAU coaches contacted by the Daily News said the St. John's staff has been hard-working and diligent.
"The last few years you see (St. John's coaches) at more and more games," Lincoln coach Dwayne Morton said. "It's a sign they are hustling, doing their homework."
"Norm and his staff are working very hard. I don't know anyone who doesn't like them," added St. Raymond's coach Oliver Antigua. "The problem is that this is New York and you are expected to win. The city is quick to judge you on your record."
The losing is killing them. Last week, the Johnnies had four high-school recruits attend their game at the Garden against Villanova, including Lawrence. St. John's scored a season-low 13 points in the first half of an 18-point loss.
"A game like that makes it hard to consider them," Lawrence said. "They didn't stay energetic. They got stagnant. Maybe it's just too early in the process for things to be different. I want to produce and play and win on a high stage. They are on a high stage, but don't win."

"I keep St. John's in mind, but I don't know about them," said Keith Spellman of Jefferson, who counts St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova and Rutgers among his many suitors. "I want to go someplace where I can continue to win. I don't want to have to catch back up with everyone else."
But doing things honorably might be helping Roberts with coaches. When he recruited Ricky Torres out of St. Ray's in his first season, Antigua said Roberts made good on a promise that Torres would get as much help with his academics as needed. On-court issues ultimately led Torres to transfer, but Antigua said, "What (Roberts) did for Ricky on the academic side, it tells you a lot about him."
St. John's is playing eight freshmen, but has not signed a recruit for next year. Roberts says, "It's not a perfect situation, but it is getting better. We've asked our freshmen to play like juniors. I've asked Justin Burrell to play like a senior. That's tough, but it's going to pay off down the road.
"I think our freshman group is the nucleus of a winner."
The players that Roberts has landed also have met mixed reviews. Some have transferred, the most damaging loss being 6-8 Qa'rraan Calhoun, who unexpectedly left school for a personal reason. Some who stayed are improving.
"Mason's improved," said one NBA scout, referring to junior Anthony Mason Jr. "When he got there, he played most of his game on the perimeter. Now he's a scorer from all different parts of the court. He's filled out some. He has more confidence."
Calhoun went from being a bit player last season to an 11-point per-game scorer in the final six games. According to the scout, the 6-7 Burrell can be an NBA talent, but assessing him is hard when he constantly plays out of position at center.
One prominent St. John's alumnus, who requested anonymity, recently met with Harrington and discussed the program. The alum said that Harrington, who'd promised Roberts would be a "home run" when he was hired, expressed some concerns about the basketball program, but gave little indication whether a change of direction was coming.
Poor on-court performance is translating to increasingly smaller crowds, even at Carnesecca Arena, and a lower profile for the Big East in the city that hosts its premier event. The attendance issue is said to be straining St. John's relationship with the Garden. The profile issue has caused officials of the Big East Conference to quietly pine for the days when St. John's created a buzz.
"I see him as receptive to change if those around him think it's necessary," the alum said of Harrington. "But you wonder about whether the financial commitment for next year (the last on Roberts' original contract) is going to sway the decision."
In the meantime, the city's gossipy basketball community speculates.
"(My players) ask about (Roberts') future because they hear rumors," said one prominent Catholic league coach. "I'm not bringing it up with them, but they wonder and that can't be good for recruiting."
Said Antigua: "If the president or AD back him publicly ... rumors would go away."
Roberts says he gets encouragement from the administration and won't let speculation interfere with his mission to restore St. John's.
"I believe they're patient, but I don't know," he said. "What I do know is this: This school is better off for me and my staff being here. We've done the best we could and we're going to continue to do the best we can.
"If that's not good enough, that's life."
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: High Pressure Storm: Norm Roberts Feels Heat as St. John's Flounders
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:04:31 AM »

"The guy didn't have a good day," said one of the player's closest friends, who sat in on the conversation. "He wanted to talk about everything but what (the player) wanted to hear.
"Talk about girls? His social life? Being your buddy is what assistant coaches do."

This part was a bit unclear for me. Is that what Robert's said or is that what the kid wanted to talk about?

A few things I came away with...

Rumors....Rumors....and you guys wonder why I get upset when people say oh he's transferring. The power of the message board is strong. The Fire Norm chants don't help recruiting either. Everyone can feel how they feel about the situation but bottom line is if you want to see this team do better we need recruits no mater who the coach is and by doing these things its not helping.

NY kids don't care about St. John's unless they are winning and they don't want to be the person to bring them back they want to walk into a nice situation. There is no prestige factor anymore.

I don't know what the NBA scout was looking at all Mason does is play on the perimeter he's soft. Also Burrell has played PF all season its been Tomas/Dele/Evans playing the 5. He must work for the Knicks with his knowledge.

Also the anonymous alumni I'm assuming is Ted who owns BEB who recently had dinner with Father Harrington and pretty much said what was in the paper on the message board.

I think the article came out more negative than positive on a whole which I'm sure will make certain people more happy.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:34:57 AM »

This part was a bit unclear for me. Is that what Robert's said or is that what the kid wanted to talk about?

Rumors....Rumors....and you guys wonder why I get upset when people say oh he's transferring. The power of the message board is strong. The Fire Norm chants don't help recruiting either. Everyone can feel how they feel about the situation but bottom line is if you want to see this team do better we need recruits no mater who the coach is and by doing these things its not helping.

NY kids don't care about St. John's unless they are winning and they don't want to be the person to bring them back they want to walk into a nice situation. There is no prestige factor anymore.

I don't know what the NBA scout was looking at all Mason does is play on the perimeter he's soft. Also Burrell has played PF all season its been Tomas/Dele/Evans playing the 5. He must work for the Knicks with his knowledge.

Also the anonymous alumni I'm assuming is Ted who owns BEB who recently had dinner with Father Harrington and pretty much said what was in the paper on the message board.

I think the article came out more negative than positive on a whole which I'm sure will make certain people more happy.
a) Why is he talking about girls? He can't be pulling that Kansas assistant stuff.

b) I have never yelled, "Fire Norm," but our recruits don't have to be prospective rocket scientists in order to figure out that there are better options than taking a chance on Norm Roberts at St. John's. I can't blame the paying customers for the zero recruits.

c) There were an enormous amount of anonymous sources in that three page article.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »
point well taken, good article...

"I believe they're patient, but I don't know," he said. "What I do know is this: This school is better off for me and my staff being here. We've done the best we could and we're going to continue to do the best we can.

"If that's not good enough, that's life."

***Norm that is NOT good enough...and that is enough said***
***JJ transfer rumors DO hurt recruiting, but as far as I'm concerned our 08,09,10 recruiting class are finished. Can you honestly say top recruits are actually considering SJU?
***Chris M is hedging himself on the deferring to the outcome of the entire season, well if we fail to win another game, that will bring us to 10-20...i cannot see how the AD and admin can see any positive outcome....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 09:20:20 AM by NYCbuckeye »

kjd01067

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »
I hated reading this article just because those of us who follow the program are sick of hearing it over and over again.  Despite this I think articles like this will only help to get Norm out.  At this point I think this is the only way we can go.  No recruit with talent wants to play for Norm anymore and the players he has with talent are unhappy.  We cant do this for another year, if Norm is not gone at the end of the season I am extremely worried about what will happen this summer (someone leaving, signing a terrible recruit just because).  We need a new coach and I dont much care at this point who it is as long as its not Norm.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »

JJ
I think your site and what you are trying to do by getting the students involved is a great thing and important for the future of the program! Your job will be so much easier however once the Norm reign of error finally ends and they get someone in here who actually has some idea of what he is doing. Will be a lot easier to trump up interest with the students when the team actually runs a play, scores 70 points once in awhile and who knows, maybe wins more than it loses. Keep the faith / fire Norm!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
roger rubin did a great job with this. you can tell he did his homework and was extremely thorough. i think he came real close to what the grassroots basketball community feels about st johns.  the high school coaches speaking on this were on the record, and they wont come out and put st johns on blast, but when i speak to several coaches about the situation the response is always "norm is a good guy" or "norm is a class act. hes trying as hard as he can".  i NEVER hear a coach say "norm is doing a great job. he will bring that program back."  i get the feeling that hes seen as the lovable loser around the city.  coach antigua's point about ricky torres' case is good, but he has great players such as omari and kevin parrom and when it comes to their recruitment, the bottom line is the bottom line.  the good things that norm did with ricky torres and rob thomas in a similar sense won't relate to those blue chip recruits.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:25 PM »
     The article is a START. It won't oust Norm, but when the Post comes along and the articles (and blowout losses) start piling up, the heat will be on. However, I really believe Norm will be back next year.  :'(

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »
The whole point of this article is that results matter and 4 yrs down the line things haven't changed. We can go into the sanctions, the tough breaks, the injuries, but we're still not out of the tunnel. Most fans agree that the promise of the better tomorrow isn't enough anymore.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
JJ, just wanted to let you know, your doing an excellent job on the boards.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
...basically the article says Norm is a nice guy but he's not getting the top recruits anytime soon...and explains why...no vote of a confidence from HS coaches and players don't see any winning so far or in the foreseeable future.

Sad state of affairs we're in...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »
his "Leaving NYC" part is not well handled I think.  Doesn't make much sense.  Although he is talking about how NYC players selected in the all city daily news has not chose STJ it still is a stupid argument.  here's why..

2005:
Levance Fields -- Pittsburgh
Sai'Quon Stone -- Southern Mississippi
Kyle Mcalarney -- Notre Dame
Jamel Jackson -- TCI Junior College
Larry Davis -- Seton hall

how can you complain that we didn't get Stone or Jackson when they ended up at a community college and a terrible bball school in southern miss??    he should have named Theo Davis who went to Iowa State and Weyimi Efejuku who went to Providence.  There's also John Garcia and Danny Green in LI who Norm missed out on.  Hell he could have put Antonio Pena who's on Nova now.  He was with Lincoln!

2006 he lists:
Curtis Kelly -- UConn
Edgar Sosa -- Louisville
Alejo Rodriguez -- Iona
Rasheem Jenkins -- Western Texas JC
Rob Hampton -- Drexel
Kevin Menner- Ventura Junior College
Jamine Peterson -- Providence

Again, why is he mad we didn't land guys who ended up at Iona/Drexel and two community colleges? Should have named.. Larry Davis from CTK going to Seton Hall, Austin Wallace from La Salle going to Pitt, Kashif Pratt from Rice going to Seton hall..  Common theme...no Rice guys to STJ...

Then he lists 2007...

Lance Stephenson -- "Still in HS"
Sylven Landesberg -- VA
Erving Walker -- FL
Kemba Walker -- Uconn
Zamal Nixon -- Houston
Mike Cavatio -- STJ

Only two people on this list are in the 2007 class.  One went to a mid major Houston program while 1 went to St. John's.  Also, I'm surprised to see Boothe wasn't selected.

If he wanted to make a major statement about the recruiting he should have talked about how the major program prospects chose other schools.  Instead anyone with common sense knows that going to JC or mid major shows the player isn't that good.  Should have went by class not daily news all city thing.  Also should have made known how he has not gotten one Rice player yet...   

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 10:33:44 PM »
So now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon that Roberts is a lousy recruiter because he can't land the big fish here. I think the Daily News took a cheap shot with these quotes about him talking about girls. Perhaps he inquired about in just small talk in the beginning....How are you? Hows everything? Studies? Girls? What's going on in your life? Maybe said all this in 2 min out of 30 min to break the ice. 

Also I don't think not landing the big fish lands on Norms recruiting ability but more of his results on the court. He's not getting wins and that ultimately hurts. I think Norm is a very good recruiter and not everything falls onto his shoulders. Kevin Jones, Mookie Jones, Sylven Landesberg all had great things to say about Norm and so did their families and I don't think they chose Coach XYZ over Norm as much as it was choosing school XYZ over St. John's. Compare our campus or facilities to UVA and tell me where you would choose. Compare our attendance to any ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 school. We sell exposure with every game being on TV, competition playing in the Big East, and then what? We don't have many bullets in the gun.

I credit Norm as a talent evaluator I think he sees talent and potential in kids which is evident in this class. Don't rebut with Geno and Tomas because we weren't landing anyone in those seasons. Geno has improved a lot in his four years and if you look at his stats you'll see. This isn't saying he is an all big east player but he's gotten better from where he was day 1 to where he is now. Getting Burrell early, signing DJ and Paris late, finding Evans.

Bottom line is Norm has failed to show me improved X and O this season which has been my biggest criticism of him as a coach the past 4 years. I can understand the administration giving him another year based on the fact they want to give Norm the fairest of shakes and not go through the trouble of going through another hiring process and perhaps there aren't any candidates out there they like meaning next year would be the end all be all. I also can see the administration letting him go for failure to show improvement and overall lack of X and O and might see Robert's ceiling as a coach might not be as high as they once thought. Bottom line is we have a few more games this season where this is our team and he is our coach and I for one will hope the team does the best they can.

Randomhero423

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 10:49:01 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you said.  That's why I think Norm can be a very very very good Assistant as a good program and a solid coach for a mid major team.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:47:44 AM »
I really do think Norm is over his head. I think he would make an EXCELLENT assistant at a big name school, but just dosen't have what it takes to be a Big East head coach. I'm not saying he's not a good guy, or a good person, but sometimes things don't always work out. It's not personal, just business!

Randomhero423

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:34 AM »
or maybe it's just life   ;D

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »
thats the most pathetic line i've heard in my life under the current circumstances.....'If that's not good enough, that's life." Norm sounds like a teenager.

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
So now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon that Roberts is a lousy recruiter because he can't land the big fish here. I think the Daily News took a cheap shot with these quotes about him talking about girls. Perhaps he inquired about in just small talk in the beginning....How are you? Hows everything? Studies? Girls? What's going on in your life? Maybe said all this in 2 min out of 30 min to break the ice. 

Also I don't think not landing the big fish lands on Norms recruiting ability but more of his results on the court. He's not getting wins and that ultimately hurts. I think Norm is a very good recruiter and not everything falls onto his shoulders. Kevin Jones, Mookie Jones, Sylven Landesberg all had great things to say about Norm and so did their families and I don't think they chose Coach XYZ over Norm as much as it was choosing school XYZ over St. John's. Compare our campus or facilities to UVA and tell me where you would choose. Compare our attendance to any ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 school. We sell exposure with every game being on TV, competition playing in the Big East, and then what? We don't have many bullets in the gun.

I credit Norm as a talent evaluator I think he sees talent and potential in kids which is evident in this class. Don't rebut with Geno and Tomas because we weren't landing anyone in those seasons. Geno has improved a lot in his four years and if you look at his stats you'll see. This isn't saying he is an all big east player but he's gotten better from where he was day 1 to where he is now. Getting Burrell early, signing DJ and Paris late, finding Evans.

Bottom line is Norm has failed to show me improved X and O this season which has been my biggest criticism of him as a coach the past 4 years. I can understand the administration giving him another year based on the fact they want to give Norm the fairest of shakes and not go through the trouble of going through another hiring process and perhaps there aren't any candidates out there they like meaning next year would be the end all be all. I also can see the administration letting him go for failure to show improvement and overall lack of X and O and might see Robert's ceiling as a coach might not be as high as they once thought. Bottom line is we have a few more games this season where this is our team and he is our coach and I for one will hope the team does the best they can.

JJ, not trying to argue with you here but I could not disagree more with a lot of what you have said here...

The Daily News gave an account of a conversation a recruit shared with Roger Rubin..  there was nothing cheap about pointing out that Norm talked about things that are better left to assistants...   and didn't have a serious conversation about the players hoops future...  it wasn't like the kid said. . "Norm started off by talking about.. .   " He said that was what they discussed...

I just don't understand how anyone can say Norm Roberts is a good recruiter...   he hasn't brought single kid here that has turned into an All Conference performer...   Lamont Hamilton was All Conf last year but he wasn't a Norm recruit...  He didn't beat anyone of significance for Burrell...   Evans might be a find but DJ & Paris are role players..   EVERY coach who has been at St. John's has brought in All American recruits...   every coach before him has has Top 5 - 10 nationally ranked recruiting classes...  and on top of not landing high level players.. . what top level coach has this many kids transfer..   and nothing has happened this year to make me think one or two kids will not announce a transfer in a few weeks...

I think you mistaken if you don't think guys are choosing to NOT play for Norm Roberts...  top level kids are not picking schools, they are picking a coach to play for...   maybe a few here and there will choose one atmosphere over another but most of them want to play for a coach they feel might get them to the next level ...  and Norm has not shown an ability to make any of his players significantlky better..

I think the school would be making massive mistake bringing him back next year. We hear all this talk about a 5 year roll over contract but no one I know can with a doubt confirm this to be true...

If he is entering his last year of a contract they can't let him twist in the wind...   he will have to be given an extension if they bring him back. . or make some sort of very public vote of confidence for him. St. jonh's will get killed on the recruiting trail with a lame duck coach...     we have no impact recruits for next year and then we would not have any in 2009 if Norm's job status is not very clear to everyone...   they can't let this happen to the basketball program...

I wish the team success th rest of the way but I do think they will lose out with two or three of the games being ugly blowouts...

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
pmg, i agree...we did not/do not have that one signature recruit....syl was it, and syl it was.....i bet anybody that with burrell's talent, he could have been one of the best be freshman with a REAL coach...for the love of god.....norm needs to go....

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »

JJ, not trying to argue with you here but I could not disagree more with a lot of what you have said here...

The Daily News gave an account of a conversation a recruit shared with Roger Rubin..  there was nothing cheap about pointing out that Norm talked about things that are better left to assistants...   and didn't have a serious conversation about the players hoops future...  it wasn't like the kid said. . "Norm started off by talking about.. .   " He said that was what they discussed... 

It wasn't the recruit who said this but his friend who sat in on the conversation. I think the quotes were incomplete which is why they are very unclear left up to interpretation while reading. My opinion on the matter isn't going to be agreed on by most and thats fine however what I said I stand by. I do think Norm is a good recruiter and talent evaluator and him not landing the top recruits isn't because of that but rather his game coaching abilities and the school.

I just don't understand how anyone can say Norm Roberts is a good recruiter...   he hasn't brought single kid here that has turned into an All Conference performer...   Lamont Hamilton was All Conf last year but he wasn't a Norm recruit...  He didn't beat anyone of significance for Burrell...   Evans might be a find but DJ & Paris are role players.. 

Are we going to discredit Norm for recruiting Burrell while no one else significant did?