High Pressure Storm: Norm Roberts Feels Heat as St. John's Flounders

• 44 replies
Re: High Pressure Storm: Norm Roberts Feels Heat as St. John's Flounders
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »
who said mase was a potential NBA 2nd rounder??

kjd01067

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
who said mase was a potential NBA 2nd rounder??

nbadraft.net had him a couple of weeks ago as a mid to late second round pick in the 09 draft.  I just went and checked and he has been dropped off the mock draft.  On athleticism and his name alone i think he might have a cup of coffee with someone in nba in the future (Not the way he has played recently though).

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »
JJ- how do i get 3-stars on my rating???? do i need to post like 1000 comments?

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »
JJ- how do i get 3-stars on my rating???? do i need to post like 1000 comments?

250 posts will make you have 3 stars...Walk-on status

4 stars is 500
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »

I just don't understand how anyone can say Norm Roberts is a good recruiter...   he hasn't brought single kid here that has turned into an All Conference performer...   Lamont Hamilton was All Conf last year but he wasn't a Norm recruit...  He didn't beat anyone of significance for Burrell...   Evans might be a find but DJ & Paris are role players.. 

Are we going to discredit Norm for recruiting Burrell while no one else significant did?

Who did he beat out for Justin Burrell...?   who has he truly beaten when battleing for a player..?

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »

I just don't understand how anyone can say Norm Roberts is a good recruiter...   he hasn't brought single kid here that has turned into an All Conference performer...   Lamont Hamilton was All Conf last year but he wasn't a Norm recruit...  He didn't beat anyone of significance for Burrell...   Evans might be a find but DJ & Paris are role players.. 

Are we going to discredit Norm for recruiting Burrell while no one else significant did?

Who did he beat out for Justin Burrell...?   who has he truly beaten when battleing for a player..?

I believe he beat everyone for Justin Burrell. Whether schools were heavily involved in his recruiting doesn't matter as he is a great talent. That is very good talent evaluation and recruiting. I understand your point of when it comes down to us and talented programs we usually wind up with the short end of the stick. You can't argue getting talent before the opposition comes on the trail is a bad thing.

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »

Who did he beat out for Justin Burrell...?   who has he truly beaten when battleing for a player..?

I believe he beat everyone for Justin Burrell. Whether schools were heavily involved in his recruiting doesn't matter as he is a great talent. That is very good talent evaluation and recruiting. I understand your point of when it comes down to us and talented programs we usually wind up with the short end of the stick. You can't argue getting talent before the opposition comes on the trail is a bad thing.

so in 4 years of recruiting he was able to nab a diamond in the rough and maybe one other one in Sean Evans...    2 players in 4 years makes him a good recruiter...

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 04:38:18 PM »

so in 4 years of recruiting he was able to nab a diamond in the rough and maybe one other one in Sean Evans...    2 players in 4 years makes him a good recruiter...

Q Calhoun, Derwin Kitchen, Rob Thomas were all good players that haven't panned out for reasons we all know. Also can you answer my question of are you discrediting Norm for recruiting Burrell when no one else did? Isn't a good recruiter supposed to seek talent over others who don't?

pmg911

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »

Q Calhoun, Derwin Kitchen, Rob Thomas were all good players that haven't panned out for reasons we all know. Also can you answer my question of are you discrediting Norm for recruiting Burrell when no one else did? Isn't a good recruiter supposed to seek talent over others who don't?

JJ come on. .  a transfer and two guys who had to sit out for academics...   those are the recruits you are going to point...   how about pointing to someone currently making a contribution..  someone you can really point to as the type of player to build a program around...

I will give you Burrell. . he was a diamond in the rough.....      but getting one or two succesful recruits is nothing to hang your hat on..    this man was supposed to be the guy to keep the high school players from NYC home...     they have been leaving in bunches since Norm got the job and he has lost every major recruiting battle he has been involved in...     Kemba, Wiggins & Landesburg to name a few..    he has been a complete an total failure on the sidelines and on the recruiting trail..

He has done good things with the academics and restoring the programs reputation.. . but I am sorry, that is not enough...

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »
I agree with you PMG but I still think he is a good recruiter. When you have no proven track record as a coach and come to a school in the situation of St. John's you aren't going to land the big recruits right away. He needed to win right away to establish something and he has failed as a coach which has hindered his results in recruiting. I think if he won this year or next we'd see some recruits changing their mind about St. John's but this didn't happen nor do I see it happening.

I do think Paris and DJ will be nice contributors to this team within their 4 years.

pmg911

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »
I agree with you PMG but I still think he is a good recruiter. When you have no proven track record as a coach and come to a school in the situation of St. John's you aren't going to land the big recruits right away. He needed to win right away to establish something and he has failed as a coach which has hindered his results in recruiting. I think if he won this year or next we'd see some recruits changing their mind about St. John's but this didn't happen nor do I see it happening.

I do think Paris and DJ will be nice contributors to this team within their 4 years.

It could be worse..

not the sleeveless guy could be the coach... 

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
lets not flip flop the topic of discussion here...

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »
C U Norm

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 11:48:05 PM »

JJ I hear you...when Norm came in he was facing an impossible situation.  I didn't expect much the first 2 years...but coaching is a tough business and he really needed to land a quality third class.  Thomas Calhoun Kitchen Patterson and Wright was an okay class but only 2 of the 5 are still here...one is coming off major surgery and Norm has been unable to get the most out of Wright. (though he did improve quite a bit from his freshman year)

I have some hope for this Freshman class but we need some higher level players to fill out the roster.  And all signs point to Norm not being able to bring them in.  IMO Norm's last chance rested on the 2008 class and he got shutout.  Unfortunately  I think it all goes back to Wiggins...Norm found a diamond in the rough and apparently didn't pay enough attention to Harvey or Grant (who had SJU as his dream school) or another PG and we ended up with none in that class when Wiggins screwed us.  Now we only have one PG on the roster for next year.  Not good.

I patiently waited for this year to see what Norm could do.  I wasn't expecting a great record because of having a young team but waited to see how the team played and to see the potential of the recruits.  I like some of the players he has brought in but the coaching issues, substitutions, and combinations of lineups are puzzling.  Doc Butler's post says it all better than I ever could...I truly was rooting for Norm as much as anyone and it pains me to say that its time for St. John's to move on.  I think the quotes we've seen from Norm and the interview on the FAN point to Norm feeling the heat too. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 12:33:35 AM »
Jumpin you echo pretty much the same feelings I have about everything. However 2008 isn't up yet so I'll wait and see until spring

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 08:22:44 AM »
Jumpin you echo pretty much the same feelings I have about everything. However 2008 isn't up yet so I'll wait and see until spring

I think most reasonable fans feel that way...I'm not sure how anyone could root against this guy.  But I think Norm is a miracle away of keeping his job.

kob24

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »
florida state, gtech and kentucky recruited justin very hard. also a couple of prominent school which i wont name tried to get him out of his loi. stop saying he wasnt recruited because he signed with st. johns. there is a reason why he signed.

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »
could you share with us the reason kob? i respect your decision to say no
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kob24

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »
new york is the number one market in the country when it is hot. so when it gets there i want him to be apart of it.

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »
new york is the number one market in the country when it is hot. so when it gets there i want him to be apart of it.

you need to get him some more help ;D