BE commish on STJ Hoops -- fake quote nevermind

• 16 replies

Randomhero423

BE commish on STJ Hoops -- fake quote nevermind
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »
From redmen.com

"I think that our conference is the strongest in the country, bar none. Now, I watched St. John's at Duke a couple of days ago, and our league did not put its best foot forward in that game. As I've said before, you cannot hire a career assistant in our league and hope to survive. I have had that conversation with officials at several of our league members, and they understand that there are certain requirements to participate in Big East basketball.

Our BCS football members are fully familiar with the requirements that they must meet in order to continue to participate in the league. We have facilities requirements, attendance requirements, and competition requirements for football participation, and there is precedent for removing teams that do not meet our requirements.

There is no reason why a similar standard cannot or should not be applied from a basketball perspective. Certainly we honor and respect those programs that have been with us since the time the league started. However, as a league we have to maintain certain standards and we expect our member institutions to conform their behavior to those standards. If a particular institution is out of compliance with all applicable league standards, longevity of membership does not trump lack of compliance."

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 05:04:38 PM by Randomhero423 »

Re: BE commish on STJ Hoops
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
This is a larger blow than the Roger Ruben article far larger....I think an upset over Gtown and ND might be in order for Norm to keep his job. The pressure cooker is becoming far too great now.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »
really scary of the idea if we keep norm we may be out of the big east conference entirely..

although i think he said this so he can get norm out of the job more than say we may not stay in the BE..

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »
finally powerful words that will make an impact....does Chris M or FH have this announcement? We should email them this.....

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
Those are mighty strong words.  That ought to put pressure on the powers that be.  I just can't imagine St. John's in a different conference.  Sure, we play like an NEC team at times, but still..

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:02:07 PM »
Though these statements might seem accurate, this post appears to be B.S. Guy on redmen.com making a joke or something ??? 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »
That has to be fake.  No one would say "you can't hire a career assistant..."-- that's too pointed for a leader of a conference and moreover, that puts a ridiculous onus on who schools choose.  What about assistants from within the Big East?  Get that out of here, I wanna see a source.  I call BS.

Oh, I see wearesju pointed out that it's bogus also.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »
thats a good one...

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »
BS statement or not do you think down the line there could be truth to this statement?

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »
who knows, they never said anything about kicking out rutgers out of the be, or any team of any conference out....

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »
BS statement or not do you think down the line there could be truth to this statement?

You need a NY area team. But if you look at it the schools that suck as bad as us in basketball all have a good football team except for Depaul. I don't think we ever get thrown out. MSG ending our relationship I think WILL happen. No matter what anyone says this will be a crushing blow for the program. SJU need the garden! If we lose the garden and are a bottom feeder for another 5 years, I could see SJU deciding to leave  for a smaller conference on its own.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 04:21:19 PM »
who knows, they never said anything about kicking out rutgers out of the be, or any team of any conference out....

Rutgers = football

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »

Rutgers = football

prior to 2005 :)

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
That has to be fake.  No one would say "you can't hire a career assistant..."-- that's too pointed for a leader of a conference and moreover, that puts a ridiculous onus on who schools choose.  What about assistants from within the Big East?  Get that out of here, I wanna see a source.  I call BS.

Oh, I see wearesju pointed out that it's bogus also.

the post is BS...but the commissioner was in fact quoted as saying something close to "you can't hire a career assistant..."  I think lawman just expanded on that fact.  See link below.

"Complicating that is the fact you have really good coaching throughout this league. You have young coaches who are really aggressive and people who are fighting for their lives. This is a dificult league. It's a great league for the fans. It's great for TV, but it's a hard league for the coaches.

"I don't believe if there is a coaching opening in our league, you can bring in an assistant coach and survive.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7825124/Is-Big-East-too-big-for-its-own-good
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »
This quote must be bogus because WVA just hired their asst football coach as their new head didn't they?

MT would never call out a member school like this.

Randomhero423

Re: BE commish on STJ Hoops -- fake quote nevermind
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »
it is fake.  i editted the title. not that funny of a joke..

Re: BE commish on STJ Hoops -- fake quote nevermind
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »

sadly...Yes...the whole Football rules theory.   It's not even that we're not good.  We aren't even watchable and it doesn't show well on the Big East.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!