bearcatlair.com reporting that big 12 is close to poaching some big east schools

• 67 replies

wpc77

BearcatLair.com reports “there are still a lot of details to be worked out as it relates to divisional breakouts, when new league would start play, etc.,” but the Big 12 appears to be moving toward 14 teams. The report says BYU, TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati and West Virginia would join current Big 12 members.

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Board/39/Realignment-929-the-path-is-becoming-clearer-for-UC-4567931/1

Moose

Good.
Remember who broke the Slice news

wpc77

Not sure if it's good or not...if this happens, look for ND to perhaps join the Big "14" for all sports except football - aside from mens hoops, the Big "14" will have an advantage as far as non-revenue sports and geographical fit for them.  That would leave the big east with SJU, Hoyas, Nova, Providence, Hall, DePaul, Marquette, Rutgers, UConn (with the latter 2 itching to bolt - and they probably would eventually).

That leaves 7 teams, throw 5 A 10 teams (say Xavier, Dayton, Temple, UMass, Duquense).  That's a good hoops conference but not much else (as far as non-revenue sports).  It will take a good negotiatior to get that league a good tv deal as compared to the other conferences.

Not sure if it's good or not...if this happens, look for ND to perhaps join the Big "14" for all sports except football - aside from mens hoops, the Big "14" will have an advantage as far as non-revenue sports and geographical fit for them.  That would leave the big east with SJU, Hoyas, Nova, Providence, Hall, DePaul, Marquette, Rutgers, UConn (with the latter 2 itching to bolt - and they probably would eventually).

That leaves 7 teams, throw 5 A 10 teams (say Xavier, Dayton, Temple, UMass, Duquense).  That's a good hoops conference but not much else (as far as non-revenue sports).  It will take a good negotiatior to get that league a good tv deal as compared to the other conferences.

I think ND stay wit the Catholic schools cause:
1. They got the religious mission in common.
2. ND still gots itself a massive fan and alum base in NYC. 

Im likin Xavier, Dayton, UMass and Temple, but Duquense is too small time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:37:43 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

wpc77

Also, if ND did bail, watch Marqueete or DePaul go with them so that the Big "14" can get an even # of schools for hoops (16)

Moose

Bad.

Why?  These schools are not breaking from the NCAA.  Get rid of the football dead weight and bring back a basketball focused conference with all the big media markets.  With all the conferences forming TV networks ESPN will want us.  I'm liking it.  I wish it would just be over and we move on.  Not the service academies.  Not Kansas, Baylor and Central Florida.  Call up Butler, Xavier, Dayton and someone else and you have a 12 team conference.  You can even be agressive and go 14 but within reason.  You must expand a bit west for that.

Moose

Also, if ND did bail, watch Marqueete or DePaul go with them so that the Big "14" can get an even # of schools for hoops (16)

These other conferences do not want bball only schools.

And ND doesnt want to be part of a conference.

Now that one most def aint happenin.

Evry conf commish has seen that the BE model cant work. Nobody's gonna try a hybrid BCS league.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:51:09 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

wpc77

Again, I am talking about ND as a non-football member

Moose

Again, I am talking about ND as a non-football member

No conference wanted ND as non football member except the BE.  Don't think that has changed.

Not wild about U Mass they want to upgrade football. Seems that they want to follow in steps of U Conn.

wpc77

Moose - Big 12 offered ND as a non-football member last year.  I know that for a fact.  It might still be on the table.

Moose

Not wild about U Mass they want to upgrade football. Seems that they want to follow in steps of U Conn.

Yes after about 10 yrs they have finally made some moves.  But that was with the current NCAA model in mind.  Does that change now with the superconferences.

Moose

Moose - Big 12 offered ND as a non-football member last year.  I know that for a fact.  It might still be on the table.

I don't recall that.  Googled Big 12 offering Notre Dame and most of what I saw was this summer's articles that focused on football inclusion.  If what your saying is true and ND didn't join last year they won't join now.

wpc77

What I am saying is not from a news outlet.

If the 5 teams mentioned leave for the big 12, and therefore rutgers and UConn likely leave, that makes non-revenue sports in the remaining big east less of a fit for ND.  It makes them more likely to move from the big east.  Not an absolute, but more likely than last year.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:16:58 PM by wpc77 »

Moose

What I am saying is not from a news outlet.

If the 5 teams mentioned leave for the big 12, and therefore rutgers and UConn likely leave, that makes non-revenue sports in the remaining big east less of a fit for ND.  It makes them more likely to move from the big east.  Not an absolute, but more likely than last year.

So you have a source who knows of this and it was never reported?

Why is it less of a fit if its non revenue sports we speak of?

wpc77

Yes.

Aside from mens basketball, The non revenue sports at the 7 big east schools which would remain (assuming UConn and Rutgers were also to leave) - SJU, GTown, Nova, Providence, Hall, DePaul, Marquette - would be in general inferior to what the newly formed Big 12 would offer. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Bad.

Why?  These schools are not breaking from the NCAA.  Get rid of the football dead weight and bring back a basketball focused conference with all the big media markets.  With all the conferences forming TV networks ESPN will want us.  I'm liking it.  I wish it would just be over and we move on.  Not the service academies.  Not Kansas, Baylor and Central Florida.  Call up Butler, Xavier, Dayton and someone else and you have a 12 team conference.  You can even be agressive and go 14 but within reason.  You must expand a bit west for that.
I think there can be a nice basketball-only conference. I'd like to see this realignment move to its conclusion.

But will that conference have a media deal that pays good money, money enough to keep the Big East at the talent/ coaching level that it enjoys? I'm less sure about that than you are, honestly. I think it can be comparable. But I'm not sure; and if the other conferences are right about media rights and they actually make even MORE money from their deals, doesn't that change the financial playing field?

Additionally, years of not knowing what the new Big East would look like will hurt recruiting. It's hard to sell fans and players on the idea that little will change in hoops when they're going to hear for 2 years (hopefully less) about the league breaking up.

It could be good... but there's a lot we don't know.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Yes.

Aside from mens basketball, The non revenue sports at the 7 big east schools which would remain (assuming UConn and Rutgers were also to leave) - SJU, GTown, Nova, Providence, Hall, DePaul, Marquette - would be in general inferior to what the newly formed Big 12 would offer. 
I'll note that right now, Rutgers and U Conn don't have ACC invites. Maybe not even interest. Which means that either they find some other new conference, or they con the basketball schools to take on mediocrities, the UCFs and the ECUs. And we'll do this dance again when the ACC feels like flexing its muscle.