I think we're in for a brutally long St. John's season in basketball

• 51 replies
Goinng into this season we currently lack the following key ingredients listed below to success.

* No true-Center plus no experience at Center plus very little size overall down low beside at the Center position plus very little experience once again at the SF & PF positions.

* We're currently short (3-4) scholarship players, that's almost one-third of the entire roster.

*  We have very little returning experience overall.

This is going to be a long year guys.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:18:58 PM by Lapchick1 »

Re: I think we're in for a brutally long St. John's season in basketball
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
No matter the results, which I think will be average, I will be ecxcited to watch every game. We have six incoming players this year and im excited about each and every one. The other 3 would have been even better but were still in a great position moving forward.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
No matter the results, which I think will be average, I will be ecxcited to watch every game. We have six incoming players this year and im excited about each and every one. The other 3 would have been even better but were still in a great position moving forward.

We were in great shape moving forward, but not so much anymore with the (3) non-qualifiers WITH TWO OF THEM NOW LOOKING ELSEWHERE.  To be one key player short hurts a lot, but to be (3) short is brutallly bad I'm sorry to have to say, but "it is what it is" right now.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
He's but we have a few guys that can con for 40 points any given night.  If they are both on and the rest of the team gets after it on the boards, we could hang with anyone.

Once Garrett become eligible we will have enough depth and defensive talent to press and play small ball.

ras

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:22:15 PM »
I havnt read any direct quotes fromm Pelle saying he wants to go elsewhere. His sister said in a Tweet he still wants to go to SJU. That said, I wish he was like Garrett where there is no speculatioG arrett makes it clear again and again he wants to play here.

crgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
Goinng into this season we currently lack the following key ingredients listed below to success.

* No true-Center plus no experience at Center plus very little size overall down low beside at the Center position plus very little experience once again at the SF & PF positions.

* We're currently short (3-4) scholarship players, that's almost one-third of the entire roster.

*  We have very little returning experience overall.

This is going to be a long year guys.

Thoughts?

Short on experience, but our 1-6 players are going to be more talented than our 1-6 players last year.  We've got excellent player devlopment coaches, one of the best x's and o's coaches in the business, and one of the best motivational coaches in the business, and a hall of famer as a consultant.  And  we're possibly getting players 8 and 9 back in December - with over 30 potential games remaining.  One the #1 ranked center in his class, the other one of the best athletes and best defenders in high school ball last year.

Yeah could be difficult.  But could be special as well....

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
All they have been doing in practice is DEFENSE. Thats all the staff is focusing on for now

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
All they have been doing in practice is DEFENSE. Thats all the staff is focusing on for now

And that is exactly what they need to be practicing.  Nuri and Harrison can score I. Their sleep. Nou only chance to finish above .500 is if we are a menacing defensive team.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »
Question for crgreen:  do you plan to come up for any games in MSG?  Perhaps UCLA. 

If yes, how about a cr party!

crgreen

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 08:54:15 PM »
Question for crgreen:  do you plan to come up for any games in MSG?  Perhaps UCLA. 

If yes, how about a cr party!

I'd hoped to.  Unfortunatley all travel plans are on hold for awhile.  February's a long way away   :) :)

Moose

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »

And that is exactly what they need to be practicing.  Nuri and Harrison can score I. Their sleep. Nou only chance to finish above .500 is if we are a menacing defensive team.

Stop the presses!
Marillac just praised Nuri.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »
He's but we have a few guys that can con for 40 points any given night.  If they are both on and the rest of the team gets after it on the boards, we could hang with anyone.

Once Garrett become eligible we will have enough depth and defensive talent to press and play small ball.
Yes we will probably be able to score (will be harder for guards to score as we have no inside game), but we won't be able to stop teams on D and we will get killed off the boards. Even before the loss of the 3 freshman even coach Lavs said this season would be a struggle.

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 03:21:49 AM »

Yes we will probably be able to score (will be harder for guards to score as we have no inside game), but we won't be able to stop teams on D and we will get killed off the boards. Even before the loss of the 3 freshman even coach Lavs said this season would be a struggle.

Going to have to pack the zone in a bit and make teams just shoot over us.  Make teams win with outside shooting.  Not sure strategy will be all that different than last year in that respect.  Utilize the clock but run when we can.  It will be a struggle, but the beginning of big things here.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »
The only way this team can compete is if Lindsey is Marcus Harrison, is Scottie Reynolds and Pointer is Dante Jones.

And while I'm at it, I'll add that GG must be at least as good as Minlend. Harkless must be able to hold down the fort inside, and the Greene/Stith combo have got to be ready to compete from day 1.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
Even with the three ineligible guys we weren't going to be great this season anyway. With no depth or size, unfortunately we are going to have to play Norm Roberts basketball on offense and will have to play a pack in zone on D so it will be a little ugly to watch.

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
Even with the three ineligible guys we weren't going to be great this season anyway. With no depth or size, unfortunately we are going to have to play Norm Roberts basketball on offense and will have to play a pack in zone on D so it will be a little ugly to watch.
" Norm Roberts basketball on offense" ---- HUH?  Dear Lord, noooooooooo.....  How about up tempo, heavy transition ball w/ minimal TOs for Frosh...

redslope

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
Before last season I was through 7 brutally long seasons with no hope of change.  i am immune to brutally long seasons.  This may be long and brutal but it will have the hope for the future as the direction of the program has changed.  If I see a spirited team, giving its all and showing development over the course of 5 months I will happy.  The Magnificent Seven was a great movie--hopefully this sequel will be half as good.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »
" Norm Roberts basketball on offense" ---- HUH?  Dear Lord, noooooooooo.....  How about up tempo, heavy transition ball w/ minimal TOs for Frosh...

This season is out of necessity and at least we will have better players than we had under Norm. Unfortunately Lavin does not have much of a choice as far as style of play this season. I am still looking forward to seeing the kids play despite what our record and style of play will be.

Foad

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
This season is out of necessity and at least we will have better players than we had under Norm. Unfortunately Lavin does not have much of a choice as far as style of play this season. I am still looking forward to seeing the kids play despite what our record and style of play will be.

Except there's no reason to play a style this year that they're not going to play next year. The games they win will because they're more talented than the other teams and the games they lose will be because they're less experienced. They're not going to beat DeWk and Kentucky whether they walk the ball up the floor or not. The best thing TGAPL can do is throw them to the wolves immediately - that means zone, press, run. If they're going to get they're brains kicked in - and they are - they might as well learn something in the meanwhile.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »

I don't agree. They are incredibly limited from the opening tip right now. Norm Roberts' influence is long gone. The damage he caused is still here, but Lavin isn't going to do anything that fool would have done.