Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th

• 125 replies
Re: Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
I think the older fans outnumber the younger ones on this board 5:1 so I don't expect any older fans to agree with me. Relax. Take a deep breath. It's a big pep rally. It's not just a way to pump the crowd up, but also a way to bring STUDENTS together. You guys had your college time in a much easier period, now let the current students get the focus. It's like a father complaining after bringing his son to the carnival that there aren't any games for older people. He isn't in their demographic obviously and that's why. Ever wonder why Chuck E Cheese doesn't have a bar and strip club inside? Because it's demographic is for young kids. You really want to be in a room full of late teens and twentysomethings while a DJ you never heard of is blasting hip hop that you don't even understand or like (I assume overwhelmingly)? You guys already all but guaranteed our generation will never be able to retire or receive pensions and ate all the cake instead of leaving us a slice left over, so give the current students a night to hang out with each other and form school pride together. I'm not saying the older generations haven't helped St. John's immensely in terms of support, because they certainly have, but why you feel it's a slap in the face that you can't hang out with a bunch of young people who have a stronger connection with the school than you do is beyond me. If you guys are really that passionate, I expect to see lots of older alumni at MSG supporting this team helping to give better home court advantage.

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
johnnie11'
I am starting to think that is your age and not your year of graduation!

This event is not, and never has been,  advertised as a "pep rally". Pep rallies are held before big games! The "Tip-Off" replaced Midnight Madness as a celebration of the start of basketball practice and the introduction of the team to its fans, young and old.

Tickets are available free to any Tom, Dick or Harry that shows up at the ticket window. I agree that alumni, whether they graduated in 2011 or 1981, should get on line like everyone else. Obviously since the on-campus students live there, they get the first freebies at 2pm. But I get my tickets at 6pm and have no problem getting in with the younger fans. What is sad is that for many students this will be the one and only time they enter CA because it is free!

LJSA

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
Between this guy and the tight shirt guy, I'm starting to think that today's students needlessly overanalyze everything.

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:50 PM »
I think the older fans outnumber the younger ones on this board 5:1 so I don't expect any older fans to agree with me. Relax. Take a deep breath. It's a big pep rally. It's not just a way to pump the crowd up, but also a way to bring STUDENTS together. You guys had your college time in a much easier period, now let the current students get the focus. It's like a father complaining after bringing his son to the carnival that there aren't any games for older people. He isn't in their demographic obviously and that's why. Ever wonder why Chuck E Cheese doesn't have a bar and strip club inside? Because it's demographic is for young kids. You really want to be in a room full of late teens and twentysomethings while a DJ you never heard of is blasting hip hop that you don't even understand or like (I assume overwhelmingly)? You guys already all but guaranteed our generation will never be able to retire or receive pensions and ate all the cake instead of leaving us a slice left over, so give the current students a night to hang out with each other and form school pride together. I'm not saying the older generations haven't helped St. John's immensely in terms of support, because they certainly have, but why you feel it's a slap in the face that you can't hang out with a bunch of young people who have a stronger connection with the school than you do is beyond me. If you guys are really that passionate, I expect to see lots of older alumni at MSG supporting this team helping to give better home court advantage.
Good to know your generation has already learned to play the victim card. Ever heard of the phrase pull yourself up by your own bootstraps. Put in some effort-you may be able to retire some day!

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
johnnie11'
I am starting to think that is your age and not your year of graduation!

This event is not, and never has been,  advertised as a "pep rally". Pep rallies are held before big games! The "Tip-Off" replaced Midnight Madness as a celebration of the start of basketball practice and the introduction of the team to its fans, young and old.

Tickets are available free to any Tom, Dick or Harry that shows up at the ticket window. I agree that alumni, whether they graduated in 2011 or 1981, should get on line like everyone else. Obviously since the on-campus students live there, they get the first freebies at 2pm. But I get my tickets at 6pm and have no problem getting in with the younger fans. What is sad is that for many students this will be the one and only time they enter CA because it is free!

well put...
i think johnnie is still dealing with toilet training issues.
i root for the redmen just as i root for the giants...rangers...knicks...etc.
rooting is the american way.

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »
To those who say it's not a pep rally, you're just wrong. That's the most accurate way to describe it. What is in a pep rally in high school? Your sports teams get introduced, there is music and hype people, people cheer loudly, and it's meant to increase school spirit and attendance at games. Tell me where it ISN'T a pep rally.

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 01:38:40 AM »
it IS a pep rally.  nothing says you have to be under 18 to attend pep rallies.

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 03:55:43 AM »
Mid-life crisis?

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 05:15:10 AM »
problems dealing with puberty?

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »
I'm not saying the students haven't been lackluster recently, they have.  I'm just saying the attitude from the older fans is wrong because you guys have been just as putrid as the students.
I don't think the turnout from any alumni or fans on this board has been putrid.  This board has the hard core fans/alumni who supported the team no matter the season.  Smaller school populations have a tougher time filling up a 19,000 seat arena, even in NYC.  Even GTown has had trouble filling up Verizon center for its big games throughout the years. 

pmg911

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
@STJ11Redmen - how much money have you personally spent supporting this program..? Anyone who supported the program by buying season tickets or donating to the Red/Whiote club during the Norm Roberts Error should be given a little special treatment.

Some of us have spent thousands of dollars and some are getting treated no differently then some Freshman who has yet to ever attended a game at St. John's or MSG. If you think big time programs don't cateer to both their season tickets holders and boosters for event like Midnight Madness, you are wrong.

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
@STJ11Redmen - how much money have you personally spent supporting this program..? Anyone who supported the program by buying season tickets or donating to the Red/Whiote club during the Norm Roberts Error should be given a little special treatment.

Some of us have spent thousands of dollars and some are getting treated no differently then some Freshman who has yet to ever attended a game at St. John's or MSG. If you think big time programs don't cateer to both their season tickets holders and boosters for event like Midnight Madness, you are wrong.
The Terps give out the same reserved seats for their season ticket holders, so you are absolutely correct.  Respect must be given to the loyal fans who are there through thick and thin. 

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
problems dealing with puberty?

Good one........  I guess the present students made a collection to pay for the new coaching staf.  Surely, older alumni such as Mr. Rippoli and ohers had nothing to do with it.  There is one positive to take from Johnnie11 posts, they must be selling a better brand, with a higher alcohol level, of beer on campus these days. ;D

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
Funny how all y'all is turnin on y'selves.
What a bunch of maroons - Bugs
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »

Choz, how much money have you donated to the University? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess nothing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:56:26 AM by Poison »

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »

LOL i was just about to say, we haven't even had our first game yet and we've already had the first student vs fan/alumni argument that has been so badly beaten to death over the past several years.

For the record, I understand both sides of the argument. I'm friends with STJ11Redmen and it's not fair to accuse him of being one of the bandwagon students because he never stopped supporting this program. It's also not fair to even really complain about the bandwagon fans (students or not) because at this point we're not in any position to turn away and alienate any fan. We all know that as a whole both the student and fan/alumni support was lacking over the past several years so it's silly for one side to keep blaming the other.

That being said, I don't necessarily think this is just an event for students. It's important to get students out to this to create a fun atmosphere and hopefully get the first timers to enjoy themselves and want to come back, but his is officially the start of the basketball season and frankly I'd love to see a whole bunch of fans/alumni there because for them to trek out to Queens for basically a glorified pep rally that means people care again. I also agree with the person that said there's gonna be a whole bunch of students who are going to this because it's free and because of the music, and they'll never be seen at CA again, and I'd MUCH rather have those tickets go to someone who actually knows something about the team and is gonna cheer them on. I think what they probably should have done to make it fair for everyone is give the season ticket holders a general admission ticket to the event, however still make it a first come first served basis, so that this way the season ticket holders who don't show up aren't holding a ticket from someone who actually wanted to go.

Bottom line is this program is finally heading in the right direction so hopefully this is the last time we have this senseless argument because we all support the same team.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:55:09 AM by boooooooooothe »

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2011, 12:48:17 PM »
we also have to remember that this is a major recruiting event.  so i would personally prefer to see the arena packed with young, feisty, students than a bunch of alumni who are going to sit on their seats.  midnight madness is a student event.  similar to other events throughout the year that we have no clue about. 

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

To answer your first question I spend around 500 bucks per year in transportation to games, season tickets, Big East Tourney Tickets, tickets to away games (I went to Nova, Fordham and Seton Hall last year), merchandise, etc. and did the same during my 2 years as a student during the Roberts years. I was also ready to drop 300 more to go to Denver but couldn't due to a family emergency.  I also went to 6-8 games a year with my dad (who is an alum) for my entire childhood before coming here.  For a student with no job who has to take out 25 grand in student loans every year I would say that is more than my share.  There are a lot of students who are hardcore fans and devote a lot of time, effort and money into the program. 

As for your second point, we don't have enough room in CA to give priority access to season ticket holders.  I don't know the exact numbers but let's assume we have 3000 non-student season tickets.  Half of lower bowl is reserved for recruits/families of the players.  The other half is drawn in because they put a stage there.  So that eliminates about 1000 seats.  Now you are down to 4600 seats in the arena.  There are also about 800 student season ticket holders who you have to also give priority to.  That brings it down to 3800.  Subtract the non-student season ticket holders and then there are only 800 seats left in the arena for regular students/regular fans.  There is simply not enough room in CA to please everyone.  Get in line like everyone else.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:09:59 PM by STJ11Redmen »

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
you could bring in eminem, jay-z, beyonce and paul mccartney and you won't fill the remaining 800 seats.  that's life at st john's.  there is no line.

Poison

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
you could bring in eminem, jay-z, beyonce and paul mccartney and you won't fill the remaining 800 seats.  that's life at st john's.  there is no line.

You could bring in Paul McCartney and the students wouldn't know who that is.