St. John's vs. St. Mary's, MD - Post Game Discussion

• 51 replies
St. John's vs. St. Mary's, MD - Post Game Discussion
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
Don't forget to join the game chat.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:34:23 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: St. John's vs. St. Mary's, MD - Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
whats going on?

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
Where's the game chat

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »
Waiting for our guys to turn it on.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Where's the game chat

Look at the menu at the top iof the forum...chat is all the way to the right or click here...

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/chat/index.php

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
Steve Lavin hasn't returned from the prostate cancer surgery he had last month but to hear the St. John's staff and players, it seems almost like the Red Storm head coach has been at every practice.

"It's like he's here but he's not," guard Phil Greene said. "He has ways of letting us know what he expects and what he wants from our team."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/steve-lavin-st-john-s-prostate-cancer-recovery-red-storm-coach-s-presence-felt-article-1.970420#ixzz1cVJwDdjf

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:45:19 PM »
When St. John’s takes the floor tonight at Carnesecca Arena against Division III St. Mary’s of Maryland for its final tuneup before the start of the regular season, none of the Red Storm regulars will be getting a night off.
That’s because if they did, there would be no one left to take their place.
After three members of Steve Lavin’s initial stellar recruiting class -- Amir Garrett, Norvel Pelle and JaKarr Sampson -- were unable to qualify for the fall semester, St. John’s is entering the season with eight scholarship players, plus a seven-man rotation of junior guard Malik Stith and six first-year players.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_psyched_for_final_tuneup_i4cSEVsNnpwIEY0JJajtCI#ixzz1cVK5eKV7

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »
Anyone else have problems with ESPN3, each time the game went to a commercial break it did not return to the game.  Was a real pain as it took me about  4 minnutes to get the game back and it was time for a new commercial

Re: St. John's vs. St. Mary's, MD - Post Game Discussion
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »
I didn't have any problems with ESPN3.

It looks like our team has some work to do...

DFF6

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
What happened in the game? What was the score?

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »
i think it was 77-70.  close game throughout except for the last three mins.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
77 70

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
77-70.  We were down most of the 2nd half.  Came to life with abt 5 mins left. 

We cant make free throws.  Prob went 11-28 or somewhere around there from the line. 

Harkless led with abt 20 pts, Pointer set the tone at the end of the game on D. 

St.  Mary's is well coached.

Edit: way off on FT #'s it was 22-42 thanks to Moe at the end of the game. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:20:51 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
Just got back from the game.  Much closer than it should have been but they were a disciplined basketball team, didn't miss any free throws and made open shots.  All of which we did not do.  I will say this though, I am glad this happened because it got our guys a chance to play with each other while facing adversity and come from behind so this should help us in the long run. 

DFF6

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »
Thanks for the updates and analysis.  Looks like our guys will be shooting a lot of free throws in the next few days in practice.

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
We were up by 10 or 11 at some point in the first half but the lead was cut to 2 by the half.  Then they actually took a 6 point lead in the second half.  Luckily picked up the defensive intensity (thanks to Pointer) to pull out the win. 

Horrible foul shooting...and bad shooting night in general.  We came out flat.  The zone defense does not look good.   IMO we need to be switching to Man to Man occasionally.  I felt the same way last year.  Teams seem to get comfortable with the zone when we play it all game.

At one point we were 5-16 from the line...everyone chipped in to that

This team needs to shoot well to have a chance this year.  The defense and rebounding will not win us many games.  William & Mary is going to be a tough one. 

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
They will shoot it better from the outside.  I worry about the FT shooting and the lack of depth.

BTW-Nice to see both Amir and Norvel tweeting about the game.

SJUFAN

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
They will shoot it better from the outside.  I worry about the FT shooting and the lack of depth.

What were they saying?

Moose

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »

What were they saying?

We can shoot FT's better than them?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
Just got back from the game myself.... and here (unlike some other posters) is a REALISTIC commentary on tonites action.

1. FOUL SHOOTING = HORRENDOUS.......... high school teams shoot better from the free throw line.

2. Interior defense...... NON EXISTENT.... what will we do against the big boys.

3.  Outside shooting..... pitiful at best......... The so called advertised great shooters on this team couldn't put the ball in the ocean, unlike our D III opponents.

4. Nuri Lindsey drives to the basket constantly and throws up wild shots..... he needs to develop a pull up and shoot game as those drives will be swallowed up by the better teams....... no make that the average teams.

5.  For a great shooter, D Harrisons's shot is very flat.

6.  What defense??????????

7.  Dom Pointer reminds me of Mr. Artest in his game play, his hustle and defensive tenacity.  His play at the end turned the game around and avoid a major embarrassment. 

8,  No Moose..... Harkless' game in no way reminds anyone of Ron Artest's game.  To make such a ridiculous comment, you could not possibly have ever seen Ron play.

9 FINALLY.......... THE TEAM WE PLAYED TONITE WAS A D III TEAM..... WHICH TRANSLATES INTO "NO SCHOLLIE PLAYERS" AND THEY ALMOST BEAT US AT HOME.  While there is certainly hope to be optimistic about the level of talent we have brought in.......in reality.......... its gonna be a long year and unless NBA stands for NOTHING BUT ATTITUDE............ I don't see any of these kids going to the league in the forseeable future.

I see some real tough games for us with big point spreads with the level of talent and inexperience we presently have.  I hope I am wrong but I dont think so.

And one more thing.... for those who were in Never Never Land predicting a possible National Championship ala Yukon................... I can recommend a few rehab hospitals that have openings in the straight jacket ward.