St. John's vs. St. Mary's, MD - Post Game Discussion

• 51 replies

Moose

Re: St. John's vs. St. Mary's, MD - Post Game Discussion
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 10:51:27 PM »

8,  No Moose..... Harkless' game in no way reminds anyone of Ron Artest's game.  To make such a ridiculous comment, you could not possibly have ever seen Ron play.

I said he looks like HS/freshman Artest on the court.  Never said he plays like Artest.  Nice try though.

And the fact that other people echoed my sentiments but you called me out makes me scared of your infatuation with me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:52:41 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 10:59:45 PM »

8,  No Moose..... Harkless' game in no way reminds anyone of Ron Artest's game.  To make such a ridiculous comment, you could not possibly have ever seen Ron play.

I said he looks like HS/freshman Artest on the court.  Never said he plays like Artest.  Nice try though.

And the fact that other people echoed my sentiments but you called me out makes me scared of your infatuation with me.

Come on Moose, fess up.... you blew it this time.  Perhaps the young guys who dont know the difference between Michael Jordan and Kareem Abdul Jabar may agree with you cause they dont have a clue themselves but several posters I talked to at the game were laughing at your ridiculous statement. Even in terms of looks, Artest was shorted and stockier, while Harkless is long and lean.  There is absolutely no resemblence what so ever.

And why would I be infatuated with someone who makes such absurd analogies as you do? :o

Moose

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »

Come on Moose, fess up.... you blew it this time.  Perhaps the young guys who dont know the difference between Michael Jordan and Kareem Abdul Jabar may agree with you cause they dont have a clue themselves but several posters I talked to at the game were laughing at your ridiculous statement. Even in terms of looks, Artest was shorted and stockier, while Harkless is long and lean.  There is absolutely no resemblence what so ever.

And why would I be infatuated with someone who makes such absurd analogies as you do? :o

Your infatuated because you specifically called me out even though others made the same statement.  Would you like me to use bigger letters next time? 

The people you talked to at the game I don't really care what their thoughts are because frankly they are sitting with you and thats a case in point.

Here is a picture of Artest.  Not sure what year its from but he's not exactly the tank you making him out to be.  Wide shoulder frame, tall posture, long arms.  Hence the 'looks' like Moe part. 

http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1999_draft/Players/artest.html

But you are the biggest and best STJ fan out there and your right and I'm wrong.  Carry on!

Moose

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »
Box score fun.

52% from the line.  Outside of Moe (10-12) and Harrison (3-4) it was brutal.  Also a tale of 2 games we only had 9 assists.  Mary's had more 3's than 2 pointers.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »

Your infatuated because you specifically called me out even though others made the same statement.  Would you like me to use bigger letters next time? 

The people you talked to at the game I don't really care what their thoughts are because frankly they are sitting with you and thats a case in point.

Here is a picture of Artest.  Not sure what year its from but he's not exactly the tank you making him out to be.  Wide shoulder frame, tall posture, long arms.  Hence the 'looks' like Moe part. 

But you are the biggest and best STJ fan out there and your right and I'm wrong.  Carry on!

Thanks, I am glad you finally see the light.  In terms of the people I sit with,  I like to be around those who have a true understanding of the game which franlky would exclude yourself. ;D  In terms of the picture... you need your eye sight checked.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 12:20:17 AM »
I think the main thing I learned from last year is that I should wait until the season develops until we judge the team. I was ready to write the team off last year after the Fordham game and they proved me wrong by turning in a fantastic season. Obviously tonight's result and effort doesn't inspire a ton of confidence but this is a team that is just getting used to each other and its staff. There are certainly reasons for concern. Nuri and GG will probably be at the line more than anyone else and their form and results look pretty terrible. Hopefully by the time January/February rolls around they will be ready to roll.

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »

Moose to say you don't care about what people at the game had to say-don't go all Mike Francessa on us. :)

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 12:48:47 AM »
Box score fun.

52% from the line.  Outside of Moe (10-12) and Harrison (3-4) it was brutal.  Also a tale of 2 games we only had 9 assists.  Mary's had more 3's than 2 pointers.

Nuri is shooting 22% from the line through two games and is averaging 4.5 to's. 

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 12:51:48 AM »
Box score fun.

Yet according to some posters on St J's boards NBA scouts are drooling. ???

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 01:18:46 AM »
Just got back from the game myself.... and here (unlike some other posters) is a REALISTIC commentary on tonites action.

1. FOUL SHOOTING = HORRENDOUS.......... high school teams shoot better from the free throw line.

2. Interior defense...... NON EXISTENT.... what will we do against the big boys.

3.  Outside shooting..... pitiful at best......... The so called advertised great shooters on this team couldn't put the ball in the ocean, unlike our D III opponents.

4. Nuri Lindsey drives to the basket constantly and throws up wild shots..... he needs to develop a pull up and shoot game as those drives will be swallowed up by the better teams....... no make that the average teams.

5.  For a great shooter, D Harrisons's shot is very flat.

6.  What defense??????????

7.  Dom Pointer reminds me of Mr. Artest in his game play, his hustle and defensive tenacity.  His play at the end turned the game around and avoid a major embarrassment. 

9 FINALLY.......... THE TEAM WE PLAYED TONITE WAS A D III TEAM..... WHICH TRANSLATES INTO "NO SCHOLLIE PLAYERS" AND THEY ALMOST BEAT US AT HOME.  While there is certainly hope to be optimistic about the level of talent we have brought in.......in reality.......... its gonna be a long year and unless NBA stands for NOTHING BUT ATTITUDE............ I don't see any of these kids going to the league in the forseeable future.

I see some real tough games for us with big point spreads with the level of talent and inexperience we presently have.  I hope I am wrong but I dont think so.

And one more thing.... for those who were in Never Never Land predicting a possible National Championship ala Yukon................... I can recommend a few rehab hospitals that have openings in the straight jacket ward.
[/quote

So overall were you impressed or pleased.

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 01:22:14 AM »
Box score fun.

I'd still give him more of a chance.  He was out of bball for a while and only has one year of low level college coaching last season at Redlands.  When watching him, his size, length and physical talent are obvious.  He needs to put a lot of work in, but I think he'll improve a lot when he settles down a bit.  These kids will all look different after mid-season.  I do love Nuri's ability to get to the hoop though and he's got a nice handle at speed.  He needs to work on taking care of the ball when passing and on his shooting a bit.  Give him time before judging.  Same with the rat of thhe issues like defense and playing as a team.  This is a very young team and not a deep one.  This is their first foray both as a team and in D1.  Remember, that a very talented Zona team lost to a D2 school e other day.  We pulled this one out, but must get better.  I like what I see out of a lot of these kids though.  Gotta support them, as it will take a good amount of time til they get better...

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 04:19:57 AM »
First post here, just wanted to post my thoughts (well its quite lengthy).
Here is my take from this game:

Offensively: The team looks out of sync when running through the sets. One problem that has bothered me ever since Lavin came in was that the players do not cut with authority to the basket. In the Princeton-style offense, a solid cut to the basket and a good pass can open up possibilities. With these players not cutting hard it doesn't keep the defense honest and it takes away possible baskets. The outside shooting from the wings/guards, especially D'Angelo Harrison who was just not there today. I'm hoping this isn't a trend. After a great game vs. CW Post, I was a little disappointed in Phil Greene. 1-6 isn't going to cut it. Finishing today was awful. Even with the defense collapsing, players made poor decisions to put up shots that were sure to be blocked. Malik Stith was unimpressive in this area, but it was the whole team. We tried to make tough contested lay-up attemps. With the outside shot not falling, it definately made it harder on the offense to get going inside. 17 offensive rebounds netting only 18 2nd chance points is not going to cut it. Turnovers were terrible today as well. A -4 assist-turnover margin is unacceptable. Finally, free throws. In the second half St. Mary's was almost content with fouling since it was a guarentee we'd miss at least one. It looked like these players haven't shot free throws before. I'm sorry, but 52% is awful, no matter what level you're playing at...and it only looks that good because Mo Harkless and D'Angelo Harrison went 13-16 combined.

Defensively: Same story as last year, team plays zone that gets beat on ball reversal and threes. The players are really aggressive on D, they fell for a lot of pump fakes and as a result gave up a lot of open perimeter looks, exactly what St. Mary's seemed to be looking to take advantage of. The full court press looked solid. On a lot of possessions it took St. Mary's between 8-9 seconds to get across, and even got called once for 10-seconds. This is where the team should accel this year with all the athleticism and speed. In the half court set, they seemed lazy and a lot of times left a big open right at the block (unnoticed though by St. Mary's). In my opinion, I feel their athletic advantage is nullified by the zone. Man-to-man I think will work better for a squad that is more athletic than last years. I mean I understand the zone is meant to force perimeter shots, but against a team like St. Mary's that can deftly shoot and is looking for it you got to change things up. St. Mary's also wasn't setting many screens; only a few on the wing to open up a shooter. Positives included the defense having active hands, garnering 11 steals, and late in the game the squad picked it up in the paint (blocked dunk late in game by God's Gift Achiuwa was the pinnacle highlight). In the end though, it comes down to passion and a determination to play solid defense and overall, it doesn't matter what defense you play; if you lack tenacity and intensity, you will get exploited.

Overall: The team was sluggish, didn't look to play with much intensity. They were lazy and thought they were going to run over this team. But really I must give a ton of credit to the St. Mary's squad and head coach Chris Harney. They seemed to have game-planned for this like any other game. This team was disciplined in its offensive sets. It wore down a young, inexperienced, and at times impatient squad by running down the shot clock and making some nice perimeter shots. On defense, they had executed a perfect plan. Every time any one drove to the basket or was in the paint, the defense collapsed into the paint. This forced an either awful shot (layup blocks/poor shots) or a kick-out. Well with the way we were shooting outside, its almost as if we lost confidence in the outside shot and forced everything inside and we weren't getting consistent baskets inside. You could tell as the game wore on the players were feeling the pressure to start pummeling this 'Division 3' squad. Rushed shots, poor selection, poor perimeter D...I think it was a combination of St. John's not having a good night and St. Mary's executing a great game-plan to a T.
Positives: intensity at end of game, commitment to defense at end of game, active hands on defense, full-court press, rebound margin
Negatives: Lack of motivation for most of game, poor outside shooting, poor decision making at times, buying too many shot fakes, inability to finish inside 5 feet, free throw shooting, D'Angelo's stupid technical in the second half

Youth and inexperience reared its ugly head, but this experience should put things in perspective for this squad. They should only improve from this and I expect a solid performance next Monday vs. William and Mary. Stats were deceptive, but it goes both ways. We outrebounded them by 14, but watching the game it certainly did not feel that way. We shot a decent percentage, but we also missed a lot of easy looks. Troubling is we made only 4 FG outside the paint the whole game, 1 three and 3 twos.

Post how you feel about this assessment. I am just trying to be honest;This is just a game you look at the film once, and move on. We'll have better days and there will be low days, the team has just got to work hard and keep their heads up. I am not upset by the performance...sure a little disappointed, but with such an inexprienced squad that lacks depth and hasn't really practiced 5-on-5 or played together for too long, this is just one step towards the future success. I think this may be one of the best experiences these players could have gone through.

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
Excellent assessment, stjredman1.  St. Mary's is a well coached team and they executed their gameplan very well. 

Another poster sid there was no interior defense.  That is not true.  We got killed on the perimeter by what appears to be a good outside shooting team.  They never really tried to attack us inside.  They passed the ball well and found the open man.  We didn't rotate quickly enough to challenge many of their shots.  Unfortunately, even many of the contested 3's, with the shot clock running down, seemed to go in.

A work in progress.  But I like the fact that they were able to turn up the defense at the end.

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 12:12:07 PM »
I think the main thing I learned from last year is that I should wait until the season develops until we judge the team. I was ready to write the team off last year after the Fordham game and they proved me wrong by turning in a fantastic season. Obviously tonight's result and effort doesn't inspire a ton of confidence but this is a team that is just getting used to each other and its staff. There are certainly reasons for concern. Nuri and GG will probably be at the line more than anyone else and their form and results look pretty terrible. Hopefully by the time January/February rolls around they will be ready to roll.

Agree completely.  Besides the St. Bonnies and Fordham games, there were a ton of games early on were the team was lost.  The D-1 St. Mary's game, no one knew what to do on offense.  Polee shot the ball 16 times in that game and the zone was picked apart.  Ball State game went to overtime, down double digits at halftime to a terrible Arizona State team.  Davidson was a close game down to the end.   

It's going to take time to implement the new system.  Add that to the fact that these guys havent played together, havent experienced what D-1 bball is like and at times havent had a full roster to practice 5-5 and it's likely to  take even longer. 

On top of that, we are small and have little depth.  These were issues that were not at the top of the concern list last year.  Talent is the best attribute a team can have but there are so many other things that contribute to winning / losing bball games. 

IT will take time, and as cliche as it may sound the primary focus should be getting better everyday, staying positive, defining roles and getting experience and chemistry.  Oh and you can specifically throw in free throw shooting there too!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:22:34 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
Wow, the comments on here are all over the place. 

Through 2 games, we saw an offensive performance with amazing chemistry and we've seen one with very subpar chemistry and coming out flat.  Where does this team stand offensively?? Somewhere between these first 2 games.  The flow wasn't there last night and we didn't get into a nice uptempo offensive rhythm until late in the 2nd half.

The good news: our discipline defensively definitely got better. We took a lot less swipes for the ball in the backcourt than last week and we were much more solid in our zone defensively.  Dom Pointer's energy really lifted us last night.  The other good news is that despite a very frustrating game, the team really pulled together in the final 4 minutes and pulled out a close game.  That type of experience can't be mimicked in practice, and that is good news.

Also, while Harkless hasn't put up 30 or 35 in either of these exhibition games, I think we can see why and how he'll likely be our best player: his consistency.  You will be able to count of him for 12-20 pts and 8-12 boards a night.  This is how we was on the prep level and I really think his consistency on this level will be what makes him our best player.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 03:37:04 PM »
First post here, just wanted to post my thoughts (well its quite lengthy).
Here is my take from this game:

Offensively: The team looks out of sync when running through the sets. One problem that has bothered me ever since Lavin came in was that the players do not cut with authority to the basket. In the Princeton-style offense, a solid cut to the basket and a good pass can open up possibilities. With these players not cutting hard it doesn't keep the defense honest and it takes away possible baskets. The outside shooting from the wings/guards, especially D'Angelo Harrison who was just not there today. I'm hoping this isn't a trend. After a great game vs. CW Post, I was a little disappointed in Phil Greene. 1-6 isn't going to cut it. Finishing today was awful. Even with the defense collapsing, players made poor decisions to put up shots that were sure to be blocked. Malik Stith was unimpressive in this area, but it was the whole team. We tried to make tough contested lay-up attemps. With the outside shot not falling, it definately made it harder on the offense to get going inside. 17 offensive rebounds netting only 18 2nd chance points is not going to cut it. Turnovers were terrible today as well. A -4 assist-turnover margin is unacceptable. Finally, free throws. In the second half St. Mary's was almost content with fouling since it was a guarentee we'd miss at least one. It looked like these players haven't shot free throws before. I'm sorry, but 52% is awful, no matter what level you're playing at...and it only looks that good because Mo Harkless and D'Angelo Harrison went 13-16 combined.

Defensively: Same story as last year, team plays zone that gets beat on ball reversal and threes. The players are really aggressive on D, they fell for a lot of pump fakes and as a result gave up a lot of open perimeter looks, exactly what St. Mary's seemed to be looking to take advantage of. The full court press looked solid. On a lot of possessions it took St. Mary's between 8-9 seconds to get across, and even got called once for 10-seconds. This is where the team should accel this year with all the athleticism and speed. In the half court set, they seemed lazy and a lot of times left a big open right at the block (unnoticed though by St. Mary's). In my opinion, I feel their athletic advantage is nullified by the zone. Man-to-man I think will work better for a squad that is more athletic than last years. I mean I understand the zone is meant to force perimeter shots, but against a team like St. Mary's that can deftly shoot and is looking for it you got to change things up. St. Mary's also wasn't setting many screens; only a few on the wing to open up a shooter. Positives included the defense having active hands, garnering 11 steals, and late in the game the squad picked it up in the paint (blocked dunk late in game by God's Gift Achiuwa was the pinnacle highlight). In the end though, it comes down to passion and a determination to play solid defense and overall, it doesn't matter what defense you play; if you lack tenacity and intensity, you will get exploited.

Overall: The team was sluggish, didn't look to play with much intensity. They were lazy and thought they were going to run over this team. But really I must give a ton of credit to the St. Mary's squad and head coach Chris Harney. They seemed to have game-planned for this like any other game. This team was disciplined in its offensive sets. It wore down a young, inexperienced, and at times impatient squad by running down the shot clock and making some nice perimeter shots. On defense, they had executed a perfect plan. Every time any one drove to the basket or was in the paint, the defense collapsed into the paint. This forced an either awful shot (layup blocks/poor shots) or a kick-out. Well with the way we were shooting outside, its almost as if we lost confidence in the outside shot and forced everything inside and we weren't getting consistent baskets inside. You could tell as the game wore on the players were feeling the pressure to start pummeling this 'Division 3' squad. Rushed shots, poor selection, poor perimeter D...I think it was a combination of St. John's not having a good night and St. Mary's executing a great game-plan to a T.
Positives: intensity at end of game, commitment to defense at end of game, active hands on defense, full-court press, rebound margin
Negatives: Lack of motivation for most of game, poor outside shooting, poor decision making at times, buying too many shot fakes, inability to finish inside 5 feet, free throw shooting, D'Angelo's stupid technical in the second half

Youth and inexperience reared its ugly head, but this experience should put things in perspective for this squad. They should only improve from this and I expect a solid performance next Monday vs. William and Mary. Stats were deceptive, but it goes both ways. We outrebounded them by 14, but watching the game it certainly did not feel that way. We shot a decent percentage, but we also missed a lot of easy looks. Troubling is we made only 4 FG outside the paint the whole game, 1 three and 3 twos.

Post how you feel about this assessment. I am just trying to be honest;This is just a game you look at the film once, and move on. We'll have better days and there will be low days, the team has just got to work hard and keep their heads up. I am not upset by the performance...sure a little disappointed, but with such an inexprienced squad that lacks depth and hasn't really practiced 5-on-5 or played together for too long, this is just one step towards the future success. I think this may be one of the best experiences these players could have gone through.

Very good assessment of the team's performance.  I just dont agree with the man to man idea.  To play man to man takes much energy and DEPTH, we are short on the depth side this year.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »
I hear that, you can't play man to man with 7 guys. It's time to get the walk ons involved. There really isn't a choice here. We have another 6'8 player, and he should be out there.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
They will shoot it better from the outside.  I worry about the FT shooting and the lack of depth.

Just out of curiosity what are you basing that on? I would not take much stock in two exhibition games but I think outside shooting is  going to have to be added to the rebounding, depth, inexperience worries.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:55:50 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
Yeah I see what you guys mean on lack of depth/bodies...I just feel like they need to have that ability to change it up, too one-dimensional and once you find the soft spots, your done.

How do you guys feel about the walk-ons not getting minutes last night? I know it was close throughout but I feel that these scrimmages were the only chance for them to get out there and show something. Only 2 were available for CW Post, and Gerard Rivers got a basket...but 2 minutes playing time in two games that don't count in the W-L...maybe its just me, but I feel like we need to see what these walk-ons have the ability to do now since there isn't much of any chance later in the season.

Check out my new blog, so far its basically what I posted here, but its another outlet for me to write on:
http://wearestjohns.wordpress.com

Moose

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
Hey realfan,

I guess the coaching staff is as dumb as me and not as smart as you and your seat buddies.

https://twitter.com/#!/DanielJMartin_/status/132476737027186688

Moe Harkless on Ron Artest comparisons: "Sometimes the coaches joke around in practice and call me 'Young Ron'" #stjbb