St. John's gets votes in Coaches Poll

• 22 replies

kjd01067

St. John's gets votes in Coaches Poll
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

We received 8 votes which puts us at #40 in the country.  I think this is a little overly optimistic but I guess we will see Thursday night.

Re: St. John's gets votes in Coaches Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
We had 11 votes last week.  I'm not sure how anyone could rank us at all yet, but let's win a pair this week and see where we end up.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
If we beat two ranked teams, we'll be ranked. I'd be thrilled if we made it to the championship game.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
I'm not overly impressed by zona at all but i think they will be tough for us. could happen though. 1-1 would be good for us

Moose

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
I'm not overly impressed by zona at all but i think they will be tough for us. could happen though. 1-1 would be good for us

Can't ask for more than 1-1.  I think we will go 1-1 I just don't know which game we win.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »

We received 8 votes which puts us at #40 in the country.  I think this is a little overly optimistic but I guess we will see Thursday night.

Overly optimistic?  thats a complete joke...... this team struggled with a D III team, did you forget?  We have otential but we are not a good team yet. 

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »
I think we will lose two. The second game might be close.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »

Overly optimistic?  thats a complete joke...... this team struggled with a D III team, did you forget?  We have otential but we are not a good team yet.

Syracuse lost to LeMoyne College a couple seasons ago, and they ended up going 30-5, so what does that mean that we struggled against a team in an EXHIBITION? I don't think we deserve to be mentioned in the top 25 yet, but why do you have to be so pessimistic?

Wods317

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
I'm not saying that we will beat Zona but having seen them play a couple times and seeing the scores of the first few games I don't think we should be so quick to call this game a loss. These guys will be pumped to play in the Garden and I think we have a decent shot. Zona is deeper and better overall but the edge isn't as much as people believe.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
One game at a time, but I'm thinking positive.  2-0 and we win the coaches vs cancer.  We're getting better every game and our kids will be pumped.  We have 2 important things right now.  We have a big floor general PG who is performing at a high level and a big man that is playing as well as any we've ever had.  We have some things to work on, but those two factors plus the other young guns we have put us in decent position to win the next 2 in OUR house.  Early season is the best time to grab these types of games against teams that are spreading their PT over 10+ guys.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:18:15 PM »
watched the detroit ND game tonight. Det is going to be a very tough game esp there. and if they get their big back that was suspended tonight it will be even tougher. they are athletic and quick

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 12:00:08 AM »
To get votes for top 25 at this point voters must think Hardy and Brownlee are off to good starts. :)

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:45:07 AM »
this just reinforces the fact that the voters really dont know whats going on. getting votes after beating arizona, is one thing, but right now....after who we've played, is premature.

Tha Kid

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:06:16 AM »
The voters can't win.  When they don't recognize us quickly enough, we bash them.  When they recognize us prematurely, we bash them. 

If we were from ny, ppl would say we were being whiny and obnoxious...oh wait...

Why complain?  Its nice confidence boost for the kids and let's see how they do in c v c.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
The voters can't win.  When they don't recognize us quickly enough, we bash them.  When they recognize us prematurely, we bash them. 

If we were from ny, ppl would say we were being whiny and obnoxious...oh wait...

Why complain?  Its nice confidence boost for the kids and let's see how they do in c v c.

+1

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »

I dont think anyone was really complaining. Usually getting votes or being ranked proves that people around the country recognize how good the team is. Theyre just saying that its way too early and getting votes now is premature and doesnt prove in the slightest how good this team is or will be.

Its the same as the last couple of years when people would start posts and be so excited because St Johns was near the top in RPI after a week or two. Granted last year they played real well down the stretch and ended up having a good season, but there was no way of knowing that based on rankings after the first week of the season.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
I don't want votes until we're playing some real good basketball, beating some good teams and can defend our reputation.  To be a paper tiger isn't the goal here.  Would rather be under the radar til mid or late season.

ras

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
This early in the season the rankings are little more than an educated guess. It is the rankings at the end of the season that count.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:14 PM »

+1

Moose

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 11:21:18 PM »

+1

Nice to see you paying attention to me  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:34:24 PM by Moose »