Big Men

• 42 replies

uwsfan

Re: Big Men
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »
We do not need every Big to be a superstar, but we need depth. I wouldnt mind seeing a good 3 star big,rather then going after all 4 stars. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Agree. Would be nice if Gathers and/or Sampson recommit. But if not, a solid 3 star big with good upside & a top juco big to go along with the guys we have now would put us in good position next yr to be a top 20 team.

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:31 AM »
We do not need every Big to be a superstar, but we need depth. I wouldnt mind seeing a good 3 star big,rather then going after all 4 stars. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Agree. Would be nice if Gathers and/or Sampson recommit. But if not, a solid 3 star big with good upside & a top juco big to go along with the guys we have now would put us in good position next yr to be a top 20 team.

Top 20 teams usually have better than a 3 star big.

sju89tr

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »
There are plenty of players out there who have not signed yet. We just need to show normalcy again and we will get 3 more recruits for next year. Hopefully it is Gathers, Sampson, and Obekpa. Then we will still have at least 3 for 2013 where our staff is doing a good job. 

ras

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
What I am  saying is out of the 2 bigs If we got 1 4star and one 3 star recruit we will be in good shape. We dont want to be in a position like we are in this year forcing us to play all zone and getting an ulcer after we get a foul. Next year we can really excel, but we need sufficient depth. Of course I would love to see Gathers and Chris O.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
There are plenty of players out there who have not signed yet. We just need to show normalcy again and we will get 3 more recruits for next year. Hopefully it is Gathers, Sampson, and Obekpa. Then we will still have at least 3 for 2013 where our staff is doing a good job. 

Assuming Garret here next month,we still need minimum FOUR RECRUITS SIGNED in the spring !!

2013 we have openings from GG & Stith graduating, besides any unused carryover
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:33:21 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

sju89tr

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »

Assuming Garret here next month,we still need minimum FOUR RECRUITS SIGNED in the spring !!

It is also highly doubtful that Nuri plays 3 years for us

With Garrett we would have 8 ships this year and along with Wood you need 3 more players and that would be 12 and likely 4 more ships for the 2013 class. 

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 01:25:56 AM »

With Garrett we would have 8 ships this year and along with Wood you need 3 more players and that would be 12 and likely 4 more ships for the 2013 class.
Expecting Nuri to transfer before playing 3 years for us? He is tremendous basketball player except he has no shot. All this NBA talk is premature until he develops a half-way decent jump shot.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »

Expecting Nuri to transfer before playing 3 years for us? He is tremendous basketball player except he has no shot. All this NBA talk is premature until he develops a half-way decent jump shot.

AND better defense.  He's not a freak athlete like many of the players he's compared to on this site.  He's also not a young kid.  If he wants to go to the NBA hell be here for three years...which makes me very happy.

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »

Actually, teams like Uconn have made a living on lesser known bigs.  Voskuhl, Boone, Armstrong, Okafor, Thabeet etc  it's not true that top 20 teams are doing so all the time with 5 star big guys.

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »

Actually, teams like Uconn have made a living on lesser known bigs.  Voskuhl, Boone, Armstrong, Okafor, Thabeet etc  it's not true that top 20 teams are doing so all the time with 5 star big guys.

Not true at all... Gay, Villanueva, Robinson, and Oriachi were all 5 star rated players. Thabeet was a 4 and there are others as well who I dont recall.  The Big time programs all live off Big Time recruits.

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »

Not true at all... Gay, Villanueva, Robinson, and Oriachi were all 5 star rated players. Thabeet was a 4 and there are others as well who I dont recall.  The Big time programs all live off Big Time recruits.

Gay wasn't a big.  Gay was a swing player.  He was just long as heck.  There are several bigs who turned out to be quality players that weren't 4 and 5 stars.  Roy Hibbert was a 3-star guy and Ryan Gomes probably didn't have any stars (although, I think he was a 2-star). 

There are many instances where teams who succeed do not have 4 and 5 star bigs.  Of course, they are good to have.  No doubt about it.  Although,  it's not necessarily essential.  I bet the current teams in the top 25 are littered with guys who weren't 4 and 5 star bigs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:51:54 PM by mjdinkins »

jr49

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »

You coach to what you got. I don't think we had a 4 star at any position last year. Hardy played like one. GG in a tough spot this year. He has no big to help him. Any one of the Justins or Evans would be a big help to him. I hope he holds up. A couple of 3 star bigs would make this team a whole lot better.

NYCoffey

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
Its too bad we're not in the mix for Jarnell Stokes. He was denied a senior year of high school and my be eligible for 2nd semester. not a center but a 6'8" forward that would  of been a huge help. Ranked 18th on ESPN.

Moose

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
Its too bad we're not in the mix for Jarnell Stokes. He was denied a senior year of high school and my be eligible for 2nd semester. not a center but a 6'8" forward that would  of been a huge help. Ranked 18th on ESPN.

With us offering a lot of playing time I wouldnt be shocked if we made some overtures.
Remember who broke the Slice news

kg44

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »
  Personally, if we could get Gathers and Sampson back on board, I would be happy.   It's getting late in the game, but I have faith in Lavin and his staff.

ras

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »
A lot of people would be happy, but Lavin has to prepare for 1 or both are not coming, they are far from done deals. It is imperitive we get more bigs.

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »
Does Dele have any elgibility left if he went to grad school?  :D

MCNPA

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 07:22:07 AM »
Rivals has a link to article:  " STI has shot at PAC-12 star big man". I don't have a subscription.  Anybody know who the big man is?

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 07:30:06 AM »
Sidiki Johnson,  problem player at best

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 08:16:41 AM »
Sidiki Johnson,  problem player at best

Not necessarily.  We don't know his issue with the coach/team.  I have no problem with Sidiki adding depth to our roster as long as lavin and Co. thought hed be a good fit.  He'd be eligible in December next season at a position we desperately need depth at.  If he came here though, he'd need to know that there are no guarantees for PT either.  If we land Gathers and/ or Jakarr, Sidiki would possibly work with this guys and possibly behind them. 

He's not in the mega athlete mold that we like but I wouldn't turn our noses at a top 100 big man transfer if we're in definite need.  He has some skills.  I think he might work quite well as a center in our system along with gods gift.  It would allow us to add both Gathers and Jakarr and not interfere with their PT.  I think Sidiki would find enough PT at the center spot here over next few years.  We're recruiting mostly PF types.  Sidiki could split time with gods gift next season, then Gift graduates so he'd only be competing at center with whatever freshman bigs we're recruiting for 2013.  We have a lot of ships to give and plenty of need for a big body like Sidiki, as long as he's not going to be a "head case". 

Fwiw, Lavin is good at relating to these types of kids.  Maybe it was just a bad fit under Miller?  Who knows?  Then again, he had problems in HS as well and was dismissed from Oak Hill.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:34:46 AM by MCNPA »