I think its close til about 8 mins remaining. 10 point loss for St Johns. 83-73

mkras99

Re: Re: Arizona - Game Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I think we lose badly - 15-20 points.

Arizona - Predictions
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
What do you guys think?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Arizona - Predictions
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
Az 85
STJ 78

I hope I'm wrong
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

boo3

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »
 Heartbreaker

Zona- 82

St. John's - 79

Harrison misses a flat, no arc three at the buzzer  ;)

Nick K

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »
I'm not sold on this Arizona team. I think both teams are going to struggle and I like our coaching staff better. I think we make the better adjustments at halftime.

St. John's - 74
Zona        - 69

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »
St. Johns wins 78-76...three pointer by Harrison for the win.

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
SJU wins by 8.  Reasons?

1). AZ has no answer for GG, our 6'8" 245lb center who can run like a guard and is shooting over 90% from the stripe.  Their true bigs are slow.  Chol is good but raw on offense.  their best big might be Perry at 6'7" who GG can handle.

2). For all Nuri's shooting shortcomings in his young career, not many can stop this big PG from getting to the rim.  He can "quietly" triple-double which speaks to how good he can be. 

3). We will frustrate them with our zone and pressing schemes down the stretch.  Az has a chance to hurt us early.  Problem is that they'll have to be ready for Dunlap introducing about 4 defenses he didn't use in the first half.  Not easy to do.

4)We have the athleticism to push them all game and while we have a thin bench, then won't tire us out contrary to what some might think.

5). Pointer is a defensive x-factor and whomever we chose to put him on will be pressured constantly.

6)  This is our house!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:25:27 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
78-68 St. Johns

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
SJU wins by 8.  Reasons?

1). AZ has no answer for GG, our 6'8" 245lb center who can run like a guard and is shooting over 90% from the stripe.  Their true bigs are slow.  Cool is good but raw on offense.  their best big might be Perry at 6'7" who GG can handle.

2). For all Nuri's shooting shortcomings in his young career, not many can stop this big PG from getting to the rim.  He can "quietly" triple-double which speaks to how good he can be. 

3). We will frustrate them with our zone and pressing schemes down the stretch.  Az has a chance to hurt us early.  Problem is that they'll have to be ready for Dunlap introducing about 4 defenses he didn't use in the first half.  Not easy to do.

4)We have the athleticism to push them all game and while we have a thin bench, then won't tire us out contrary to what some might think.

5). Pointer is a defensive x-factor and whomever we chose to put him on will be pressured constantly.

6)  This is our house!

I, very rarely make predictions on games (I'm still not gonna predict the outcome), but I'll add #7 for you, MCN.  Arizona, similiar to Duke, will predominately play man-to-man defense.  It could very, well play into our hands.  Especially, for a guy like Lindsey and a struggling Greene.   

DFF6

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »
SJU wins by 8.  Reasons?

1). AZ has no answer for GG, our 6'8" 245lb center who can run like a guard and is shooting over 90% from the stripe.  Their true bigs are slow.  Cool is good but raw on offense.  their best big might be Perry at 6'7" who GG can handle.

6)  This is our house!

Nice job.  Agree with all of the above.

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »
SJU wins by 8.  Reasons?

6)  This is our house!

Nice job.  Agree with all of the above.

Hey, gotta have faith in these kids.  They have the swag.  The fans need to own up to.  We took on the tone at we could beat anybody last year and did.  No reason not to have the same mojo this year.  Can't accept what others project our "fate" to be this season.   Gotta go out and take it!   

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
The 1st game where our really really thin bench hurts.

Arizona drew 28 fouls against Ball State and 26 from Duquesne
On a 7 man rotation thats 4 per player !

They will drive to basket even more knowing our depth.

I'll be there tonight, but AZ 78 SJU 66
& GG & Moe both in foul trouble all night.

Dom might be very good @ "D", but he needs to rebound more.
He's averaging 2.7 in 24 min against lesser opponents.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:35:05 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

sju89tr

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:14 AM »
You guys are all haters, STJ 80 AZ 76. Nuri just goes crazy and scores 30 in his MSG debut  :laugh:

Moose

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »
Will the turmoil in AZ continue.  Seems to be some dissension with Turner, Chol and Sidiki not getting time.  Newsflash its only gonna get worse with the class coming in next year.

My prediction is we win.  What score?  I'm not that good ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »
We fall behind big, make a nice second half comeback that falls short becuase we can't hit free throws down the stretch.
Arizona 79 SJU 72

Moose

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
We fall behind big, make a nice second half comeback that falls short becuase we can't hit free throws down the stretch.
Arizona 79 SJU 72

We've always shot FT's better in the Garden.  Last year I remember posting on both boards about how big the discrepancy was :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
From arizona - 69
To eldorado   - 75

Freshmen pass first big fall semester test with flying colors.  Sorry I'm missing this one.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
SJU 81
Arizona 79

I think we shoot surprisingly well from the outside today.  MSG rims have been more friendly to us in recent years. 

I think Zona playing man will play into our hands, most of big wins last season came against man D.   I'd be surprised if Lindsey doesn't score 20. 

I also think the staff will use Stith like they did last week - not to bring the ball up, but as a a catch and attack option further up the court.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 01:15:17 PM »
Will the turmoil in AZ continue.  Seems to be some dissension with Turner, Chol and Sidiki not getting time.  Newsflash its only gonna get worse with the class coming in next year.

My prediction is we win.  What score?  I'm not that good ;)

Still waiting for Nuri to hit something over 10 ft. out.  If he could his dribble drive game would be so much better.  One guy with a hot hand would make all the difference vs Zona.  Another slow start and we're probably cooked.