Nerlens Noel - PF - Tilton School - Everett, MA - KENTUCKY

• 48 replies

Moose

Re: Nerlens Noel - PF - Tilton School - Everett, MA - KENTUCKY
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Has to take some classes in order to qualify. Kentucky always seems to get them cleared though.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/high_school/index.php/2012/07/09/kentucky-recruit-nerlens-noel-enrolled-in-summer-classes-at-everett-high/

History repeating itself - 2nd year in a a row, EPSNU's #1 ranked center in the class needing a couple of summer school classes in order to get eligible.

Anyone else flashing on Norvel Pelle at Rise Academy last summer?  :)

Not sure if they changed their rankings after the fact but right now looking at the '11 Rankings of Center they have Khem Birch as 1, Drummond 2, Christmas 3.  But I don't get why they have Birch 1 when he cherry picks half the time and they have Anthony Davis as a PF.  Weird
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:13:51 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
None of these kids should come out of the Nepsac ineligible.

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »
Did he reclassify to play this year?

crgreen

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
Has to take some classes in order to qualify. Kentucky always seems to get them cleared though.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/high_school/index.php/2012/07/09/kentucky-recruit-nerlens-noel-enrolled-in-summer-classes-at-everett-high/

History repeating itself - 2nd year in a a row, EPSNU's #1 ranked center in the class needing a couple of summer school classes in order to get eligible.

Not sure if they changed their rankings after the fact but right now looking at the '11 Rankings of Center they have Khem Birch as 1, Drummond 2, Christmas 3.  But I don't get why they have Birch 1 when he cherry picks half the time and they have Anthony Davis as a PF.  Weird

Sorry Moose, my bad.  For some reason I wrote "ESPNU", when I Meant Rivals/Yahoo.  Brain freeze on my part.   Rivals did their  player rankings before Drummond reclassified, and had Birch listed as a PF.    They had Norvel at #23 overal (top rated listed center)l, and Christmas at #27.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2288

Moose

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:58 PM »

Sorry Moose, my bad.  For some reason I wrote "ESPNU", when I Meant Rivals/Yahoo.  Brain freeze on my part.   Rivals did their  player rankings before Drummond reclassified, and had Birch listed as a PF.    They had Norvel at #23 overal (top rated listed center)l, and Christmas at #27.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2288

Yes I recall Pelle was top center for Rivals.

Moose

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
Interesting tidbit from Chad Ford-

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/8246678/summer-risers-fallers-2013-nba-draft-prospects

Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.

Last year Anthony Davis showed up at the LeBron James Skills Academy and virtually every scout in attendance claimed he was the best prospect there. I couldn't find anyone who was willing to say the same about Noel.

"He's got the raw abilities, but he doesn't have any of the intangibles of Anthony Davis," one scout said. "I think he's going to get better and [UK coach John Calipari] will help him a lot. But I told my GM to temper his expectations. We're probably going to see a season closer to Andre Drummond's than Anthony Davis."

Noel began the season in late June ranked No. 1 on our Big Board. A lot of NBA scouts are now questioning whether he really belongs there. On the other hand, if Noel isn't No. 1, then who is? No one had a clear favorite to replace him.

crgreen

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Interesting tidbit from Chad Ford-

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/8246678/summer-risers-fallers-2013-nba-draft-prospects

Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.

Last year Anthony Davis showed up at the LeBron James Skills Academy and virtually every scout in attendance claimed he was the best prospect there. I couldn't find anyone who was willing to say the same about Noel.

"He's got the raw abilities, but he doesn't have any of the intangibles of Anthony Davis," one scout said. "I think he's going to get better and [UK coach John Calipari] will help him a lot. But I told my GM to temper his expectations. We're probably going to see a season closer to Andre Drummond's than Anthony Davis."

Noel began the season in late June ranked No. 1 on our Big Board. A lot of NBA scouts are now questioning whether he really belongs there. On the other hand, if Noel isn't No. 1, then who is? No one had a clear favorite to replace him.
STILL have never seen what the gurus apparently saw in Noel to make him #1 in both the 2013 and then 2012 class.    Admittedly, have only seen him in film and video in about 8 games, but I don't even see this supposedly "best shot blocker in high school" everyone raved about.   Terrific shot blocker, no doubt, but FAR from the best I've seen.  There's video of Obekpa in one game  blocking like, 11 shots and ALL of them inbounds to teammates or himself.  Noel's blocks seem to be the 23rd row of the audience kind.  Looks impressive, but all it is is possession back to the opponent!

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
Noel has some knee problems no one is talking about. It's definitely effected his play
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 02:28:26 AM »
Noel has some knee problems no one is talking about. It's definitely effected his play

Repairable?