Recruiting

• 207 replies
Recruiting
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
With the many scholly open for next year, I think its time we look local for kids who want to be here and have absolutely zero eligibility issues. WE have some talent here, now we need bodies

Chilleb

Re: Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
With the many scholly open for next year, I think its time we look local for kids who want to be here and have absolutely zero eligibility issues. WE have some talent here, now we need bodies

Agreed, especially in the eligible department. I say we try to keep this local as well as much as possible. While everybody else in the country enjoys the constant pounding were taking I really feel the locals are still excited about st.johns basketball.

Chilleb

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
If the majority of our local talent stayed home just like most of the other major universities we wouldn't even come close to having these issues. We can't keep locals if our life depended on it, let's continue the trend that we started up again with moe hark and stop allowing the Kemba walkers, sylven landesberg, tu holloway, Erving walker, Russ smith, Kevin parrom, Jeremy hazel , James southerland ,Trevon Hughes,  to leave the city. ( just to name a few)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:54:33 PM by Chilleb »

Chilleb

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »
This is nuts, I'm watching west Virginia vs k state and see , Shane southwell, truck bryant , Kevin jones, and Jabari's hinds. More ny talent not in ny
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:09:48 PM by Chilleb »

Moose

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
This is nuts, I'm watching west Virginia vs k state and see , Shane southwell, truck bryant , Kevin jones, and Jabari's hinds. More ny talent not in ny

I think it more has to do with these kids 'wanting' to leave.  Even if we are good I think a lot just are tired of NY scene and want to explore a bit.  There will always be some however who don't mind staying close to home.  The key is locking them up.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »

Only one I'd want in that group is Jabarie Hinds
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Chilleb

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »

I think it more has to do with these kids 'wanting' to leave.  Even if we are good I think a lot just are tired of NY scene and want to explore a bit.  There will always be some however who don't mind staying close to home.  The key is locking them up.

Agreed and that's why I said majority. If we could get at least 2 out of 5 every time around I wouldn't be mad but were not even close to that over the years. ( I'm not counting Justin and Malik)

Chilleb

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:05:41 PM »

Only one I'd want in that group is Jabarie Hinds

Understandable , the point was we can't keep kids in our back yard if we fenced it in and reinforced it with steel and titanium. At this point and time in particular I'll take all 4 of them because we have nothing. While we struggle right now to fill a roster with more scholarship players then walk ons a plethora of new York talent is elsewhere because we couldn't lock them up. I wanna see our staff Continue to embrace and target the hometown kids and place them at the top of the priority list.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:07:06 PM »

Agreed and that's why I said majority. If we could get at least 2 out of 5 every time around I wouldn't be mad but were not even close to that over the years. ( I'm not counting Justin and Malik)

I've always used a similar analogy using round numbers of like 10 NYC players are year, half of which can play at your level and then keeping half of those home.  I think provided we keep the very best of NYC talent home we will be fine.  We did that in 2011 with Moe.

So lets talk about 2012 and the locals then.  I used Rivals and quickly rolled thru the top 5 or so NYC kids for 2012.  Really isn't much past these guys for 2012.

Calhoun
Bernardi
Okoro
Dingle
Obekpa
Suber

2013 is-

Lawrence
Samuel
Lewis
Washington
Rector
Sheppard
Facey

Who are vital to keep around NYC?

Chilleb

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
Everybody in 2012 is committed already except obekpa and that's the most nessaceray kid I believe. Jermaine Lawrence Lawrence I believe has potential but my eye is on Jordan Washington for 2013. His attitude sucks, he's not disciplined and he's about 25 pounds over weight very much so out of shape. With all that said I just recently last week watched him give the kid facey 33 points and wasn't even playing at his peak. If our staff can give him some guidance it's skies the limit for him.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »
Everybody in 2012 is committed already except obekpa and that's the most nessaceray kid I believe. Jermaine Lawrence Lawrence I believe has potential but my eye is on Jordan Washington for 2013. His attitude sucks, he's not disciplined and he's about 25 pounds over weight very much so out of shape. With all that said I just recently last week watched him give the kid facey 33 points and wasn't even playing at his peak. If our staff can give him some guidance it's skies the limit for him.

Who would you have wanted to stay home though from the committed '12 guys?

True about Washington but after what we just went thru with Nuri being uncoachable is that risk worth it.

Chilleb

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »

Who would you have wanted to stay home though from the committed '12 guys?

True about Washington but after what we just went thru with Nuri being uncoachable is that risk worth it.

Bernardi and Calhoun. Bernardi can hit a 30 footer in his sleep and is not that athletic yet smart and efficient. Calhoun has the potential to be special. Legit 6'4, long and has a knack for scoring

desco80

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Why limit ourselves to the NY area?
I'd like to see guys stay home too - but other than the "homesick" kids who come from the west coast I don't think recruiting from outside the area is a risk.

Now if you were to say we need to limit ourselves to kinds that we're sure will be eligible, or who have strong character, that you feel will be with the program for four years.... THAT I'm all for.  But you make it sound like recruiting guys from the area is a safer bet.   I don't think it works that way.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »
Why limit ourselves to the NY area?
I'd like to see guys stay home too - but other than the "homesick" kids who come from the west coast I don't think recruiting from outside the area is a risk.

Now if you were to say we need to limit ourselves to kinds that we're sure will be eligible, or who have strong character, that you feel will be with the program for four years.... THAT I'm all for.  But you make it sound like recruiting guys from the area is a safer bet.   I don't think it works that way.

I think we can get a better handle on what kind of character and what the kid is made of if hes in our own backyard. Plain and simple, we need eligible bodies and minds next year. Cant afford to take any risks this time around, that ship already sailed and sunk

desco80

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »
True.  You're right that the staff naturally gets to know the local recruit better; they see them play more often, know their coach and summer program etc.  You know the history of the kid a little more.  Hell, we on the this board know the history of most of the local recruits. 

I just think next year's class can't just be "filler" pieces.  We're going to need some guys who contribute right away and eventually can be starters in the Big East.  Gift and Stith will be seniors, and now with Nuri gone, we'll have 2 guards on the roster and no post presence for 2013.  So I think coach Lavin needs to look under every rock for talent that will be eligible and meet what he needs.  It really doesn't matter to me whether he's recruiting from Christ the King, Lithuania, or Detroit. 

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
True.  You're right that the staff naturally gets to know the local recruit better; they see them play more often, know their coach and summer program etc.  You know the history of the kid a little more.  Hell, we on the this board know the history of most of the local recruits. 

I just think next year's class can't just be "filler" pieces.  We're going to need some guys who contribute right away and eventually can be starters in the Big East.  Gift and Stith will be seniors, and now with Nuri gone, we'll have 2 guards on the roster and no post presence for 2013.  So I think coach Lavin needs to look under every rock for talent that will be eligible and meet what he needs.  It really doesn't matter to me whether he's recruiting from Christ the King, Lithuania, or Detroit. 

How many top 150 kids are unsigned? We might have to dig into the Atlantic 10 pool just to field a team anyway.

Chilleb

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
Talent is talent, wherever it comes from its talent. Love the fact d'angelo picked us and he's from Texas, however I personally wanna continue to keep the best players from new York in new York. Tired of seeing kids like Durand Scott at Miami and Ryan Pearson at George mason take off. Those kids should be in st johns uni's. Iona's a great team right now because they strongly embrace the home grown talent. The years when this program was at its best was when it embraced the home grown talent.Let's just secure the kids we have in our backyard is all I'm preaching. Its easier to keep a handle on the kids eligibility when there close too.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »

How many top 150 kids are unsigned? We might have to dig into the Atlantic 10 pool just to field a team anyway.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2509

I know some of the verballed haven't signed (ala Cameron Ridley) but here are the open kids.  Looks like 22 of the Top 150.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »
Talent is talent, wherever it comes from its talent. Love the fact d'angelo picked us and he's from Texas, however I personally wanna continue to keep the best players from new York in new York. Tired of seeing kids like Durand Scott at Miami and Ryan Pearson at George mason take off. Those kids should be in st johns uni's. Iona's a great team right now because they strongly embrace the home grown talent. The years when this program was at its best was when it embraced the home grown talent.Let's just secure the kids we have in our backyard is all I'm preaching. Its easier to keep a handle on the kids eligibility when there close too.

The local High Schools cant even keep the talent home. The kids bolt for Jersey,Oak Hill or whatever other basketball factory is out there. Nobody cares about playing 4 or 5 home games at the Garden anymore.

Chilleb

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »

The local High Schools cant even keep the talent home. The kids bolt for Jersey,Oak Hill or whatever other basketball factory is out there. Nobody cares about playing 4 or 5 home games at the Garden anymore.

Lol, agreed but it's not like moe hark was recruited from his original new York highschool. We went and got him at south kent.