Recruiting

• 207 replies
Re: Recruiting
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »
Are we still pursuing the juco kid Cummings?

He will be there for 2nd semester is my understanding.  Tex Pan Am game.

And what of the mysterious sharp-shooting transfer who's been rumored to be coming?   Does anyone know anything more definitive about that?
I'm sure he wouldn't have any academic problems based on this summer

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »
We have the number 1 ranked juco in America at Monroe, anybody worth springing for over there?

^^ Dont know why we haven't been mentioned with him but now would be the time to get after him if we aren't already

I think the question was "if" there was anybody worth looking at at Monroe.  Monroe is the #1 ranked CC, not any particular player.  To be honest I'm not familiar with their roster at all.  Some posters may have seen them play last year when they went to take a look at GG though.  Perhaps they have some insight.

My fault read it wrong, but isn't there a top ranked juco player in NYC? Thats what I was referring too

Moose

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
We have the number 1 ranked juco in America at Monroe, anybody worth springing for over there?

^^ Dont know why we haven't been mentioned with him but now would be the time to get after him if we aren't already

I think the question was "if" there was anybody worth looking at at Monroe.  Monroe is the #1 ranked CC, not any particular player.  To be honest I'm not familiar with their roster at all.  Some posters may have seen them play last year when they went to take a look at GG though.  Perhaps they have some insight.

My fault read it wrong, but isn't there a top ranked juco player in NYC? Thats what I was referring too

Orlando Sanchez plays for Monroe.  PF.  Saw him last year and nothing special stuck out.  But he is probably the name you are thinking of.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »

And what of the mysterious sharp-shooting transfer who's been rumored to be coming?   Does anyone know anything more definitive about that?

Keep your fingers crossed.

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 01:30:59 AM »

Could the sharpshooters name be Sid Finch? :-\

desco80

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »

There were some comments in Baldi's short-lived "WTF" thread about coach being out west for Walt Hazzard's funeral and then recruiting in Colorado.  Can anyone shine a little more light on who coach was recruiting this weekend?

Moose

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »

There were some comments in Baldi's short-lived "WTF" thread about coach being out west for Walt Hazzard's funeral and then recruiting in Colorado.  Can anyone shine a little more light on who coach was recruiting this weekend?

He wasn't recruiting in Colorado.  He was in LA for the funeral and watched Parker Jackson-Cartwright who was also watched by the Colorado coach.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »

He wasn't recruiting in Colorado.  He was in LA for the funeral and watched Parker Jackson-Cartwright who was also watched by the Colorado coach.

That makes a ton more sense. 

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 04:09:40 PM »
beyond recruiting new players, coach is going to have to re-recruit our current roster.  one of the key reasons these guys came were to play with other top talent.  we have no one coming in right now.  and if coach isn't able to sign quality players by spring, I wouldn't be surprised if more player's decide to transfer.  the most important recruits are on the team now.

desco80

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
beyond recruiting new players, coach is going to have to re-recruit our current roster.  one of the key reasons these guys came were to play with other top talent.  we have no one coming in right now.  and if coach isn't able to sign quality players by spring, I wouldn't be surprised if more player's decide to transfer.  the most important recruits are on the team now.

I'm actually not that worried about the guys left jumping ship.  If they were going to do it, they'd do it now so they could be eligible second semester next year.   Guys aren't going to sit out a whole year when they're guaranteed 30 minutes a night in the Big East. 

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 09:59:54 PM »

Orlando Sanchez plays for Monroe.  PF.  Saw him last year and nothing special stuck out.  But he is probably the name you are thinking of.

Yup thanks thats the name. Out of curiosity what kind of game does he have?

Moose

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »

I'll be honest I saw him last year vs. Erie and Gift.  I was paying more attention to Gift but I looked back on the box score and he didn't do much.  I'd like to try to get to a Monroe game this year.

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 12:26:42 AM »

I'll be honest I saw him last year vs. Erie and Gift.  I was paying more attention to Gift but I looked back on the box score and he didn't do much.  I'd like to try to get to a Monroe game this year.

Monroe is a great team because they are solid at every position.  They have a dynamic midget backcourt that dominates the action.  Sanchez holds down the post but he would be nothing more than a bottom of the roster guy that Lavin would use for 10 mins.  The one kid I would look at is their SG, Davon Marshall, who is  only 5'11 but I'm told is Hattenesque both in terms of scoring and athleticism.

He might be a solid option as a spark plug off the bench...and he is a SHOOTER...that can play some point. He'd probably instantly become our best shooter.  He's kind of like Bonneau from CW Post that went for 28 against us.  I don't understand why kids that can score that insanely well aren't given schollies by high-majors to come in during scoring ruts to just do what they do best.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:29:44 AM by Marillac »

Chilleb

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »
Have we or did we ever contemplate Ethan Telfair? (sebastians little brother) I've been reading and hearing good stuff about him lately. Wanna see him live to make sure though.

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
A class of Gathers,Obekpa and Wood would be nice. Still need a pg, grab Sina in the next class. I don't think we make a major climb in the Big East til 2013 anyways

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
We climb a lot faster if we could get in the running for Stokes. 6'9 and wants to enroll in January.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/14/jarnell-stokes-leaning-toward-enrolling-in-january/#more-63167

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 08:52:18 AM »
Thats a shady list of schools Stokes is considering.

Moose

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »
We climb a lot faster if we could get in the running for Stokes. 6'9 and wants to enroll in January.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/14/jarnell-stokes-leaning-toward-enrolling-in-january/#more-63167

I've been wishing that for the last couple of weeks.

Moose

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
Thats a shady list of schools Stokes is considering.

It is.  But the weird part is he's a really smart kid.

Poison

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »
He's waiting on an answer from God. Clearly, that answer is not us.