Recruiting

• 207 replies

Poison

Re: Recruiting
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »

Chilleb

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2011, 01:11:35 AM »
I had mentioned I had heard some good things about Ethan Telfair recently and read a few articles on him and wanted to see him live. However I didn't have to even wait that long , the YouTube subscriber " Thebasketballdiary"
Has a recent game up of Thomas Jefferson vs Abraham Lincoln. Two brooklyn public powerhouses, if any of you guys get a chance check out the game and let me get your opinion on him.

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »
There is a kid from Cleveland State (the JUCO) who is just going nuts.  Freshman AVERAGING 12 3-pt attempts per game (unheard of at any level).  His name is Nick Ross and he is 6'1 averaging 21.5 ppg.  I never heard of him nor have I ever seen him play, but to jack up 12 attempts per game means he is just firing from all over the court, with many of the shots going up with guys draped all over him.
http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?category=stats&sid=4&divid=1&slid=2&collegeId=1343&teamid=121212&athleteid=349521&seasonselect=556

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
I would love it if we had a spot for Dwayne Brunson.  He played at Cardozo and is now at Barton (KS) CC.

http://www.bartonccc.edu/athletics/mbasketball/1112/roster.html

One of the sickest athletes I've ever seen.

Not a great outside shot, but an excellent rebounder and leads his team in blocked shots.
And, btw, he would come in a heartbeat.

boo3

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »
 Didn't we go down the "mystery recruit" route once before a few years back?  Did that ever pan out?

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
I would think that Taylor's situation is the same as Sampson's or Pelle's
Signed a LOI to attend in Sept 2011, didn't qualify, went to prep schooll and is now a "free agent"
Why would it be different?

If you enroll.  Like Glover did.

That is correct but Taylor never enrolled at RU so he is a true free agent eligible to go to BE schools.

derk

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
Just a random thought could Michael Taylor be that mystery shooter coming in?

Not him.
Plus isn't he stuck with BE schools since he signed LOI with Rutgers?  (Ala Glover and Hall years ago)

Was just a guess because I thought we had some interest in him when he was still at Boys & Girls and obviously being the hometown team. I thought he would be open now just like Jakarr could possibly go to Providence

I forgot the particulars.  You might be right.  So long as he didn't enroll.  Taylor dropped off the face of the earth once he committed last year.  His play went in the tank.
I'm very leery of B&G kids.  They rarely make it on big college stage.  In the last 10-15 years who has from that school?

Ed Davendar - Kentucky. But your point is a good one.

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
Where are all of the currently needed commitments (especially at Center) going to come from?  This BB program is in deep trouble right now (imo).  3 months ago things looked fantastic and now things have suddenly gotten very cloudy.

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »
We are like  tennaged girl that just got dumped by some 16y.o. boy.  It is NOT the end of the world.  Lavin will have us right back on track with the next recruiting class.

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »
We are like  tennaged girl that just got dumped by some 16y.o. boy.  It is NOT the end of the world.  Lavin will have us right back on track with the next recruiting class.
Yep, Coach needs to get his energy and health in order, and the rest will take care of itself. 

DFF6

« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
Yep, Coach needs to get his energy and health in order, and the rest will take care of itself.

Agreed.  Speaking of Coach, anyone know if Lavin is planning to come back to coach the Fordham game?  Personally, I'd rather see him conserve his energy and try to come back for the BE portion of the schedule (assuming, of course, he's physically up to it).

Poison

« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »

I don't doubt that, but I've already paid for tickets this season. And I'm not interested in getting excited for next year, before this year's BE season has even begun. The staff, and frankly, I don't care who does it, should be looking far and wide for a big man to add to this current team, and a shooter.

And I'm asking for that in addition to Garrett-who is being billed as a role player by his current coach.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:41:13 AM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2011, 10:47:49 AM »
  Have we even begun to look at the fact that someone is inevitably going to get hurt during the season?  Then what? 

This is going to be an interesting year, if nothing else.  Some of these circumstances were out of the programs control, while others clearly were.  Nothing we can do now except ride the wave. 

Garrett and Cummings are coming next semester?  Percentage wise-  how positive are those in the know that this is going to happen?

Are we looking at another big man?

I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't be panicking left and right here.  Most important thing is that Lavin gets his health back and gets the program back on track.  Rushing back would be a bad decision, but I'm sure as a competitor, that is what is going to happen.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:48:17 AM by boo3 »

« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
Lavin is in Florida at the City of Palms watching the 3pm game between Jaren Sina (13) and Rico Gathers (12).

Per Zags tweet

« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »
Lavin is in Florida at the City of Palms watching the 3pm game between Jaren Sina (13) and Rico Gathers (12).

Per Zags tweet

Looks like he took Baldi's advice. Go get em coach

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »

Per Zags tweet

Here is a live feed of the game.  Unfortunately, it seems to be frozen at the moment.

The News-Press - live streaming video powered by Livestream

« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »

Per Zags tweet

Here is a live feed of the game.  Unfortunately, it seems to be frozen at the moment.

Thanks MJ! I started to watch but it went dead after a minute. How'd Sina look?

« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »

Per Zags tweet

Got to see some of the second half and OT. Sina looks real good, looks to be more then just a shooter

« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »

Per Zags tweet

Got to see some of the second half and OT. Sina looks real good, looks to be more then just a shooter

Thanks, I want this kid in Queens

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

Per Zags tweet

Thanks, I want this kid in Queens

Same here