One thing I like 'bout each newb

• 23 replies
One thing I like 'bout each newb
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Just offerin a lil positivity is all....

D'Angelo: Brother got no hops. Lets say it. Lets live wit it. We may never see him dunk even on a breakaway. Thats what makes what I'm about to say even mo meaningful.

Brother---is----straight----up----FEARLESS.

D'Angelo constantly brings it to the hole challenging bigger players, going after rebounds and mixing it up when he dont have any business doin so. Yeah, sometime he gets swatted back, put on his rear and can't finish. But he lays his body out there against the giants and gets to the line where he do finish. 

GG: Yeah, he struggle in the halfcourt and against bigger brothers and he shouldnt have the ball anywhere outside the paint cause he dribble it off his foot.

But I aint ever seen a STJ big get up and down the floor like he do. His motor is phenomenal. Against Fordham he was cherry-pickin at will cause nobody could keep up. That oop from D'Angelo was a thing of beauty. That finish from Dom was monster. He's one brother I aint worried about huffin and puffin while playin 40.

Moe Sometime he look like he lackidasical. Sometime he should be more selfish and look for his shot in the halfcourt O. And everybdy gonna praise him for his versatility and Durant highlight moves.

But anybody else impress with this boy's bounding? I mean serious. Moe is a straight up 2 in most systems. Not only is he playin down low, but he boundin like a full-fledged man. Now I know stats may be a lil inflated when you playin 40 each game, but he's doin what he do especially on the D glass. So while some y'all think he's given in 75 percent each game, Moe is most def workin on the glass.

Phil Confidence. It comes and goes wit this brother asked to have the hardest burden of all: being a D1 point guard as a frosh.

But when Phil is feelin it, the brother has a move that he gonna weaponize fo the next four year whether he runnin the show or not. His teardrop is money. Yeah, you heard it. Brother can get to the lane and pull out the floater and it become an indefensible shot (see Jackson, Mark and Cain, David). He also has a mad pretty 15-ft pullup J. He need time and experience, both of which he'll get this year to hone these skills.

Dom Jack of all trades, master of none. Maybe. A lil early to say that. Yeah, he an energy guy, no doubt.

Dom is a hella smart player. Not sayin he a point forward of anytin. But he know his limitation and plays within it. How many frosh can you say of that. He dont take much bad shots. He dont force his dribble. He dont take dumb chances on D. All this from the brother that is probly the most raw playa on the team. Sometin to be said.

I remain respectfully yours,
Choz4Life

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

DFF6

Re: One thing I like 'bout each newb
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »

D'Angelo: Brother got no hops. Lets say it. Lets live wit it. We may never see him dunk even on a breakaway. Thats what makes what I'm about to say even mo meaningful.

D'Angelo constantly brings it to the hole challenging bigger players, going after rebounds and mixing it up when he dont have any business doin so. Yeah, sometime he gets swatted back, put on his rear and can't finish. But he lays his body out there against the giants and gets to the line where he do finish. 

GG: Yeah, he struggle in the halfcourt and against bigger brothers and he shouldnt have the ball anywhere outside the paint cause he dribble it off his foot.

But I aint ever seen a STJ big get up and down the floor like he do. His motor is phenomenal. Against Fordham he was cherry-pickin at will cause nobody could keep up. That oop from D'Angelo was a thing of beauty. That finish from Dom was monster. He's one brother I aint worried about huffin and puffin while playin 40.

Moe Sometime he look like he lackidasical. Sometime he should be more selfish and look for his shot in the halfcourt O. And everybdy gonna praise him for his versatility and Durant highlight moves.

But anybody else impress with this boy's bounding? I mean serious. Moe is a straight up 2 in most systems. Not only is he playin down low, but he boundin like a full-fledged man. Now I know stats may be a lil inflated when you playin 40 each game, but he's doin what he do especially on the D glass. So while some y'all think he's given in 75 percent each game, Moe is most def workin on the glass.

Phil Confidence. It comes and goes wit this brother asked to have the hardest burden of all: being a D1 point guard as a frosh.

But when Phil is feelin it, the brother has a move that he gonna weaponize fo the next four year whether he runnin the show or not. His teardrop is money. Yeah, you heard it. Brother can get to the lane and pull out the floater and it become an indefensible shot (see Jackson, Mark and Cain, David). He also has a mad pretty 15-ft pullup J. He need time and experience, both of which he'll get this year to hone these skills.

Dom Jack of all trades, master of none. Maybe. A lil early to say that. Yeah, he an energy guy, no doubt.

Dom is a hella smart player. Not sayin he a point forward of anytin. But he know his limitation and plays within it. How many frosh can you say of that. He dont take much bad shots. He dont force his dribble. He dont take dumb chances on D. All this from the brother that is probly the most raw playa on the team. Sometin to be said.

Choz4Life

Great post Choz!  I would say that Dom has the best potential to be our shut down defender (so he might be a master of one trade). Otherwise, great analysis.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:46:01 PM by DFF6 »

jr49

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »
Choz, if it's not much trouble, I would like to hear what you think of Nuri's game.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:35:39 PM »

Choz4Life

Great analysis Choz!
You know who else we never saw dunk?
Hardy
I think the staff will focus on Deangelo shedding some weight this summer and becoming more explosive.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
Nice post Choz. Thanks for bringing the positivity. We need more of that.

Agree about Mo's boarding.  He's a monster. Double double machine.

D'angelo's fearlessness will be his best and worst attribute as his career continues.  I see some electric performances as well as some dumb technicals over the next 3 1/2 seasons.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »

Resident Shaman Choz has spoken...and spoken solidly - thx Choz.

One thing to add on GG - when he is down low against bigger bodies, when he gets in tight and bodies up instead of leaving space, like he did vs. UK, he's more effective.  He'll get better at that as the year progresses.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
Good stuff choz. Absolutey right on Gift, the guards need to learn not to pass him the ball on the move, especially anywhere above the foul line.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
 Plus, we played 5 guys against Fordham.  Pecora played 10.  Big difference.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
Plus, we played 5 guys against Fordham.  Pecora played 10.  Big difference.

Yup, 10 NON PLAYERS.  I am not picking apart anyones analysis, but I guess that people on this site need a reality check.  We keep thinking that these kids are better than they actually are.  And the freshman argument gets old.  Yes they are frosh, but so are other teams players as well.  And as frosh, they have lodged enough minutes to be considered sophomores.

Look, you are what your record says you are ...period.....freshman, sophomores juniors or seniors.  When we beat an opponent, do we all look up their players dates of graduation?   Yes we are a bit thin and against TALENTED TEAMS, that will be an issue but against the likes of Fordham, it should not, not if you are talking about a team loaded WITH TRUE TOP 100 kids.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
Realfan, no team has less experience than ours. Not one team in the nation.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »

True but the talented players that we have should make up for our numbers at least against weak teams like Fordham, no?

boo3

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
    "but I guess that people on this site need a reality check.  We keep thinking that these kids are better than they actually are."-  realfan

you keep saying this, but who is saying anything different?  Have you read the site lately?  Everyone is down and no one is predicting miracles this season.  Some people had lofty expectation before the season started, but after watching a few games, the eligibility issues, and Lindsay, expectations are at an all time low.  Perhaps you want credit for being ahead of the curve and predicting these kids would struggle...well, you got it.  Your the man.

Seriously though, you basically said Choz was over rating the players. i didn't think he was rating anyone.  He was giving an honest assessment of what kind of players they have been and what we can look forward to down the line.  Please dispute something he said if your going to say he was wrong.  I can't find anything wrong, but maybe i'm one that needs a reality check.  Please enlighten us dopes.  ;)

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »

True but the talented players that we have should make up for our numbers at least against weak teams like Fordham, no?

Please stop.. Between you and Baldi this site is becoming unreadable. They played 5 freaking first year players.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:05:03 PM by action jackson »

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »
Ch-ch-ch-check the subject of this here thread.

It aint in no way a complete eval of evry playa. C'mon now!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »

Choz4Life

Great assessment Choz...Cant agree more about Moe's rebounding...He doesn't just pull 'em down, he "snatches" rebounds...

boo3

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
  He's got strong hands it seems.  Once he gets his mitts on the ball, it isn't going anywhere. Great rebounder. Best part of his game if you ask me.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »
The talent here is good.  These kids are good.  They're all first year players.  Moe will be ROY easily at this rate and Harrison's numbers are also up there in overall league play.  People expecting a bit to much too soon, especially without Lindsey, Pelle and Sampson and only adding Garrett now.  How good is this core going to be as sophs, juniors and seniors.  Ridiculously good with the addition of a few more quality guys.  Choz is right.  We're real close.  Lots of good things in this roster, just too young and too thin on the roster.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
this team is solid from top to bottom.  the roster is short...it's the first year of division one for the players...there really is NO quarterback to lead them.  if we had a barkley instead of nuri to lead them, we'd be undefeated except for kentucky.  we don't.  these kids will turn into men before our eyes.  thanks, choz for the positivity.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »
Great break down Choz...Harkless's rebounding has really impressed me.  I did not expect it at all.  He also does a decent job on D with his help defense and altering shots. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 01:38:57 AM »
Harkless arms seem to reach out soooo far. They said that Gift has a 86 inch wingspan, I have to believe that moe has longer arms than him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.