Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 270 replies

Poison

Re: Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
Nice to see

« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »
Great link for the Branch-Gathers connection.  They are our missing pieces.  I love to hear Branch talking about a run for a national championship.  I can see a SJU-UNLV match up in 2 years!

« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2012, 03:27:55 AM »
As to how much eligibility he has left-he could opt to sit out the entire next season in which case he would have 3 full seasons of eligibility left. But with a talented player this is unlikely and in this case additionally he plays a position of need so it is even less likely. We all know he will play as soon as eligible next season.

He has 3.5 eligibility left. He'll start in the spring like Amir Garrett did.

You are as wrong as the night is long.

This is why schools have compliance officers and why I'm not one of them :)

I guess I was thinking he'd be in school 3.5 years. Heck, I don't know.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »
Apparently, Jamal is friends with Gathers. Hopefully he can help convince him to recommit.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/11/branch-wants-gathers-to-join-him-at-st-johns/

I am sure Dave was already aware of this connection, given his comments that Gathers is within our grasp.   ;)

Zags tends to overplay these recruiting stories somewhat. All these kids are friendly. They've been playing against/with each other since they're 9/10 years old. Going to same camps, playing in same tourney's, etc. The staff is doing their diligence with a number of high level recruits. Having players leverage and lobby other players certainly doesn't hinder the process.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »
Apparently, Jamal is friends with Gathers. Hopefully he can help convince him to recommit.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/11/branch-wants-gathers-to-join-him-at-st-johns/

I am sure Dave was already aware of this connection, given his comments that Gathers is within our grasp.   ;)

Zags tends to overplay these recruiting stories somewhat. All these kids are friendly. They've been playing against/with each other since they're 9/10 years old. Going to same camps, playing in same tourney's, etc. The staff is doing their diligence with a number of high level recruits. Having players leverage and lobby other players certainly doesn't hinder the process.
I'm still confused though.
If he has 3 years eligibility left- does that mean if he starts playing in Jan 2013
 (his 2nd semester soph year)he can play until mid season - Dec 2015 ?
Molloy '71

« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »
This is currently Jamal's first year (1/2 @ A & M, 1/2 sitting). Next year is his 2nd (1/2 sitting, 1/2 Johnnies). His 3rd (2013 & 2014) & 4th years (2014 & 2015) are at St John's. He will be available to play for St John's in December of 2012, after the first semester is completed.

sju89tr

« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
I got confused too after seeing some posts, he definitely cannot play 5 seasons. It's unfortunate that he will miss half of two season's but that's the rule and makes sense.

« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
I guess the confusion is my fault when I started.the 2.5 year stuff.  He does have 3 years left.       But you either use a full year eligibility or none.  It goes by seasons not semesters.

He used 1 year at a & m.  He will use another nextyear playing second semester.  He then will have two years left.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »
I guess the confusion is my fault when I started.the 2.5 year stuff.  He does have 3 years left.       But you either use a full year eligibility or none.  It goes by seasons not semesters.

He used 1 year at a & m.  He will use another next year playing second semester.  He then will have two years left.

I guess my confusion was coming from the football world.  Basketball is different because the season is played over both semesters which is unique.

DFF6

« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »
Anyone know whether Jamal has made it to campus yet?  The sooner he can start practicing with the team, the better.

ras

« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
I read he will arrive Fri.

DFF6

« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
I read he will arrive Fri.

Thanks.  Maybe wishful thinking, but I think Jamal's impact on the team will be noticeable this season.  Practicing every day with a high major PG talent like him has to make the team better, right?

ras

« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
Right. And it won t hurt his devolopment either.

« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »
Anyone know whether Jamal has made it to campus yet?  The sooner he can start practicing with the team, the better.
What's the hurry? Hasn't it been established that he has like 9 yrs of eligibility left? :)

DFF6

« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »
What's the hurry? Hasn't it been established that he has like 9 yrs of eligibility left? :)

I was actually worried that he wouldn't get as much practice time with Moe before Moe becomes a lottery pick next year  :D

« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »

I was actually worried that he wouldn't get as much practice time with Moe before Moe becomes a lottery pick next year  :D

thought i heard he would be on campus today. 

DFF6

« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »

Any confirmed sitings of Jamal on campus today? 

I think I'm starting to sound like a stalker. 

« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »

Stalker Central:

Jamal leaves tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/JamazingBranch/status/157891594035535872

@WillieWild
What time y'all leaving?

@JamazingBranch We leave tomorrow!rrow![
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:53:23 PM by bball purist »

DFF6

« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »

Stalker Central:

Jamal leaves tomorrow.

Thanks for the fix! 

« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »

Stalker Central:

Jamal leaves tomorrow.

Thanks for the fix!
You're welcome.  I love social media - as long as used properly like any other tool.

And here's your Friday Tweet Nugget (which Jamal retweeted):

https://twitter.com/Terptek/status/157897265095258113

#StJbb already #CantWait for JamazingBranch to hit campus tomorrow. UR going 2 a basketball school Jamal - wait'll you see the difference!

BTW - Once the students get back, they better not let me down!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:39:21 PM by bball purist »