D'Angelo is really really tough

• 80 replies

MCNPA

Re: D'Angelo is really really tough
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
He does not have a traditional jumper. More of a set / push shot and I do not think he will ever shoot a great percentage from three. Who cares though, he is a good basketball player. Going to play 4 years and might wound up as the schools all time leading scorer.

Watch his form again.  Not a set/push shooter at all.  He just doesn't have a lot of extraneous motion in the stroke.  Quick release.

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »
since the beginning of the season, DH has learned how to set himself better.  at first he'd chuck up an off balance shot, not squared at all.  if you notice him now, he is nicely setting himself up to receive the ball for his quick release shot.  he still shoots off balance, mostly on a break, but in the half-court set, he is looking to assure he has the fundamentals down.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Wow! I like Harrison as I do all the kids on this year team including Nuri. No one is perfect. But if you watch any woman's game then watch Harrison, you will see the similarities between jumpers.

boo3

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
 As long as it goes in, i couldn't care less. 

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
Wow! I like Harrison as I do all the kids on this year team including Nuri. No one is perfect. But if you watch any woman's game then watch Harrison, you will see the similarities between jumpers.

Watched plenty of ball for years.  No resemblance to womens ball here...

D'Angelo Harrison Highlights - HardwoodElite.com

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »
DH is rookie of the week

Big East Basketball @BigEastMBB
17m
1/9 Weekly Honors: West Virginia G Darryl Bryant is BIG EAST Player of the Week; St. John's G D'Angelo Harrison is Rookie of the Week.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
Congrats to D'Angelo!!!  The first of MANY honors to come his way.  We are really blessed as fans.  FINALLY!

Moose

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »

You sure love taking shots at Harrison
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
STJ_Basketball @STJ_Basketball
6m
D'Angelo Harrison becomes #stjbb's first BIG EAST Rookie of the Week since Daryll Hill on Feb. 23, 2004.

MCNPA

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
6m
D'Angelo Harrison becomes #stjbb's first BIG EAST Rookie of the Week since Daryll Hill on Feb. 23, 2004.

Pretty funny at Harkless didn't get rookie of the week when he set the Big East rookie record thugh, no?

Poison

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
6m

Eli Carter had an even better week. Fair is fair.
Pretty funny at Harkless didn't get rookie of the week when he set the Big East rookie record thugh, no?

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »

Catch and shoot, his shot is a lil like a push shot.

His pull up J, on the otherhand, is not.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

Choz we have been agreeing as of late on some things. I am happy you are finally seeing things the right way :)
I said the same thing on another thread. His pull up jumper is more pure and with a better arc. I have a lot more confidence in that shot. Regardless a guys form on his jumper is just my thing. Remember I started watching games as a kid with Mullin so I am spoiled. I did compare Harrison to a guy who at one time I think was the BE all time leading scorer and another who won an NCAA as a frosh. People are acting like I am making fun of their child by saying he has a push shot. ::)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:50:05 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
I also stated I think the three might be a little out of his range at this point in time and his form as we noted is different on his two point shots. He also has good form at the line. If he gets a little bigger maybe the three point shot changes a little.

MCNPA

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »
I also stated I think the three might be a little out of his range at this point in time and his form as we noted is different on his two point shots. He also has good form at the line. If he gets a little bigger maybe the three point shot changes a little.

Interestingly enough, Harrison is well known for having fantastic 3-pt range coming out of HS.  I remember one person saying he's in range when he steps in the gym.  Go figure. 

Poison

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
6m

Yes, it was, but I do think Carter had an ever stronger performance. Midway through the second half, the Providence game was over. Carter took AAs on Florida, and outplayed all of them.
That's the best performance by any freshman in the nation this season. Any other week, Harkless get it.

Right now, it looks like it will be hard to keep Harrison, Harkless, Henton, Drummond, Benehan and Carter off the all rookie team.
Hinds, Porter and Collins could rise or fall depending on how the season plays out.

Several years ago, many of us were mad that Troy Murphy won ROY on a poor team, while Barkley was snubbed because all he did was run the offense.
He wasn't asked to score 25 per game, because his squad was stacked.

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:16 PM »

Interestingly enough, Harrison is well known for having fantastic 3-pt range coming out of HS.  I remember one person saying he's in range when he steps in the gym.  Go figure. 

Dave Telep raved about Harrison's range during the summer of 2010.  There were also a couple of analysts from Rivals who spoke highly of Harrison's long ball.

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »

I have seen it said that Harrison was the tallest guy on his HS team. It is not just the range but shooting over bigger people. Regardless he def looks far more comfortable on two point shots.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »

Choz we have been agreeing as of late on some things. I am happy you are finally seeing things the right way :)
I said the same thing on another thread. His pull up jumper is more pure and with a better arc. I have a lot more confidence in that shot. Regardless a guys form on his jumper is just my thing. Remember I started watching games as a kid with Mullin so I am spoiled. I did compare Harrison to a guy who at one time I think was the BE all time leading scorer and another who won an NCAA as a frosh. People are acting like I am making fun of their child by saying he has a push shot. ::)

Marcus Hatten didn't have a pretty shot. It was unorthodox to say the least. It goes in. Why does it matter how. It's like your calling out a birthmark on a supermodel
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
Marcus Hatten didn't have a pretty shot. It was unorthodox to say the least. It goes in. Why does it matter how. It's like your calling out a birthmark on a supermodel

Hatten was unique and was way more explosive than Harrison. Hatten got great elevation on his jumper but he drifted a lot. Like I said the form for the most part is my thing. As a rule I do not trust a guy shooting a push shot unless it is 1950 and he is playing in Indiana.