Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y. - FORDHAM

• 676 replies

Moose

Re: Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y.
« Reply #280 on: March 04, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
Isn't the point staff has not taken any interest in him, right or wrong? Happy has noted that and it does not appear that will change.

Correct.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »
No, no, and no. No need to panic and this would be panic.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »

You need to read your site more, Dave..  This place is in complete panic mode.  ::)

What do you think Lavin does, assuming Jordan is out of the mix?  Best guess.

MCNPA

« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

Lol, you tell us not to panic but you are the one that dropped the news about Rysheed to UCLA.  Seeing as how if we don't land another guard we will see Phil Greene for 38 minutes per game next season, I think "urgency" is appropriate even if panic is not.

Poison

« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »

Shouldn't there be just a hint of panic since our best player was suspended for the season right before the stretch run? I think a little panic is exactly what was created by that decision.

« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »

It's unbelievable.  Somehow Greene, Marco and Balamou who have been playing together for less then a year all stink now and have no future so what we need to do is bring in an unranked kid who a few months ago was largely being recruited by the likes of Fordham, URI and GW.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:37:56 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »

Lol, you tell us not to panic but you are the one that dropped the news about Rysheed to UCLA.  Seeing as how if we don't land another guard we will see Phil Greene for 38 minutes per game next season, I think "urgency" is appropriate even if panic is not.

Right so we have already determined that Harrison is gone.  To replace him we choose not Max Hooper, not Phil Greene, not Marco not Balamou but an unranked kid who is not good enough to play over any of them and you are committing 4 years too after you bashed a kid who was offered 2 years ago by West Virginia back when WVU  was actually good.

« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »

Why do you need to sign anyone? You'd want to waste a scholarship on a guy who would never play? What sense does that make? Jordan would play, would be a difference maker at this level, so he would be worth it.

Severe doesn't make sense for St. John's as much as St. John's doesn't make sense for Severe. He's not suited for Big East (old or new).
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
I understand that SJU has not shot it well this year (as about every Big East schools btw).

I also understand that losing a tough game at PC without Harrison makes people mad.  I would argue SJU scored enough points to win that game.  PC was not very good from the field and if SJU had a couple more stops then they could have won say 59-57.

But here is where you guys go over the top and also get delusional.  Even if you think SJU needs more shooting Severe cannot help them now anyway.  And they only have a schollie for him IF Harrison does not come back.  And so what you are saying is that with an entire off season and with these kids that are here already and are bigger and stronger and more experienced then Severe won't get better but Severe who probably needs 2 years to develop is worth a schollie even though he can't help them now or quite frankly next year and that ASSUMES Harrison does not come back or else we don't even have this conversation.

No that is big panic move and poor moves get made from panic.

« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »

Why do you need to sign anyone? You'd want to waste a scholarship on a guy who would never play? What sense does that make? Jordan would play, would be a difference maker at this level, so he would be worth it.

Severe doesn't make sense for St. John's as much as St. John's doesn't make sense for Severe. He's not suited for Big East (old or new).

BINGO BINGO  BINGO.  The schools interested in Severe are either mid majors or bigger schools with a bunch of scholarships available.  SJU with Harrison has none.  You are comparing Phil Greene with guys like Sean Kilpatrick and Russ Smith and Brandon Triche, Severe cannot touch any of those guys anyway.

Why the hell would you offer a scholarship to a kid who not only does not upgrade you but would end up transferring after 1 year anyway.

Let me tell you if you saw Phil Greene at IMG and saw Severe in high school you would laugh at the idea that Severe would be better then him.  Laugh.

boo3

« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
I understand that SJU has not shot it well this year (as about every Big East schools btw).

I also understand that losing a tough game at PC without Harrison makes people mad.  I would argue SJU scored enough points to win that game.  PC was not very good from the field and if SJU had a couple more stops then they could have won say 59-57.

But here is where you guys go over the top and also get delusional.  Even if you think SJU needs more shooting Severe cannot help them now anyway.  And they only have a schollie for him IF Harrison does not come back.  And so what you are saying is that with an entire off season and with these kids that are here already and are bigger and stronger and more experienced then Severe won't get better but Severe who probably needs 2 years to develop is worth a schollie even though he can't help them now or quite frankly next year and that ASSUMES Harrison does not come back or else we don't even have this conversation.

No that is big panic move and poor moves get made from panic.

Good post Fordham..

« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:37 PM »

BINGO BINGO  BINGO.  The schools interested in Severe are either mid majors or bigger schools with a bunch of scholarships available.  SJU with Harrison has none.  You are comparing Phil Greene with guys like Sean Kilpatrick and Russ Smith and Brandon Triche, Severe cannot touch any of those guys anyway.

Why the hell would you offer a scholarship to a kid who not only does not upgrade you but would end up transferring after 1 year anyway.

Let me tell you if you saw Phil Greene at IMG and saw Severe in high school you would laugh at the idea that Severe would be better then him.  Laugh.

Never got to see him play at IMG. Did you Fordham?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
Not sure what his final IMG stats were, but at one point he was averaging 28 ppg and 10 apg. The guy has talent. He just needs to be broken of bad habits.

« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
Ok, last Jon Severe update of the night. He talked to coaches from West Virginia, St. John's (Tony Chiles) and Tennessee tonight.

If we aren't recruiting him I wonder what this was about

Poison

« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »

Where were Sean Kilpatrick and Russ Smith ranked coming out of high school?

Moose

« Reply #295 on: March 04, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
Ok, last Jon Severe update of the night. He talked to coaches from West Virginia, St. John's (Tony Chiles) and Tennessee tonight.

The people I talk to have direct line to the HC.  I'll take their word.

« Reply #296 on: March 04, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille

The people I talk to have direct line to the HC.  I'll take their word.

Wasn't questioning that was literally just wondering what was going on because I think we talked to him several times that week

« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2013, 07:01:39 AM »
Fordham making a lot of sense on this thread.

MCNPA

« Reply #298 on: March 05, 2013, 08:32:19 AM »
If severe can't help us, then so be it.  Right now I'm just not exactly confident in our guard situation with Harrison seemingly up in the air and a backcourt that has a ton of difficulty both getting to the hoop and shooting.  Sanchez was a victory, but I'd hate to whiff in this recruiting class if we have real needs.  If there's nobody JT there that can help us, then so be it.

I watched a Providence team that has Council, Cotton, Dunn and looking forward, even with Harrison we'd only have one guard who can score like those 3.  Sanchez was a huge victory because we whiffed on Lawrence and I have no doubt Orlando will suit us better for one season. 

My question for those that know is whether it's Jordan or bust this season or are we heading into next season "as is" where we will likely have the same backcourt issues we had this season? 

Moose

« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:51 AM »
If severe can't help us, then so be it.  Right now I'm just not exactly confident in our guard situation with Harrison seemingly up in the air and a backcourt that has a ton of difficulty both getting to the hoop and shooting.  Sanchez was a victory, but I'd hate to whiff in this recruiting class if we have real needs.  If there's nobody JT there that can help us, then so be it.

I watched a Providence team that has Council, Cotton, Dunn and looking forward, even with Harrison we'd only have one guard who can score like those 3.  Sanchez was a huge victory because we whiffed on Lawrence and I have no doubt Orlando will suit us better for one season. 

My question for those that know is whether it's Jordan or bust this season or are we heading into next season "as is" where we will likely have the same backcourt issues we had this season? 

If Harrison doesn't come back you think Lavin would throw the kitchen sink at a guard who can score?  Regardless of all the criticism I've given him lately even I know he would go after someone.  Not saying Severe but someone
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:37:15 AM by Moose »