Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies

Moose

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #560 on: September 11, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »
Brownlee and Moe could both shoot.   I've only seen 3 of Orlando's games, and they were online, but I didn't see that kind of midrange game from him.

He seems like a very good player, but I think the expectations for him seemingly got higher and higher as the summer went on, without any additional game footage or scouting info. 

There was a video of him shooting (yes unguarded and practicing) from 3 point land and he was hitting them at a pretty good return.  (People did bitch that his shot was flat.  Love all the basketball experts :) )  Can't find the video but it was posted during his recruitment.

We also saw a video of Lindsey last summer where he was unguarded and bombing away from the perimeter. ;)

I recall the Nuri videos but he missed a great deal of them ;)

If my memory serves me correct I actually remember him hitting 10+ jumpers in a row. Maybe not from 3 land though

Mostly inside the arc.  Memories :)

Nurideen Lindsey working out
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #561 on: September 11, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
That video is all the proof I ever need not to take a practice video too seriously.   
The guy literally couldn't hit a single jump shot while he was here.   

Moose

« Reply #562 on: September 11, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »
That video is all the proof I ever need not to take a practice video too seriously.   

Not to take this into Nuri land but he didn't take that many jumpers especially inside the arc.  Outside the arc we know he was a disaster.  Inside the arc was mostly layups and real close range stuff in traffic.

Plus Nuri was rusty with taking time off.  This year he is gonna light it up :)

MCNPA

« Reply #563 on: September 11, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »

Our resident guru of Internet evals Marillac actually noted how bad Lindsey's shot looked in the video.  He was right about it.  Moe wasn't as effective as he was due to a phenomenal midrange nor outside game last season.  His outside game didn't really start improving until seasons end.  Don't think Orlando will have to light it up from outside to match Moe's numbers.  Fwiw, I think Moe will be a very good outside shooter when all is said and done.  His form has improved a ton.

« Reply #564 on: September 11, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »
How about a video of him hitting a couple of free throws in a row?

« Reply #565 on: September 11, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »
Who would you compare Orlando to?

Give me a taller Brownlee and we are cooking!

He's a bit like Brownlee in that he operates out of the high post and his build is (maybe WAS similar since Orlando has trimmed some weight) like Brownlee's.  I think Orlando has a good amount more pro potential, though.  When Orlando has his motor on, he's a bit more athletic and explosive than Brownlee and also one of the main differences is Orlando's passing ability.  The consistency with which Orlando plays with his motor on will need to improve from JUCO to high major level, though. Orlando is probably going to end up being a better rebounder as well.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #566 on: September 12, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »
Thank you

« Reply #567 on: September 12, 2012, 08:13:43 AM »

He's a bit like Brownlee in that he operates out of the high post and his build is (maybe WAS similar since Orlando has trimmed some weight) like Brownlee's.  I think Orlando has a good amount more pro potential, though.  When Orlando has his motor on, he's a bit more athletic and explosive than Brownlee and also one of the main differences is Orlando's passing ability.  The consistency with which Orlando plays with his motor on will need to improve from JUCO to high major level, though. Orlando is probably going to end up being a better rebounder as well.

Sounds like Reggie Jessie II

« Reply #568 on: September 12, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »

Sounds like Reggie Jessie II

No offense to Reggie, but if the brother got an inch between the floor and his feet when he jump, well that was a hella lot.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #569 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:20 AM »
True, but Choz, all things considered, he played well at SJU. Passed very well. Not just for a big man, but for anyone. Remember that backwards over the head pass in the Umass game from 98?

« Reply #570 on: September 12, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
True, but Choz, all things considered, he played well at SJU. Passed very well. Not just for a big man, but for anyone. Remember that backwards over the head pass in the Umass game from 98?

No doubt. Reggie was proto-point forward, cerebral, deft passer, had a great handle for 6'7" and was money from 15' in. All I'm sayin is he was below avg athlete for the BE.   

I know Orlando Sanchez will be a better athlete than Reggie. Whether he can do all those other things at the BE level remain to be seen.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

desco80

« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »

Thanks Theo.   You've been high on Orlando from the beginning, I remember some of your scouting reports from early in the year.   Very helpful.

How's his game offensively?  I saw those Monroe playoff games, but most of his buckets were around the rim... how is he from 15 feet out?   Can he be a solid pick and pop partner for D'angelo? 
Brownlee and Hardy had that going nicely two years ago.   

paultzman

« Reply #572 on: October 24, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »

“@Raczok: @NYPost_Brazille Is Orlando Sanchez a senior or Junior? Thx Zach”

“@NYPost_Brazille: @Raczok junior”

“@Raczok: @NYPost_Brazille Thanks, conflicting info. Lenn Robbins reported as a senior.”

Hopefully this implies he has two years of eligibility. Can SJU staff clarify?

crgreen

« Reply #573 on: October 24, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »

“@Raczok: @NYPost_Brazille Thanks, conflicting info. Lenn Robbins reported as a senior.”

Still trying to figure out how he could have played JC ball last year if he already WAS a Junior (which being a SENIOR now would sorta indicate).

Wonder if he could have been enrolled at a college in the Dominican out of high school - Doesn't have to have played or even stayed,  but how JC's view eligibility and how the NCAA counts the "clock" on a kid (5 years to play 4 years) may be involved.     If that's the case, it might be a matter of having to appeal to the NCAA for an extra year - in past cases (usually involving injuries, illnes, family tradgedy, etc)  I know you can't even file the appeal till after then nominal final season of eligibilty is over.   One of Steve's last recruits, an invited Walkon named Janou Rubin ended up playing parts of SIX seasons for UCLA.   He took two medical redshirts.   He was already graduated, but stayed enrolled on his own dime in 2006 and waited the whole summer actually a month into the season  before the NCAA finally ruled in his favor.   Worth it?  That was the year UCLA lost to Fla in the NCAA title game...

paultzman

« Reply #574 on: October 24, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »

Still trying to figure out how he could have played JC ball last year if he already WAS a Junior (which being a SENIOR now would sorta indicate).

Wonder if he could have been enrolled at a college in the Dominican out of high school - Doesn't have to have played or even stayed,  but how JC's view eligibility and how the NCAA counts the "clock" on a kid (5 years to play 4 years) may be involved.     If that's the case, it might be a matter of having to appeal to the NCAA for an extra year - in past cases (usually involving injuries, illnes, family tradgedy, etc)  I know you can't even file the appeal till after then nominal final season of eligibilty is over.   One of Steve's last recruits, an invited Walkon named Janou Rubin ended up playing parts of SIX seasons for UCLA.   He took two medical redshirts.   He was already graduated, but stayed enrolled on his own dime in 2006 and waited the whole summer actually a month into the season  before the NCAA finally ruled in his favor.   Worth it?  That was the year UCLA lost to Fla in the NCAA title game...

You may be on point here CR. I really hope he is here for two years, because he is so multi talented and obviously physically mature.

« Reply #575 on: October 24, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »

Ted pestering the media again.  ; )

« Reply #576 on: October 24, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
There definitely seems to be something to this 1 year of playing eligibility for Orlando.

I am not terribly worried, he is definitely eligible this year and I think will be a terrific addition to the team.  If he does not come back next year Coach will find a big time replacement.

Gumby

« Reply #577 on: October 24, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
Why all the conjecture on Orlando's amount of eligibility?  I would think someone in the St. John's Sports Information area would already have the answer to one or two years left.  And if it is one year left, to explain the rationale.

Moose

« Reply #578 on: October 24, 2012, 11:05:48 PM »
Why all the conjecture on Orlando's amount of eligibility?  I would think someone in the St. John's Sports Information area would already have the answer to one or two years left.  And if it is one year left, to explain the rationale.

It was stated on an STJ run broadcast of Midnight Madness by an STJ employee that he was a Sr.  Then it was stated by beat writer Lenn Robbins (not that Lenn has never been wrong before).

Poison

« Reply #579 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:06 PM »

I was told he has two years left. Let's hope that's true.