Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies

Moose

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #680 on: January 02, 2013, 02:37:17 AM »
There is a chance the Red Storm could get center Orlando Sanchez cleared by the NCAA in the coming weeks, The Post has learned.

C'mon now.
How is this remotely news?
More hedges than Van Cortland Park.

But who is feeding story of optimism to Lenn?? Have to assume SJU. Why do so, if they don't feel chances are good? Just my opinion, could be wrong.

So, the SJU sent more documentation to the NCAAA on Monday, and then this store is leaked to Lenn.   My initial reaction is the staff is doing what we've been half joking about for weeks on the board; drum up publicity so the NCAA finally makes a decision.   

Thats a far more likely scenario than any ticket conspiracy.   
Or, they really think he could be eligible soon.     But I wouldn't discount this documentation and leak to media are the staff's last ditch efforts to get Orlando cleared.   

Why do they have to be drumming something up.  Leaking a story to a media outlet isn't new.  Pretty much is common practice. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #681 on: January 02, 2013, 03:21:53 AM »
There is a chance the Red Storm could get center Orlando Sanchez cleared by the NCAA in the coming weeks, The Post has learned.

C'mon now.

But who is feeding story of optimism to Lenn?? Have to assume SJU. Why do so, if they don't feel chances are good? Just my opinion, could be wrong.

So, the SJU sent more documentation to the NCAAA on Monday, and then this store is leaked to Lenn.   My initial reaction is the staff is doing what we've been half joking about for weeks on the board; drum up publicity so the NCAA finally makes a decision.   

Or, they really think he could be eligible soon.     But I wouldn't discount this documentation and leak to media are the staff's last ditch efforts to get Orlando cleared.   

Lavin is close friends with some big names in the media.  He worked at ESPN for a number of years, and that is where he'd turn if he thought the NCAA was being unjust to Sanchesz.  I doubt he'd turn to Lenn Robbins of the POST to drum up media attention.  The news was leaked to Lenn by someone wishing to get the info out to the fans.

« Reply #682 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
ESPN's lack of play regarding Sanchez CONSIDERING Lavin's connections with ESPN is a little concerning.  There's a chance Sanchez won't be cleared and Lavin does not want this blowing up all over the national media. If there was more confidence on St. John's part, I think we'd be hearing more about this.

« Reply #683 on: January 02, 2013, 08:37:02 AM »
Uh, most peeps who follow college ball dont know Orlando Sanchez from Orlando Calrissian. Only peeps who care are the handful of brothers on this site. Bottom line, this story is not gonna make national news.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

sju89tr

« Reply #684 on: January 02, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »
Uh, most peeps who follow college ball dont know Orlando Sanchez from Orlando Calrissian. Only peeps who care are the handful of brothers on this site. Bottom line, this story is not gonna make national news.

I am not so sure about that Choz, especially now with Orlando being the last NCAA player awaiting a decision on eligibility. I am not a conspiracy theorist so I will refrain from speculating but it would have been nice for Decourcy, Vitale, Bilas, Fran etc to chime in. Robbins hasn't thrown crap on the wall for a long time so I take the news being positive.   

desco80

« Reply #685 on: January 02, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

C'mon now.

Why do they have to be drumming something up.  Leaking a story to a media outlet isn't new.  Pretty much is common practice.

Fair enough, maybe that was a bad reading of the situation on my part.  You are right that leaks happen all the time for different reasons, maybe the staff really does think he could be eligible in a few days and wanted to put some good news about the program out there.
And Marillac makes a good point; if Lavin was trying to draw spotlight to the situation he wouldn't necessarily do it thru Lenn.   

Honestly, one way or another I just hope we get to see Sanchez play soon.   Who knows how many years of eligibility he could get, or what our scholarship situation will be; but simply from a fan's perspective it would be great to see what he can do on the court.   He's gotten some pretty high praise already, including NBA talk, so it would be fun to see how good he really is.
Plus, he adds rebounding and passing; two things we need to improve on. 

desco80

« Reply #686 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
By the way, not to nitpik, but maybe somebody can help explain this, because it's curious.

Freshmen year at Monroe CC  Orlando avgs 4.3 blocks per game, sophomore year it's down to less than 2.   How does that happen?   Across the board the rest of his stats pretty much stayed the same.   Those 4.3 blocks placed him 3rd in the country for JUCOs.
Based on that freshmen year you would think we might have two of the best shot blockers in the country if Sanchez becomes eligible.   

http://monroecollegemustangs.com/news/2012/4/27/MBB_0427122910.aspx

Moose

« Reply #687 on: January 02, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »
By the way, not to nitpik, but maybe somebody can help explain this, because it's curious.

Freshmen year at Monroe CC  Orlando avgs 4.3 blocks per game, sophomore year it's down to less than 2.   How does that happen?   Across the board the rest of his stats pretty much stayed the same.   Those 4.3 blocks placed him 3rd in the country for JUCOs.
Based on that freshmen year you would think we might have two of the best shot blockers in the country if Sanchez becomes eligible.   

His sophomore year Ndour came on board.  Another frontcourt option.  I'm sure it moved Sanchez away from the basket a bit too.

« Reply #688 on: January 02, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »

It is a weird drop off. Like moose said the added front court help could have led to it. Maybe they played some cupcakes his freshmen year and he padded his total with some outliers early.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #689 on: January 02, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »

I agree 100%

« Reply #690 on: January 02, 2013, 07:37:47 PM »
I think his first name was Lando, no?

« Reply #691 on: January 02, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
I think his first name was Lando, no?

His middle name is Dee.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #692 on: January 02, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »

It is a weird drop off. Like moose said the added front court help could have led to it. Maybe they played some cupcakes his freshmen year and he padded his total with some outliers early.

It is a big drop, but he was the only guy in the middle for them his first year.  Ndour came along and gave him a different role and a chance to leave the post and expand his perimeter game.  The region 15 comp is relatively the same every year...solid but not great. 

Moose

« Reply #693 on: January 03, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »

It is a big drop, but he was the only guy in the middle for them his first year.  Ndour came along and gave him a different role and a chance to leave the post and expand his perimeter game.  The region 15 comp is relatively the same every year...solid but not great. 

Echo.......

« Reply #694 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »
Does it really matter at this point?

The team will be lucky to crack 15 or 16 wins this season and he will play at St. John's for about a month and a half

lihoop

« Reply #695 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »
we need Primo and he needs us.
It would make for a better season than what has happened so far.
If he gets two years we will be in good shape.  If he is declared a senior
then we should let him play so that he can get noticed and either go pro
in the NBA or overseas.

« Reply #696 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »
If he's declared a senior, all he is going to do is take minutes away from underclassmen that need them.

So instead of Garrett, Pointer, Sampson, and Obekpa getting much needed game time, I'll watch a rental player who won't even be able to get us anywhere.  No thank you.

Moose

« Reply #697 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
If he's declared a senior, all he is going to do is take minutes away from underclassmen that need them.

So instead of Garrett, Pointer, Sampson, and Obekpa getting much needed game time, I'll watch a rental player who won't even be able to get us anywhere.  No thank you.

But we're the youngest team in America. Blah blah blah blah

kjd01067

« Reply #698 on: January 03, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »

By that rationale felix should get Harrison's minutes because he needs them more to develop and will be at St. John's longer...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:39:37 AM by kjd01067 »

paultzman

« Reply #699 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »

But we're the youngest team in America. Blah blah blah blah

If I hear that idiot Crispino say that again, I am putting him on permanent mute.