• 18 replies
The Life of Kings
« on: March 05, 2008, 05:53:49 AM »
newest article of stormy waters...check it out

www.johnnyjungle.com
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: The Life of Kings
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »
The article was excellent.  I can't remember the last I read every word of an article rather just skimming through it.

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:24:04 AM »
Great read.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »
Good stuff-this kid is the real deal

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:08:01 AM »
whats so great? whats so good?

mkras99

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »

The article :)

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »

The article :)

Good grief

I found it interesting that message boards could have such an impact on perception I wonder if everyone feels the same way

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:21:15 AM »

"The suspects in question weren’t a surprise. Message boards. Sterling specifically mentions a particular site glorying in grandiose point differentials.
“They’re rooting for them to lose by 50. The recruits don’t want to put up with it.”

If that statement has some truth to it, it speaks volumes. Ive senn posts saying they want the kids to transfer, for the team to lose every game by wide margins etc. What kid would want to play for such fans?

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »

"The suspects in question weren’t a surprise. Message boards. Sterling specifically mentions a particular site glorying in grandiose point differentials.
“They’re rooting for them to lose by 50. The recruits don’t want to put up with it.”

If that statement has some truth to it, it speaks volumes. Ive senn posts saying they want the kids to transfer, for the team to lose every game by wide margins etc. What kid would want to play for such fans?

Cmon that is another excuse for Norm! If these forums carried so much weight Norm would have been fired as all three sites are pretty much in agreement that this should have happened. ST John's has always been the underdog recruiting wise, but still managed to snare some good ones. The reason no one wants to come here is it is now been a losing program for 5 years and we do not run any kind of offense. If recruits are going to these games watching us walk the ball up the court while scoring 42 points in 30 point losses why would they come? We haven't had a pro since Omar Cook and that might not even count. If these forums do carry so much weight then maybe I will diagram some plays for Norm in my posts.

(edited you used the quotes button wrong)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:43:53 AM by JJ »

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »
If these forums do carry so much weight then maybe I will diagram some plays for Norm in my posts.

there is the positive thinking that has been missing!

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »

Cmon that is another excuse for Norm! If these forums carried so much weight Norm would have been fired as all three sites are pretty much in agreement that this should have happened. ST John's has always been the underdog recruiting wise, but still managed to snare some good ones. The reason no one wants to come here is it is now been a losing program for 5 years and we do not run any kind of offense. If recruits are going to these games watching us walk the ball up the court while scoring 42 points in 30 point losses why would they come? We haven't had a pro since Omar Cook and that might not even count. If these forums do carry so much weight then maybe I will diagram some plays for Norm in my posts.

(edited you used the quotes button wrong)

If you dont think recruits,players or the coaching staffs arent monitoring these sites your mistaken IMO.Its human nature

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
well written

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 12:01:48 PM »
If these forums do carry so much weight then maybe I will diagram some plays for Norm in my posts.

there is the positive thinking that has been missing!

The sites used to be about 50 / 50 split on Norm. All the losing, transfers, and scoring droughts have turned the boards on Norm. Blaming the boards is just another in the incredible long line of excuses by Norm and his apologists! How many other coaches consistently blame his players like Norm does! If I am Justin Burrell and I hear Norm blame the fact that I am a freshman on the team scoring 60 points a game and being 11-17, what does that tell me? Seriously would anyone else blame someone who was fired 5 years ago for their current record? What is next? Is he going to blame oil prices on the Notre Dame game? The sub prime Mortgage problem for Evans free throw shooting? Global warming for Geno's lack of speed? The war in Iraq for the the fact that Mase jr dribbles like a 7 year old girl? See recruiting is not all on Norm, but the main problem is he can't coach and we are awful to watch! That is on Norm, even if he will refuse to take the blame. It is not the message boards fault he has lost 3 out of every 4 games he has ever been the head coach for!    
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:04:03 PM by we are sju »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
the forums have crazy power-- and inside information from a lot of influential people.  if kids are posting on facebook and myspace, the message boards are just another form of social networking and provide information about what a players should expect.  just like you'd check the message boards or conversations about your future college, or you might check some message boards about a restaurant, or if there are industry specific message boards, you check about your future company.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
It seems that many on the sites are clinging onto the quote about SJU and academics. The way I interpreted this was we aren't getting the top guys which the only talented guys are the questionable academic student athletes. I don't think this should be the focal point of criticism because its not the focus of the article at all.

I agree we aren't Princeton nor do I think anyone thinks we are even Georgetown. Even Harvard lowers their standards

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
It seems that many on the sites are clinging onto the quote about SJU and academics. The way I interpreted this was we aren't getting the top guys which the only talented guys are the questionable academic student athletes. I don't think this should be the focal point of criticism because its not the focus of the article at all.

I agree we aren't Princeton nor do I think anyone thinks we are even Georgetown. Even Harvard lowers their standards

Anything to bash Norm and try to get a new coach here

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »
the forums have crazy power-- and inside information from a lot of influential people.  if kids are posting on facebook and myspace, the message boards are just another form of social networking and provide information about what a players should expect.  just like you'd check the message boards or conversations about your future college, or you might check some message boards about a restaurant, or if there are industry specific message boards, you check about your future company.

Fair enough. However if you were a recruit what would hold more weight with you:
a) Sam Suasage Head posting on some board that the coach sucks
b) Going to the garden and watching us walk the ball up the court and score 13 at the half, then score 42 for the game and lose by 20.
These kids aren't stupid! Who would want to play in that offense? Would you want to play in this type of offense at the Y or in the park? I wouldn't!!

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »

Fair enough. However if you were a recruit what would hold more weight with you:
b) Going to the garden and watching us walk the ball up the court and score 13 at the half, then score 42 for the game and lose by 20.
These kids aren't stupid! Who would want to play in that offense? Would you want to play in this type of offense at the Y or in the park? I wouldn't!!

the writer basically echoed your thoughts wasju but the negativity doesn't help matters but like Matt said the negativity is justifiable to a degree
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:22:23 PM by JJ »

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »

the writer basically echoed your thoughts wasju but the negativity doesn't help matters but like Matt said the negativity is justifiable to a degree

JJ
I just feel that instead of thinking up all these many reasons why he can't succeed, Norm should be busy you know drawing up A PLAY.... It would be a start. Maybe from there devise an offense. Besides, the losing and pitiful offense the excuses are what annoys me the most. Especially considering up until this year he basically has gotten a free ride in the press.
For the record I wan't criticizing the article, just the excuse of the boards as a recruiting deterent.