@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies
Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »
Im not ready to push the panic button. Were still in play for sampson and obekpa. We need to land 1 of them and I believe were a bubble team next year at the very least. If we land both, sweet 16.

WTF is Sampson waiting on? Committ or get off the pot kid. Lavin, get on the bench this Saturday. HUGE publicity, and this kids signs right there.
it would be huge publicity.z i don't think it happens but I'll be at the garden early just in case the 1% chance it happens so I can give him a standing O

MJ, at this point I think it has to happen.  Would be an absolute HUGE story, I dont care if he yaks on the court. ESPN would be all over it, give them a heads up its happening. Whoa boy, shit turns around real fast
and the end of the schedule sets up nice travel wise. He's own the back pages. Well until Linsanity begins on sunday.

You never know but I'll continue to prepare for the worst and hope for the best

redslope

« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:13 PM »
Im not ready to push the panic button. Were still in play for sampson and obekpa. We need to land 1 of them and I believe were a bubble team next year at the very least. If we land both, sweet 16.

WTF is Sampson waiting on? Committ or get off the pot kid. Lavin, get on the bench this Saturday. HUGE publicity, and this kids signs right there.
it would be huge publicity.z i don't think it happens but I'll be at the garden early just in case the 1% chance it happens so I can give him a standing O

MJ, at this point I think it has to happen.  Would be an absolute HUGE story, I dont care if he yaks on the court. ESPN would be all over it, give them a heads up its happening. Whoa boy, shit turns around real fast

if you are looking for it to happen on ESPN, you willmiss it.  Hint--watch it happen on CBS

« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »
I read these threads day in and day night and all  I see is bitching and moaning.  I am not calling any one out but in all reality of u you guys complaining do any of you guys have ties to the program?  If you did then I am sure your complaints have some backing.  Howevevever if not, than why question a coach who has dominated the recruiting circuit for his entire life?  We have had a bad year off the court but if u listen to commentators who do a ton of research every game they all say the same thing.  This team is talented and Lavin will bring in great recruits.  It's one thing to be mad about losing but the fact is this school is in  much better hands with this staff and core group than we had in 10 years.  Yeah last year was fun but do we really want to see a team be good every 10 years and lose in first round?  Ther is a ton of talent out there and Lavin will find it.  If he feels he can sign five legit  kids why doubt him?  One year of losing with the group is nothing compared to what they will become next yr and beyond.  I am no expert but being a former student athlete and friends still tied to the program we r in good position to land top talent who WILL be eligible.

« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »

if you are looking for it to happen on ESPN, you willmiss it.  Hint--watch it happen on CBS

Thats what I meant, National TV

jsk

« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2012, 11:13:02 PM »
I read these threads day in and day night and all  I see is bitching and moaning.  I am not calling any one out but in all reality of u you guys complaining do any of you guys have ties to the program?  If you did then I am sure your complaints have some backing.  Howevevever if not, than why question a coach who has dominated the recruiting circuit for his entire life?  We have had a bad year off the court but if u listen to commentators who do a ton of research every game they all say the same thing.  This team is talented and Lavin will bring in great recruits.  It's one thing to be mad about losing but the fact is this school is in  much better hands with this staff and core group than we had in 10 years.  Yeah last year was fun but do we really want to see a team be good every 10 years and lose in first round?  Ther is a ton of talent out there and Lavin will find it.  If he feels he can sign five legit  kids why doubt him?  One year of losing with the group is nothing compared to what they will become next yr and beyond.  I am no expert but being a former student athlete and friends still tied to the program we r in good position to land top talent who WILL be eligible.

Nice commentary RDSTR25. I agree!

Marillac

« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2012, 12:21:32 AM »

Good post!
Lavin landed a top 100 PF in his first month two years ago.  I'm more than confident he can do the same after two years of recruting.  A top 100 big man puts us in the Sweet 16 IMO when you factor in Jamal Branch.  But Lav will do more than just one player. 

« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2012, 01:17:26 AM »
I'm not much of a bitch and moaner myself but our hardcore fanbase has earned every right in the world to b and m.  We sucked to all hell for ten years.  We got good for ONE year.  Now this season we have returned to major suckatude and our savior got cancer.  Those are the facts.  Talented players not withstanding.   

If venting in this, the proper forum for it, keeps our breathren from jumping off the Brooklyn bridge or the Taffner building then show some understanding and let them have it.  If it offends some of our glass half full types,  then so be it.

Jet fans we are not.

Marillac

« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2012, 01:35:27 AM »
I'm not much of a bitch and moaner myself but our hardcore fanbase has earned every right in the world to b and m.  We sucked to all hell for ten years.  We got good for ONE year.  Now this season we have returned to major suckatude and our savior got cancer.  Those are the facts.  Talented players not withstanding.   

If venting in this, the proper forum for it, keeps our breathren from jumping off the Brooklyn bridge or the Taffner building then show some understanding and let them have it.  If it offends some of our glass half full types,  then so be it.

Jet fans we are not.

What did you expect this year?  It was going to be ugly regardless of of Lavin did...Norm guaranteed that by having NINE seniors in one class and leaving a lone upperclassman, Stith, that didn't belong in this conference. 

We have such an insanely talented core of players receiving major minutes.  We need a point guard and a big man so bad, it's not funny.  Lavin got a point guard, the #51 player in the 2011 class.  Lav's working on a big man, a shooter, and some depth now.  What has ever done a recruiter that would suggest that he can't deliver top talent for us now?  He signed a top 100 PF in his first month on the job in 2010.  He signed a top 3 class for 2011--yeah, two kids weren't eligible.  He signed 4-5 top 10 classes at UCLA.   

No matter what happened THIS season, we were not going to win.  I don't get the b'itching and moaning.  Lav told us he's signig at least four players by April.  B'itching and moaning on a public forum only makes us look like a very unattractive situation.  Look at the fans at UNLV and SDSU...they are so optimistic and all over the recruits.  It makes me sick that our fans can't see past this and KU fans are already posting pictures of Sampson wearing a #14 KU jersey. 

If we lose next season, b'itch and moan all you want.  Doing it now willy only hurt our recruting. 

« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2012, 01:35:43 AM »
I'm not much of a bitch and moaner myself but our hardcore fanbase has earned every right in the world to b and m.

You're entitled to your own opinion about the status of the program. But what good does it do bitch and moan? You may think that this is the proper place to vent. To an extent you're right. But there are some recruits who look at message boards. A recruit could be reading all these "the sky is falling" posts, and baseless rumors of Lavin not returning, it's not going to help our program any. Even other fans see some of the stuff posted on here, it sheds a bad light on our program.

« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Between the "Power of the Post" thread and everyone continually saying that people should not be negative becuase "recruits read this site" I have decided to embrace this concept.
1. My sources tell me Noel and Muhammad are coming to SJU it is a lock
2. Sources also tell me the Wilpons are selling the Mets
3. Sources tell me Scarlett Johanson and Kate Upton want to have a three way with me and my wife is ok with it.
Hey if you guys are convinced negative posts can influence things maybe positive posts can too. ::)

« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
What did you expect this year?

I expected us to be somewhat better than this and for us to improve, not decline,  as the season went on.  My expectations were predicated on Hollywood being our coach and our star and backup point guards staying with us the whole year. Sillly me.  I give myself a pass.

I don't get the b'itching and moaning.

I explained it to you already.  We stunk forever.  Our eager fanbase got a taste of goodness and really liked it.  Now this (temporary?) return to stink is putting them in a funk.

B'itching and moaning on a public forum only makes us look like a very unattractive situation.

I think you are grossly overestimating the effect that fanboard posting has on recruiting.

Look at the fans at UNLV and SDSU...they are so optimistic and all over the recruits.

Unlv is 22 - 5 and SDS is 20 - 5.  We are 10 - 16.  What is your point?

It makes me sick that our fans can't see past this and KU fans are already posting pictures of Sampson wearing a #14 KU jersey.

???See above.   

Doing it now willy only hurt our recruting.

I don't do it.  But it won't.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:15:22 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
A recruit could be reading all these "the sky is falling" posts, and baseless rumors of Lavin not returning,

I think that these two types of posting are completely different things and should not be lumped together.  The former is normal "just fans being fans" and the latter perhaps should not be posted without verification.

desco80

« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »
I think Carmine makes a good point about people overrating the effect message boards have on recruiting.  The kids know we are fans ranting.
The kids want 1) Coaches who will make them pros    2) Playing time    3) Chance at NCAA success    4) Girls, social scene, and other miscellaneous depending on the kid.   

In the big scheme of things I think fan posts have less effect on recruiting then if it rains the day they visit campus.

And Marillac, I also think you're giving the posters for other team's forums way too much credit.   When things are going good we're just as optimistic as they are.  Look back at the threads from a year ago.  People were discussing who the one and dones would be, and predicting all sorts of success for these guys.  And other teams are just as paranoid when a sniff of bad news come along.   The posters on UK boards are constantly having breakdowns about Cal going to coach the Raptors, or whoever the latest rumor is.   And the UCONN fan base is completely off their meds lately.   They have more rumors swirling around amongst them then even we do. 

Every fan base gets paranoid at the hint of bad news, and overestimates/celebrates good news.   We're not unique.
With that said - I'll stick to my premise of late; while I don't think recruits give a crap what we say on here ... it doesn't hurt to keep certain thoughts to ourselves during this crucial recruiting/signing period.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:38:10 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
A recruit could be reading all these "the sky is falling" posts, and baseless rumors of Lavin not returning,

I think that these two types of posting are completely different things and should not be lumped together.  The former is normal "just fans being fans" and the latter perhaps should not be posted without verification.

Well, I lump them together because often they come from the same posters.

« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
SJU's last game at the Garden is against Notre Dame (2/25) and is carried on ESPN2. If Lavin - who has a flair for the dramatic - decided to return on that occasion it would bring a broad smile to his former colleagues at ESPN and extensive coverage on the ultimate sports channel. There's only one game left in the regular season after that at Pitt and our appearance in the BE tournament is likely to be short-lived. So - it might just be manageable for him at that point.

« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »
I saw Coach Dunlap sitting in Marillac this afternoon by himself drinking orange juice.

Random observation.

« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
I saw Coach Dunlap sitting in Marillac this afternoon by himself drinking orange juice.

Random observation.

Tropicana?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

DFF6

« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »

Random observation.

If you said Dunlap was sitting WITH Marillac this afternoon...., that would have been newsworthy.   ;)

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »

Random observation.

Tropicana?

Nah, he ain't drinkin' that brazilian stuff.  It's all American Florida's Natural for him.

« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »
I think it was Minute Maid.