Kool aid

desco80

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:14 PM »
He's a pulp man.   No question.

LJSA

« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
Quick, someone start a rumor that the sighting signifies that he's leaving us for a Florida school.

« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
Quick, someone start a rumor that the sighting signifies that he's leaving us for a Florida school.

LOL  ;D

desco80

« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »

OMG OMG!@

Breaking Rumor:   Donovan and Norm are trying to steal Dunlap from us by sending fresh squeezed juice!

« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
We have such an insanely talented core of players receiving major minutes.  We need a point guard and a big man so bad, it's not funny.  Lavin got a point guard, the #51 player in the 2011 class.  Lav's working on a big man, a shooter, and some depth now.  What has ever done a recruiter that would suggest that he can't deliver top talent for us now?  He signed a top 100 PF in his first month on the job in 2010.  He signed a top 3 class for 2011--yeah, two kids weren't eligible.  He signed 4-5 top 10 classes at UCLA.

Marillac, I don't think anybody is doubting Lavin's recruiting ability.  I think what is concerning most fans, including myself, is how there is virtually nobody left out there.  When you really dive into the recruiting rankings, there are only a handful of impact recruits left.  And if our team misses out on Sampson and Obekpa, then we are in some serious trouble.

Contrary to most fans on this board, I don't think St. John's just needs one or two more pieces.  Yes, landing Branch will address our point guard problem.  Having a nice three man guard rotation of Branch, Harrison, and Greene will be very solid for them next year.  But as of right now, we do not have a front court presence at all.  Harkless is a special talent, but he is not meant to be banging elbows down low.  And God's Gift is not meant to play more than 10 minutes at the Big East level.  So this staff is legitimately going to have to bring in two or three frontcourt players to help get this team over the hump next season.  And I just don't see those players out there at the current moment.  Granted, I'm not familiar with the JC players out there (outside of Sanchez) but there just doesn't seem to be a lot left.

« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »
I think Carmine makes a good point about people overrating the effect message boards have on recruiting.  The kids know we are fans ranting.
The kids want 1) Coaches who will make them pros    2) Playing time    3) Chance at NCAA success    4) Girls, social scene, and other miscellaneous depending on the kid.   

In the big scheme of things I think fan posts have less effect on recruiting then if it rains the day they visit campus.

And Marillac, I also think you're giving the posters for other team's forums way too much credit.   When things are going good we're just as optimistic as they are.  Look back at the threads from a year ago.  People were discussing who the one and dones would be, and predicting all sorts of success for these guys.  And other teams are just as paranoid when a sniff of bad news come along.   The posters on UK boards are constantly having breakdowns about Cal going to coach the Raptors, or whoever the latest rumor is.   And the UCONN fan base is completely off their meds lately.   They have more rumors swirling around amongst them then even we do. 

Every fan base gets paranoid at the hint of bad news, and overestimates/celebrates good news.   We're not unique.
With that said - I'll stick to my premise of late; while I don't think recruits give a crap what we say on here ... it doesn't hurt to keep certain thoughts to ourselves during this crucial recruiting/signing period.

Tremendous post.

« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
There is nothing wrong with bringing in a couple of big jucos. Justin Brownlee was a key factor in helping us get back to prominence. Even if it was just for one year.

Would have been 2 years if norm gave Dwight and brownlee PT and didn't play favoritism with Dj Paris Sean etc
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »
I'm not much of a bitch and moaner myself but our hardcore fanbase has earned every right in the world to b and m.

You're entitled to your own opinion about the status of the program. But what good does it do bitch and moan? You may think that this is the proper place to vent. To an extent you're right. But there are some recruits who look at message boards. A recruit could be reading all these "the sky is falling" posts, and baseless rumors of Lavin not returning, it's not going to help our program any. Even other fans see some of the stuff posted on here, it sheds a bad light on our program.

A recruit doesn't need to come message board to hear rumors about lavin, trust me any potential recruit has heard the all the rumors plenty of times in person

O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

Marillac

« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
Expected Lavin back today.  If not today to start a 3 game home stand then probably not during the regular season.

« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »
Expected Lavin back today.  If not today to start a 3 game home stand then probably not during the regular season.

While being interviewed on CBS during the game, Lav said everything is on go to come back next season.

« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
does anyone find it uncomfortable or odd that Lavin talks about UCLA a little too much? he is OUR coach.  i would think that he'd talk about the greatness and history of our program or even our great city. and if he can't, then he should talk about his vision for the future.   he was at UCLA almost a decade ago.  even Mo at the post-game conference said the team wanted to win it for Lavin because of the way he was treated there.  what do these kids know about that?  they were barely teenagers when that all went down.  maybe i'm being a little too sensitive, but i'm tired of it.

Lavin, YOU ARE ST. JOHN'S COACH NOW!

« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
does anyone find it uncomfortable or odd that Lavin talks about UCLA a little too much? he is OUR coach.  i would think that he'd talk about the greatness and history of our program or even our great city. and if he can't, then he should talk about his vision for the future.   he was at UCLA almost a decade ago.  even Mo at the post-game conference said the team wanted to win it for Lavin because of the way he was treated there.  what do these kids know about that?  they were barely teenagers when that all went down.  maybe i'm being a little too sensitive, but i'm tired of it.

Well he did spend the majority of his coaching career there. He's loyal to STJ it seems but still has a soft spot for UCLA, which to me is understandable.

« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »

You are being a little too sensitive.  Lav is just being respectful to the opponent.  He is very complimentary to everyone we play.  With his past connection to UCLA and Coach Wooden, as well as their incredible history, he has no choice but to talk about it.

« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »

A little too sensitive. Part of what Lavin is selling recruits is what he did at UCLA and all the guys he put in the NBA while at UCLA. I respect him for not trashing them after the way they treated him.

Coach is a stand up guy and he has a lot of friends there ( and some of those former players come to our campus now )

I have no problem with it

paultzman

« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
On point MJ!

« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
Anybody know where Lavin is headed after tonight's DePaul game?

boo3

« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
Anyone else find it strange that Lavin is tweeting random stuff about Keady 1hr and 15 minutes before a game?  I would think he'd be going over stuff with team/staff, no?

Just caught me as odd.

« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »
Anyone else find it strange that Lavin is tweeting random stuff about Keady 1hr and 15 minutes before a game?  I would think he'd be going over stuff with team/staff, no?

Just caught me as odd.

Not really. It doesn't really take that long to send a tweet.

Mike

« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
It's amazing to me that there are people on these boards that will find the littlest things to complain about.