@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

derk

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #440 on: June 30, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
We're operating on a heady level nowadays and most of our thinking is still mired in outdated convictions of what it takes to rise to the top.

Time to sit back and marvel at a master who knows how to get us there.

Exactly. This is ALL new to us. Sit back and enjoy.

« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
We're operating on a heady level nowadays and most of our thinking is still mired in outdated convictions of what it takes to rise to the top.

Time to sit back and marvel at a master who knows how to get us there.

Exactly. This is ALL new to us. Sit back and enjoy.

« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
When we finally figure out what Coach Lavin is doing and why he is doing it we can jump all over him for not doing it sooner or better.

« Reply #443 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
Steve Lavin ‏@STJCoachLavin
Class of 2012 will be comprised of 8 prospects who will join our 5 returnees making up a squad of 13 Johnnies. Gradually building momentum!

Just to clarify the squad of 13:
The prospects are:
1) Branch - PG
2) Sampson - PF/ SF
3) Sanchez - PF/C
4) Obekpa - C/PF
5) Balamou- SG
6) Jones- SF/ PF
7) Bourgault- SF/SG
8) Wood? - SG
Hooper- SF is for the class of 2013

The Returnees are:
1) Greene- PG/SG
2) Harrison- SG/
3) Achiuwa - PF/ C
4) Garrett- SF/ PF
5) Pointer- SF

Is this basically correct?
If so then from a depth standpoint we look very solid.  There aren't many holes. Personally I would be a little concerned if Branch got hurt and was not able to play. He is the only pure point on our roster. I know others can play the position (Greene and Harrison) but he is the only pure point we have. Also is Wood eligible? Is he one of the Eight prospects or is the tweet referring to someone else?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:15:57 AM by ghostzapper »

crgreen

« Reply #444 on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
Steve Lavin ‏@STJCoachLavin
Class of 2012 will be comprised of 8 prospects who will join our 5 returnees making up a squad of 13 Johnnies. Gradually building momentum!

Just to clarify the squad of 13:
The prospects are:
1) Branch - PG
2) Sampson - PF/ SF
3) Sanchez - PF/C
4) Obekpa - C/PF
5) Balamou- SG
6) Jones- SF/ PF
7) Bourgault- SF/SG
8) Wood? - SG
Hooper- SF is for the class of 2013

The Returnees are:
1) Greene- PG/SG
2) Harrison- SG/
3) Achiuwa - PF/ C
4) Garrett- SF/ PF
5) Pointer- SF

Is this basically correct?
If so then from a depth standpoint we look very solid.  There aren't many holes. Personally I would be a little concerned if Branch got hurt and was not able to play. He is the only pure point on our roster. I know others can play the position (Greene and Harrison) but he is the only pure point we have. Also is Wood eligible? Is he one of the Eight prospects or is the tweet referring to someone else?

Re:  PG help behind Branch - don't forget we find that out early in the season, as Branch isn't eligible till December.   Greene will be starting  for the first half of the season, and we'll certainly get a look at D'lo handling.   Anyone know if Balomou can play some "doomsday" point?    I personally think Amir might be  a 3rd or 4th string option.   In the past, Lavin has gone to guys like Rico Hines and SF/PF  Dijon Thompson as backups when injuries thinned the PG herd - and still made it to the sweet 16...

kjd01067

« Reply #445 on: July 02, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »
Yes except hooper (if he is on scholarship) will take up a scholly even though he has to sit a year which means that the verbal by Jones indicates Wood will not qualify

« Reply #446 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
I wonder who will be the backup to phil green until branch becomes eligible in late december?  should d'angelo fill in some or maybe balamou or bourgault can contribute on a limited basis......

Chilleb

« Reply #447 on: July 02, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »
Bottom line I've been saying this forever now and we need another guard. Outside of that lookin pretty solid . A second scoring option wouldn't hurt either when looking to get that guard.

MCNPA

« Reply #448 on: July 02, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
I wonder who will be the backup to phil green until branch becomes eligible in late december?  should d'angelo fill in some or maybe balamou or bourgault can contribute on a limited basis......

I think it will be Harrison.  Bourgault can also play SG no problem.  We might be short on PG's prior to Big East play, but we'll still have both Greene and D'Lo who can play PG.  branch still the key as floor general to lead us into the post-season.  Greene will get a lot of time at both spots.  I think Greene is really underrated and is really versatile.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:05:17 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
Bottom line I've been saying this forever now and we need another guard. Outside of that lookin pretty solid . A second scoring option wouldn't hurt either when looking to get that guard.

Chille, Balamou looked like a pretty good scorer going to the hole and in midrange.  Wouldn't surprise me if his game really picked up.

crgreen

« Reply #450 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »

Anyone know the rule on commenting on verbals received AFTER the LOI deadline?  I know coaches can't comment on players till they sign their LOIs, but Obekpa and Jones have both committed after the deadline, there ARE no LOI's for them.   At what point is the coach free to discuss THESE recruits?  Is it after a Granit in Aid is completed?   Or does it have to wait till they're enrolled?

« Reply #451 on: July 02, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
plus can or will opepka and/or  jones attend summer school this month and get the benefit of the limited, though extremely valuable, coaching available?

« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
Until Branch is eligible our two primary ball handlers will be Greene and Then D'Lo. I liked what I saw from Felix at is8 overall but one thing I noted he needed a lot of work on was his handle. He didn't really look to take anyone off the dribble, I don't think we'll see him anywhere near the point save for the most dire of situations

« Reply #453 on: July 02, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »
plus can or will opepka and/or  jones attend summer school this month and get the benefit of the limited, though extremely valuable, coaching available?
Maybe we can find out who their 3rd grade teachers were too? ;)

paultzman

« Reply #454 on: July 03, 2012, 07:19:28 AM »
“@STJCoachLavin: #STJbb Youth Movement continues as 2012-13 roster will have 11 underclassmen on scholarship. Likely youngest team in the country next season”

Perhaps preparing us to be patient.

« Reply #455 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
“@STJCoachLavin: #STJbb Youth Movement continues as 2012-13 roster will have 11 underclassmen on scholarship. Likely youngest team in the country next season”

11?  I thought with Jones on board (exchange him for Wood at this point) that means 12 underclassmen and 1 senior-Gift.  No?

Moose

« Reply #456 on: July 03, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

11?  I thought with Jones on board (exchange him for Wood at this point) that means 12 underclassmen and 1 senior-Gift.  No?

Isn't Sanchez as a junior (and 24 yrs old to boot) considered upper classmen?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #457 on: July 03, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »

Correct myself, forgot Sanchez will be a junior thus qualifying him as a "Upperclassman."

The on schollie thing is interesting, does this mean Hooper is not taking up a schollie and perhaps Darrick qualifies?

DFF6

« Reply #458 on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

Correct myself, forgot Sanchez will be a junior thus qualifying him as a "Upperclassman."

The on schollie thing is interesting, does this mean Hooper is not taking up a schollie and perhaps Darrick qualifies?

This may have been mentioned on Hooper's thread, but could Hooper earn an academic scholarship without it going against the schollies allocated to the BB team?

« Reply #459 on: July 03, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »

This may have been mentioned on Hooper's thread, but could Hooper earn an academic scholarship without it going against the schollies allocated to the BB team?

Not 100% sure.  But I think the roster will include Hooper on schollie and Wood not at SJU.