@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies

desco80

Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #540 on: September 22, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
A follow up article.  Says Sir Dom could play some PG too!

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkcolleges&id=4583&city=newyork

Dom dribbling?
Uh oh boy.

Sounds like coach was talking about having Dom push the ball up the court after a defensive rebound, not really running the pg spot per se.   Because I'll be honest.. Dom dribbling scares me too.   
But having somebody else push it lets D'angelo float to the wing...  not a bad spot for him to be when we run a break. 

« Reply #541 on: September 22, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
A follow up article.  Says Sir Dom could play some PG too!

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkcolleges&id=4583&city=newyork

Dom dribbling?
Uh oh boy.

If he plays PG that'll be the most drastic improvement in ball handling in the history of College Bball

paultzman

« Reply #542 on: September 22, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Steve Lavin says St. John's is 'deepest team' he's coached - http://t.co/CqYJncKR http://t.co/AU9CQMwV via @newyorkpost #stjbb”

MCNPA

« Reply #543 on: September 23, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
I don't know why people are so afraid of Sir'Dom handling?  He really is a good slasher with the ball in his hands and was by no means a turnover machine.  Sure he needed some work tightening it up, but if he has really improved that aspect in the offseason, he can be a dangerous weapon. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:32:02 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #544 on: September 23, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
I never viewed DJ or Brownlee as "playing pg" even though they routinely pushed the ball up after grabbing their own rebound. 

« Reply #545 on: September 23, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
I feel like Dom has been getting a bad rap here lately.  Could his handle get better....yes!  But I'm sure the staff worked with him and I highly doubt Lavin would say something like that in a interview, without being 100% confident in Dom's ability to handle the ball.

Lets not forget with the added depth, Dom is going to play his natural position as a 3.  He won't have to shoot as much and will be able to do more slashing.  And most importantly....be our best perimeter defender and lock down teams best scorer!

sju89tr

« Reply #546 on: September 23, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »
I feel like Dom has been getting a bad rap here lately.  Could his handle get better....yes!  But I'm sure the staff worked with him and I highly doubt Lavin would say something like that in a interview, without being 100% confident in Dom's ability to handle the ball.

Lets not forget with the added depth, Dom is going to play his natural position as a 3.  He won't have to shoot as much and will be able to do more slashing.  And most importantly....be our best perimeter defender and lock down teams best scorer!

I can see Greene Branch Pointer Garrett and D Lo all having the ball in their hands running the offense. The roster is so interchangeable I don't think we even use a full time point guard per se. The assists are going to be distributed. If D Lo does and can play the point with Branch on the floor at same time, its going to be dangerous for opponents.

Moose

« Reply #547 on: September 23, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
I don't know why people are so afraid of Sir'Dom handling?  He really is a good slasher with the ball in his hands and was by no means a turnover machine.  Sure he needed some work tightening it up, but if he has really improved that aspect in the offseason, he can be a dangerous weapon. 

When Dom dribbled last year the whole building cringed.  If you didn't see that come sit in my better seats :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #548 on: September 23, 2012, 11:17:30 AM »
I never viewed DJ or Brownlee as "playing pg" even though they routinely pushed the ball up after grabbing their own rebound. 

If that was the case then he would have said pushing the ball up the court after a rebound and not playing PG
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #549 on: September 23, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »

When Dom dribbled last year the whole building cringed.  If you didn't see that come sit in my better seats :)
If they do another reseating Moose is going to practically be in celebrity row. He's almost there now

paultzman

« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Here's @GregLogan1's @newsday story on @STJCoachLavin from @STJ_Dribble: http://t.co/K9Q0MDoa #stjbb”

Great pub yesterday!

« Reply #551 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
Awesome publicity. Lavin just gives us so much more juice than Norm. I never remember having such off-season/preseason coverage before.

You can tell what kind of bond Lavin has with his players, they all seem really excited to play for him. Lets hope it gives them the extra step they need to make this a successful season.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #552 on: September 23, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
Lavin us back and it is great for him and the program.  I'm sure he'd anxious and excited.  I will say it again, this team is going to surprise a lot of people this season.  This might be the deepest team in SJU history.  Lavin has stocked it with talent and it is only the beginning.  Great things happening to this program.

« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
about amir steve says in a week you "can see his body take a better shape"....don't minor league teams have a strength and conditioning coach for their elite prospects?

« Reply #554 on: September 23, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »
Conditioning for a baseball pitcher and a big east basketball player are very different - just ask David Wells lol

desco80

« Reply #555 on: September 23, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
about amir steve says in a week you "can see his body take a better shape"....don't minor league teams have a strength and conditioning coach for their elite prospects?

And who's body hardens up in a week?    I think coach might be blowing smoke on that one.   

gman

« Reply #556 on: September 23, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »

I never played baseball, but I would imagine strength and condition programs are very different for a pitcher and a basketball small forward.

« Reply #557 on: September 23, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »

Dom got in trouble because he was in hyper mode when he had the ball on a break and often forced the issue.  If he justs get more under control he will be better.  As far as half court O is concerned he has a good eye and has the height to pass over smaller defenders.  Let's face it, short of catastrophic injuries, or because Lavin wants Dom to d up the opposing point, I don't think we'll see a tremendous ammount of Dom playing the point.  Don't forget Lavin's all about having players that are able to play multiple positions to give him flexibility to react to, or create, game situations.

sju89tr

« Reply #558 on: September 23, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
Conditioning for a baseball pitcher and a big east basketball player are very different - just ask David Wells lol

or CC Sabathia

MCNPA

« Reply #559 on: September 23, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »

And who's body hardens up in a week?    I think coach might be blowing smoke on that one.

Probably exaggerating but he could mean just stamina-wise.  Baseball requires an athleticism level far different from bball.