Syracuse - Game Thread

• 260 replies

Tiznow

Re: Syracuse - Game Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
Yesterday was brutal to witness, but not nearly as bad as it was in 2009 when Flynn and his crew riled up their fans early with a 39-18 half time lead.  There was no hope during and after that demolition.

This time the team fought back and gave them a glimpse of what is coming. 

Yesterday was a typical dismal performance by the fan base that stayed home.  The Johnny fans that showed up were as visible and as vocal as they could be.  Many of us did as much as we do to annoy and even unnerve the people wearing Orange.  It was much more crowded than 2009 with loads more Orange, but the out gunned Johhnies showed some fight this time.

I hope they are scheduled with a home and home next before they head south.

« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2012, 11:36:14 PM »
My heart goes out to those of you good fellas that suffered through yesterdays blowout.  I know how discouraging it is to take on our home floor between the blowout,  the highlight reel dunks,  the players dancing, prancing and strutting for their fans,  all the Orange faithful acting loud and having a grand ole time.  I was at the Johnny Flynn fiasco and it was just brutal.

I can't believe they sold the place out.  That's quite a showing by them.

Better times lie ahead and I truly believe that in time your loyalty will be justly rewarded.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:12:18 AM by carmineabbatiello »

redslope

« Reply #242 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »
turday at the Garden was; it was worse 7/8 years ago when we had been hit by the Pittsburgh incident and had to play them with mostly walk ons.  i was there that day also in a major snow storm and the Garden let the idiots down from the 200/300 levels and the drunken abuse was worse than anything I have ever observed at the Garden--heck they made the Conn people look like saints.

I agree with KoB.  I am really pissed when I see 8 seats in the row in front of me filled with SUNYcuse fans.  our ticket people should be noting who is buying for resale and give them seats next year in the back rows.  these "season ticket holders" don't give a damn about our school; they only want to make a buck.

how about this for an idea--as a gift to alumni who give a certain amount to the annual fund, give them 2 tickets to an Garden game; preferably a rivalry game so there are none for resale.  Maybe this might prod them to come to other games

« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »
It's hard for the school to do anything to people who re-sell their seats when they not only condone it but encourage it.

http://www.redstormsports.com/genrel/121311aaa.html

sju89tr

« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2012, 01:09:21 PM »
No way should St Johns put Syracuse on the schedule once they bolt for ACC, same applies to Pitt. Why allow Cuse in for another vsiit to city on a home-awy when they use it for recruiting. 

derk

« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
No way should St Johns put Syracuse on the schedule once they bolt for ACC, same applies to Pitt. Why allow Cuse in for another vsiit to city on a home-awy when they use it for recruiting.

I agree with you on the desertion  angle but they will be back playing someone, BE or not,. 

Poison

« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »

Why would they not play games on their home court?

boo3

« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »

Sometimes you act like the Syracuse version of Baldi (Iona).

Marillac

« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »

I agree with you on the desertion  angle but they will be back playing someone, BE or not,. 

This game is not a sellout if it St. John's wasn't the other team. 8-10 thousand fans were ours...although that was hard to make out with their obnoxious orange colors that stand out like nothing else and the fact that they had a lot more to make Jose about.

Syracuse v anyone in the ACC other than Duke won't draw over 11000.

Poison

« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

Sometimes you act like the Syracuse version of Baldi (Iona).

It's not our court, just because we say it is. You need to earn that. And we don't deserve it.

« Reply #250 on: February 06, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
This game is not a sellout if it St. John's wasn't the other team. 8-10 thousand fans were ours

Are you sure about these numbers?  The other estimates posted here by those in the house were 25% ( 15, 000 orange to 5,000 red ) and 5 to 1 ( 16, 500 orange to 3, 400 red ).  A 50/50 crowd against the Cuse would be a stellar showing on our part.

Tiznow

« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
They drew 8K in back to back MSG games earlier this year.  The upstate crowd watched it them on TV.

When they head south they have to decide if they want to give up a real home game during the ACC season.  I'm not sure their upstate fans even want to see NYC get a prime ACC game.  It could backfire on them. 

They will play a November / December non-league game that draws 12K. 

Hopefully, the ACC does what it did to BC and their program hits the skids.

derk

« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2012, 10:53:32 PM »

This game is not a sellout if it St. John's wasn't the other team. 8-10 thousand fans were ours...although that was hard to make out with their obnoxious orange colors that stand out like nothing else and the fact that they had a lot more to make Jose about.

There are plenty of people who will come out to see the # 2 ranked team in the country. Especially if it's scheduled properly and against a name opponent.

gman

« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »

No way we had 10000 fans there.

« Reply #254 on: February 07, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
When Cuse played Virginia Tech earlier in the year at MSG there was maybe 9,000 fans there

redslope

« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
Also take a look at the schedule Traitorcuse plays.  The best out of conference game was Florida in the Big East/SouthEast challenge.  They also played VaTech and Stanford in NIT pre season challenge.  Look at the rest of their schedule and ask yourself how many tickets they sell when they play the likes of Albany, Colgate, Bucknell, et.al.

In addition, JB will not play anyone outside of the conference once conference play starts.  Thus Traitorcuse ends up with a week off at end of January (as they had before playing us) and also at the end of February (before playing Louisville).

derk

« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
When Cuse played Virginia Tech earlier in the year at MSG there was maybe 9,000 fans there

How about if they played a BE team in Jan or Feb ?

redslope

« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2012, 01:05:24 PM »

How about if they played a BE team in Jan or Feb ?

JB and Traitorcuse will not play out of conference once league play starts so it would be before January.  Also they like a weak out of conference schedule and will play BIG 10 team in Acc challenge

« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »
This game is not a sellout if it St. John's wasn't the other team. 8-10 thousand fans were ours

Are you sure about these numbers?  The other estimates posted here by those in the house were 25% ( 15, 000 orange to 5,000 red ) and 5 to 1 ( 16, 500 orange to 3, 400 red ).  A 50/50 crowd against the Cuse would be a stellar showing on our part.
Since when does the majority of our fans even bother wearing red? I went to game with 3 friends (season ticket holders) and I was the only one wearing red. And please hold the comments about the quality of my friends as we have been season ticket holder since we were students going back almost 40 years.

« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
At least 75% of the crowd was wearing orange.  Even if everyone not wearing either red orange was our fan, we were still only, at most, 25% of the crowd.