• 72 replies
Re: NY Daily News...
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/boosters/benefits-chart.html

Thought this might make some interesting reading

redslope

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
All I know is that since 2005(and by all before that) I was treated wonderfully by the workers that were in the trenches for Red/White, but I basically did not exist in this guys eyes. I was a member in the Loughlin Society, have given my time to the school and was treated great for years and shown appreciation until the Norm years (not blaming Norm). One incident was before a game at MSG I bought a table of 10 for the pre-game and had a few SJU law grads and one was a politician from a New England state. I asked a Red/White staffer if Chris Monash or Brian could just stop by the table and say hello. Maybe take one minute. No one showed up. That was the beginning of a series of events that were pretty rude from upper athletic administration. I stopped donating after I moved to Florida and when they played U of Miami I asked about purchasing tickets to the game from SJU so I could be in a St. John's section. I was given the comeback of just buy your tickets from U of M. Thankfully I was able to get tickets from a smart staffer at St. John's and got to sit in the St. John's section. Dave, you are young, have a great site and do wonderful work covering the team. There are things you might not fully appreciate yet in the world of collegiate fundraising and if you think tickets are not part of fundraising, you are just not aware of the reality of it.

And 1--I felt the same way about him.  The staff of Red and White are always responsive but I wouldn't give you 2 cents for him. 

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
It is "corrupt" to "single out" one thief because others are doing it too? That is a road to anarchy. Someone must have had "a grudge" to come down on this thief? Where is the logic in this thinking? This guy was not cultivating goodwill for SJU by distributing tickets to friends of the university. He was not selling tickets at face value and giving the proceeds to the University. He was selling to brokers and pocketing the cash. If the facts are as indicated, no matter how friendly anyone was with this guy, what he was doing was corrupt and he should be prosecuted.

Often these tickets are given to employees by their superiors for their own use. If I gave you a gift and you chose to turn around and sell my gift than so be it.

If these tickets were intended for boosters of St. John's and he neglected to distribute it to them and sold them then yes there is a problem.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »
It is "corrupt" to "single out" one thief because others are doing it too? That is a road to anarchy. Someone must have had "a grudge" to come down on this thief? Where is the logic in this thinking? This guy was not cultivating goodwill for SJU by distributing tickets to friends of the university. He was not selling tickets at face value and giving the proceeds to the University. He was selling to brokers and pocketing the cash. If the facts are as indicated, no matter how friendly anyone was with this guy, what he was doing was corrupt and he should be prosecuted.

Often these tickets are given to employees by their superiors for their own use. If I gave you a gift and you chose to turn around and sell my gift than so be it.

If these tickets were intended for boosters of St. John's and he neglected to distribute it to them and sold them then yes there is a problem.

"Often these tickets are given to employees by their superiors for their own use. If I gave you a gift and you chose to turn around and sell my gift than so be it. "

^^  I strongly disagree with that. If I give someone company tickets to an event for their personal use, and then they turn around and scalp those tickets, I have a big problem with that.  Whether it is legal or not, It is certainly not the right thing to do. 

Poison

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »

Often these tickets are given to employees by their superiors for their own use. If I gave you a gift and you chose to turn
around and sell my gift than so be it.

What do you mean if?

pmg911

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
^^  I strongly disagree with that. If I give someone company tickets to an event for their personal use, and then they turn around and scalp those tickets, I have a big problem with that.  Whether it is legal or not, It is certainly not the right thing to do. 

Most corporations would agree with you. At most firms the employee that gave the seats out that are re-sold would get in trouble. God Forbid the person who bought the seats got into trouble or did something stupid or illegal...  MSG would be all over the corportation whose seats they were sitting in, no matter how they obtained them.

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 07:08:23 AM »

As is my understanding, those seats aren't "gifts" given to him at all.  They're given to him to distribute amongst boosters, potential donors, potential sponsors, etc.  Giving those tickets out are part of his job and he instead chose to turn around and sell them for his own financial gain.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Tha Kid

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »
I agree with PMG, theo, etc.   When you are given tickets by your employer, there is an expectation you will use them, or will give them (in some cases) to friends/clients/etc to promote goodwill for your company.

Forgetting corporations, if a relative or friend gave me tix, and instead of going I sold them for profit, I guarantee they wouldn't give me tix again and would prob be pretty miffed.

Its wrong no matter how you color it.  This dude is getting his just desserts.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »
You guys are not talking about what happened here. If I buy tickets and give them away, it's that person's right to do with them what they want. I may not like it, but that isn't the issue here.

The people who fill the bus up with gas were robbed of their seats so that Colleary could sell them for personal gain. He blamed Father Harrington on the new ticket distribution. I'm willing to bet that Harrington had nothing to do with it. We'll see.

pmg911

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »
Guys - this was an isolated indicent by one rogue employee and he was caught. There is nothing we can do about it and the school has addressed the issue.

Time to move on from this one..

Poison

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
Guys - this was an isolated indicent by one rogue employee and he was caught. There is nothing we can do about it and the school has addressed the issue.

Time to move on from this one..

I'll move on when I hear from the University directly.

desco80

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
Speaking of tickets, has anyone who's not guaranteed to get them, heard if they're receiving Big East tickets yet?

Poison

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »
Speaking of tickets, has anyone who's not guaranteed to get them, heard if they're receiving Big East tickets yet?

No, but I will post when I find out. Personally, I haven't really cared too much about the BE tickets since in most cases we're only in it for a cup of coffee. Still, Colleary knows that they are the most valuable tickets that he has access to. New teams entering the conference, a renovated MSG and the ever elusive Father Harrington have been blamed in the past.