Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

boo3

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »
I wish him nothing but the best. Hopefully he is the first , in a long line of Johnnies to go to the league under the Lavin regime.

He's grabbing the money. I would do the same most likely.  Its way too easy to sit back and second guess this decision.  I think he'll be picked between 20-30 in the upcoming draft. A team like Boston would be great. He can learn from Paul Pierce for a few years until it's his turn.

I wish Moe all the best but I so hope he doesn't get drafted by Boston.  You must not be a true NY fan if you would ever wish that upon a fellow NYer (half kidding but seriously F*ck Boston).  I will root for Moe as long as he plays for any team other than Boston (if he plays for boston, I will root for him to play great, but lose every game)

Lol...  i was speaking from a purely best case for Moe bball future.No love for Boston here. I do think Doc is a great coach. I was thinking of aging SF that Moe could learn from and PP was the first to cross my mind. I figure Boston would be picking in the range where Moe may be drafted.

I'm a NY Knicks fan, but Boston ( at least in hoops) doesn't bother as much as football or baseball.  I hate Garnett with a passion though... ;)

kjd01067

« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
I wish him nothing but the best. Hopefully he is the first , in a long line of Johnnies to go to the league under the Lavin regime.

He's grabbing the money. I would do the same most likely.  Its way too easy to sit back and second guess this decision.  I think he'll be picked between 20-30 in the upcoming draft. A team like Boston would be great. He can learn from Paul Pierce for a few years until it's his turn.

I wish Moe all the best but I so hope he doesn't get drafted by Boston.  You must not be a true NY fan if you would ever wish that upon a fellow NYer (half kidding but seriously F*ck Boston).  I will root for Moe as long as he plays for any team other than Boston (if he plays for boston, I will root for him to play great, but lose every game)

Lol...  i was speaking from a purely best case for Moe bball future.No love for Boston here. I do think Doc is a great coach. I was thinking of aging SF that Moe could learn from and PP was the first to cross my mind. I figure Boston would be picking in the range where Moe may be drafted.

I'm a NY Knicks fan, but Boston ( at least in hoops) doesn't bother as much as football or baseball.  I hate Garnett with a passion though... ;)

My hatred for boston is a blind hatred, it extends to bball, football and baseball.  I wouldn't root for a boston team if they were playing against a team of murders lol I also hate Garnett with a passion, there is a special place in hell for people that make jokes about cancer.  But I agree with you in premise, I hope Moe walks into a great situation.

desco80

« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »
Actually the lower Moe goes the better for his future getting on a team like Boston or the Spurs for example for his development. I wish him the very best with whatever decision he makes. It would have been fun to see him and Sampson play on the court together but it's definitely a win-win for St Johns either way. I just want Moe to have a nice long productive NBA career.

Speaking of teams drafting in the lower half of the 1st round; twice this year I saw lakers gm Mitch Kupcheck at one of our games and both times his notebook was open to Moe all game. 
And the first time was the CvC; well before Moe exploded onto the scene.   

« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »
Has there been an offical announcement or is this all based on what people are hearing?

paultzman

« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »
Reasonable guess is this week.

Tha Kid

« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
Lakers dont have a pick.   Id bet on boston w 2 picks in that range and ainge needing to put horses around rondo. 

Actually the lower Moe goes the better for his future getting on a team like Boston or the Spurs for example for his development. I wish him the very best with whatever decision he makes. It would have been fun to see him and Sampson play on the court together but it's definitely a win-win for St Johns either way. I just want Moe to have a nice long productive NBA career.

Speaking of teams drafting in the lower half of the 1st round; twice this year I saw lakers gm Mitch Kupcheck at one of our games and both times his notebook was open to Moe all game. 
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »
Lakers dont have a pick.   Id bet on boston w 2 picks in that range and ainge needing to put horses around rondo. 

Wouldn't Boston want a kid like Kris Joesph that is ready to compete from day one?  Ow much more time will they have with Pierce or Garnett paying at a high level.  Moe won't be ready for a few years.

Moose

« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »

Wouldn't Boston want a kid like Kris Joesph that is ready to compete from day one?  Ow much more time will they have with Pierce or Garnett paying at a high level.  Moe won't be ready for a few years.

Garnett is a UFA.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
On his "Who's in Who's Out list for underclassmen" Chad Ford lists Moe as a player who has officially declared for the draft but not yet hired an agent.
It's an INsider article but here's the gist..

IN THE DRAFT
Players who officially have declared for the 2012 NBA draft
* To preserve eligibility, player has not hired an agent

Moe Harkless, F, Fr., St. John's*
Harkless may not have been pegged as a one-and-done prospect coming out of high school, but he was among the most productive freshmen in college basketball this year. His energy level and athleticism should translate to the pros immediately. He needs a better jumper, but he's likely a mid-to-late first-round pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/page/InOut-2012/nba-draft-list

ras

« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
What does to preserve eligiblity he has not hired an agent mean? I thaught once you declare he looses eligibility . Is he just testing the water?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:35:12 PM by ras »

desco80

« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
What does to preserve eligiblity he has not hired an agent mean? I thaught once you declare he looses eligibility . Is he just testing the water?

I have no idea either.  From everything I've heard the new rule makes you decide once.  No in-and out.   So it seems pointless to not hire an agent.   

Moose

« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

He has until April 10th I beleive to come back.  The date used to be in June or something.  So long as he doesnt hire an agent the door is open.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Dan

« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »
If he came back for one more year he'd get himself in the lottery

Poison

« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
If he came back for one more year he'd get himself in the lottery

Losing Moe would be awful for both him and us. What is wrong with making an impact at the college level and at the same time preparing yourself for a career in basketball? The NBA doesn't promote the dozens of kids who wrongfully think they're ready and wind up ignored and overlooked for whatever reason.

It goes deeper than just our players. Kid have been leaving too soon for over 2 decades. The risk is not worth the reward. I saw Lavin brought Harkless to the broadcast both for CBS. Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley could have gotten hurt too. How long did they stay in college?

Poison

« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
And he's gone. Awful decision. His advisors should be held accountable. I thought SJ was through with these paper bag advisors.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:41:11 PM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #315 on: March 18, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
“@DanielJMartin_: Moe Harkless and Steve Lavin holding a press conference Monday at 2pm at MSG. Assuming it's NBA-related, obviously. #STJbb”

Poison

« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
The Fresh Four?

« Reply #317 on: March 18, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
Good luck in the NBA Moe.  It's been awesome watching him play this year and while we selfishly want him to stay and help our team next year, if this is his decision then I am behind it 100%.  It's tough to turn down that type of money.  Hopefully he has a nice, long NBA career.

Poison

« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
Good luck in the NBA Moe.  It's been awesome watching him play this year and while we selfishly want him to stay and help our team next year, if this is his decision then I am behind it 100%.  It's tough to turn down that type of money.  Hopefully he has a nice, long NBA career.

Are you behind it of he doesn't get drafted in the first round?

« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »

Are you behind it of he doesn't get drafted in the first round?

Would you be behind a decision to stay if in less minutes next year his stats slipped and he actually became a 2nd rounder or if he suffered a bad injury?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:52:25 PM by STJ11Redmen »