Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

desco80

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
Good luck in the NBA Moe.  It's been awesome watching him play this year and while we selfishly want him to stay and help our team next year, if this is his decision then I am behind it 100%.  It's tough to turn down that type of money.  Hopefully he has a nice, long NBA career.

Are you behind it of he doesn't get drafted in the first round?

I wish he stayed, but it sounds like he's going to be a mid-first round pick.   If that's the case, he made the right call.  If not?

Neither decision is a "bad" one.   Truth is that next year isn't going to make or break Moe's career; whether he played it in college or the NBA.
It's the 5 seasons after this that will be telling for him. 

MCNPA

« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
If he came back for one more year he'd get himself in the lottery

Losing Moe would be awful for both him and us. What is wrong with making an impact at the college level and at the same time preparing yourself for a career in basketball? The NBA doesn't promote the dozens of kids who wrongfully think they're ready and wind up ignored and overlooked for whatever reason.

It goes deeper than just our players. Kid have been leaving too soon for over 2 decades. The risk is not worth the reward. I saw Lavin brought Harkless to the broadcast both for CBS. Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley could have gotten hurt too. How long did they stay in college?

It's not as good for Moe as he thinks.  I think Nate Blue steering him the wrong way on this one.  Nate goes as far as to call a college coach with almost 1000 wins out as secondly that doesn't know anything about this stuff.  I wish Moe luck.  It's good for SJU having him in the league.  He's not ready yet but it's his choice.  I don't think SJU will be decimated by this at all.  It will hurt for sure because Moe is real good.  We still will only be losing one player and potentially gaining 6 players including a few real good ones.  Agree that both Moe and SJU better off if Moe returned for one more.

« Reply #322 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
Maybe he's having the press conference to announce he just saved a lot of $ by switching to Geico

Poison

« Reply #323 on: March 18, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »
Good luck in the NBA Moe.  It's been awesome watching him play this year and while we selfishly want him to stay and help our team next year, if this is his decision then I am behind it 100%.  It's tough to turn down that type of money.  Hopefully he has a nice, long NBA career.

Would you be behind a decision to stay if in less minutes next year his stats slipped and he actually became a 2nd rounder or if he suffered a bad injury?

Which happens more often?

paultzman

« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Good luck Moe!

BTW, Lavin getting more TV exposure this week than the President.

Poison

« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »

I wish he stayed, but it sounds like he's going to be a mid-first round pick.   If that's the case, he made the right call.  If
not?

Neither decision is a "bad" one.   Truth is that next year isn't going to make or break Moe's career; whether he played it in college or the NBA.

I don't understand how he is in any way an NBA player. I wish him all the best, but I expect to see him in the NBDL next year.

paultzman

« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »
BUT his mom won't have to work her tail off to stay above water.

« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »
All signs point to him leaving but it would be pretty great press if Moe announced at the Garden that he was coming.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »
Awful decision. Who the hell is advising the kid? He would be almost a lock to be a lottery pick next year if he played at the same level at St. John's. He may not even get drafted in the 1st round this year.... Mind boggling.

paultzman

« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »
All signs point to him leaving but it would be pretty great press if Moe announced at the Garden that he was coming.

A pig just flew by your window!

desco80

« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »

I wish he stayed, but it sounds like he's going to be a mid-first round pick.   If that's the case, he made the right call.  If
not?

I don't understand how he is in any way an NBA player. I wish him all the best, but I expect to see him in the NBDL next year.

You think he's getting cut in camp Poison?   Come'on man.   Moe might have weaknesses in his game, but that doesn't mean he won't stick around.   And teams are going to give him a chance based on his potential.  At least for awhile.   

Don't forget he's 18.   That's REAL young for basketball.  Basically teams are probably looking at drafting Moe as they would a HS player a few years ago. 

desco80

« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »
Awful decision. Who the hell is advising the kid? He would be almost a lock to be a lottery pick next year if he played at the same level at St. John's. He may not even get drafted in the 1st round this year.... Mind boggling.

Where is this idea that he won't be drafted in the first round coming from?    Every mock draft out there has him as a first rounder, and every expert or NBA scout quoted has said he's mid to late first round.   

Could he slip?  Sure.   But all the evidence says he's a first rounder.   I don't think we're giving Moe, his family, Lavin, and Nate enough credit here... they asked around and took stock of the situation - clearly Moe's stock has risen a lot in the past month.   Because in February there was no question he was returning.   But scouts are higher on him now.   Good for Moe!

« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
Moe is an NBA player. But I think he could've used another year here to get stronger and develop more. I wish him luck, I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes.

« Reply #333 on: March 18, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »
IF Moe is a top 20 pick this year then this is a good move. It's non of my business what his personal life/finances is like so i'll leave it at that. IMHO I think only 1 or 2 freshman are ready for the NBA every year but unfortunately much more enter. Too many Xavier Henry's, Josh Selby's & Lance Stepehenson's around. I stand my Moe 100% in this decision and will root for him where ever he lands. I trust Moe's, Moe's families & our coaching staffs judgement. I just really hope he doesn't slip and fall during the draft. Congrats Moe, thank you for believing in St. Johns when no one else did & good luck in the NBA I expect him to have a nice career ahead of him

Oh and FWIW I dont think this move hurts us that much next year. I think Jakarr will come in and fill his void nicely along with improvement from returners & a boost from other new comers. Us fans shouldn't worry about next years team

Poison

« Reply #334 on: March 18, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »

If his mom has worked at Applebee's for several years, what's one more year? I want Harkless to go pro, but I want him to make it. Now, who knows? He could slip into the 2nd round, and then we'll never hear from him again. Except on Twitter.

paultzman

« Reply #335 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »

If his mom has worked at Applebee's for several years, what's one more year? I want Harkless to go pro, but I want him to make it. Now, who knows? He could slip into the 2nd round, and then we'll never hear from him again. Except on Twitter.

Lavin and Nate have a better sense of where he goes than you and I. No way he is second round pick.

« Reply #336 on: March 18, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »
Moe's not a second round pick just based on his potential. A lot of the draft is based on potential, which is why you see so many freshman and guys with Moe's body type and skill set are rare.

« Reply #337 on: March 18, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
I agree, family finances aside, he is not ready for the NBA. I more year in college would help more than people think I believe. In all honestly, Anthony Davis is the only freshman ready for the NBA this year. Even Drummond and all the potential he may have is not currently an NBA caliber player. He sucked in the BE, he will be eaten alive in the NBA. Mid to late first round pick is great but spending a year or more in the D league when you could be competing for a high caliber NCAA team in a high caliber conf just doesnt make sense, again this is all money aside which is a big piece of the equation to take out.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #338 on: March 18, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
I'm not saying he's not a first round pick, but it's very possible he can slip into the 2nd round. A lot can happen from now until June. If he stayed and played just as well next year he's a clear lock as a lottery pick.

« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »
Funniest thing is, all concerns on this board, email, twitter, and speaking to various general managers and college coaches other then jim boheim were all taken into account.  Id like to thank everybody for your wishes and dialogue that was seriously brought to moe and lavin and others intention.

The decision announced tomorrow will make alot more sense when you hear it tomorrow lol 

But seriously dont think every option wasnt factored. Im a little smarter then most think. Thats what dumb people say though right lol.  Anyway, have a good one ya.  Dave hit me up!